SportsWrath

Comparing NFC East Records

gmenroc

I'm all for having a strong division. Nothing is more annoying than that stupid NFCLeast moniker they dubbed the division with last year. Every team is considered weak because they play 5-6 games a year against 'weak' opponents. No fun in that.

But there's nothing strong about the way the Giants have been winning compared to other teams in the division. The team is 8th in ppg, which is their strongest stat. Comparatively, the Eagles are 2nd and Dallas is 6th. YPG, Dallas is 5th while NYG are 19th. Defensively, NYG are 18th in ypg and 16th in ppg while Dallas is 8th in points given up per game (21st in ypg.) Do I think the Eagles have been playing the best football in the division? No, Dallas has. To say Dallas only has cupcake wins and play Seattle, Giants, and Arizona while the Giants get the easy games of... Oh, @Philly, @Dallas, Colts, @Seattle, 9ers. Yeah that's an easy stretch.

If the giants go into Philly and Dallas and beat both those teams... then they'll be 5-2 on a bye while knocking both Philly and Dallas to 4-3 or 5-2 each. Then you can talk all about how the giants have the better record and have been playing better football. Saying your more comfortable with 3-2 than 4-1 when your team is about to play the two opponents in the division that have better records followed by the Superbowl winners... insanity.

I'm all for having a strong division. Nothing is more annoying than that stupid NFCLeast moniker they dubbed the division with last year. Every team is considered weak because they play 5-6 games a year against 'weak' opponents. No fun in that.

But there's nothing strong about the way the Giants have been winning compared to other teams in the division. The team is 8th in ppg, which is their strongest stat. Comparatively, the Eagles are 2nd and Dallas is 6th. YPG, Dallas is 5th while NYG are 19th. Defensively, NYG are 18th in ypg and 16th in ppg while Dallas is 8th in points given up per game (21st in ypg.) Do I think the Eagles have been playing the best football in the division? No, Dallas has. To say Dallas only has cupcake wins and play Seattle, Giants, and Arizona while the Giants get the easy games of... Oh, @Philly, @Dallas, Colts, @Seattle, 9ers. Yeah that's an easy stretch.

If the giants go into Philly and Dallas and beat both those teams... then they'll be 5-2 on a bye while knocking both Philly and Dallas to 4-3 or 5-2 each. Then you can talk all about how the giants have the better record and have been playing better football. Saying your more comfortable with 3-2 than 4-1 when your team is about to play the two opponents in the division that have better records followed by the Superbowl winners... insanity.

Oh, I get it. They're not saying the coming games are easy--the end of the schedule is easy (Jags, Titans, Washington, Rams), comparatively speaking. The next few games are gonna be a bitch.

Well I just think the whole "I'd rather be 3-2 than 4-1" is ludicrous. 1 win is often the difference between postseason and couch in the NFL. But I agree with you, saying one team is weak or strong after 5 weeks is way too early. Jax could win out and be 11-5... who knows? Certainly didn't expect the Saints to be 2-3.

Cowboys

L - San Francisco

W - @ Tennessee

W - @ St. Louis

W - New Orleans

W - Houston

**Tennessee and I'd argue St. Louis are both cupcake wins. Houston, they barely beat. New Orleans was a solid win. San Francisco got a defensive TD and Dallas still ran for over 100 yards. It would seem to me, that the Cowboys record of 4-1 has the talking heads and power rankings people inflating them a bit given that 40% of their games were against some of the worst teams in the league. With Seattle, the Giants, and Arizona representing 3 of the next 4 games, I'd think that the Cowboys have the opportunity to prove their current ranking...or in at least my opinion, get a dose of reality and come back to Earth a bit.

Eagles

W - Jacksonville

W - @ Indianapolis

W - Washington

L - @ San Francisco

W - St. Louis

**Jacksonville, Washington, St. Louis...I'd consider in the worst 10 teams in the league. The Eagles scraped by a Washington team that the Giants detroyed just a week later. The Indianapolis game was a solid win. Now, before I go any further, there is definitely something to be said about a team winning the games they're supposed to...but I don't see the Eagles as a top 5 team. The Eagles schedule is super friendly early...but the second half is loaded with division games, Seattle, Green Bay, Carolina, and even Arizona is still sitting there. There is plenty of room for them to falter and given the inconsistencies they've displayed on offense against teams they SHOULD beat, I have to believe they're more overrated than the Cowboys at this point.

Redskins

L - @ Houston

W - Jacksonville

L - @ Philadelphia

L - NY Giants

L - Seattle

**Well, their only win is against the worst team in the league. They're on the same level with the Raiders, Jaguars, Buccs, Titans... but I'd hold the Rams and Jets even, above the Redskins. That said, they played tough against Seattle (even though I don't feel this game was as close as the score - see 3 TDs being called back for Percy Harvin). With Washington's defense giving up 37, 45, and 27 (again, should've been much more)...I can't offer much hope for this team...aside from maybe Tennessee and Minnesota in the not too distant future...games they SHOULD win, but that yours truly, would not bet on with someone else's money.

Giants

L - @ Detroit

L - Arizona

W - Houston

W - @ Washington

W - Atlanta

**The loss to Detroit was a bad one. For whatever reason, the Giants were overmatched from whistle to whistle, and perhaps what's worse, is that I don't believe anyone else in the NFC East will have to deal with Detroit in the regular season. I think Detroit has improved dramatically and will push for a division title in the North...and that, coupled with new personnel/new offense, could explain part of that loss...but you can't spin that loss completely to the point of explaining it away. Arizona was a tough loss, but I believe we let that one get away by shooting ourselves in the foot. 4 turnovers AND allowing a punt return for a TD....and we only lost by 11. We were in the game in the 4th qtr before the mistakes finally caught up to us. Also, Cardinals aren't a team to necessarily scoff at. The Houston win and the Atlanta win were convincing to me, that the Gaints are to be reckoned with...or are at least not the destitute pushovers they were in week one.

Very insightful. :laugh:

To wrap it up, if you look at the games played, even ignoring the bias of being a Giants fan - I think I'm more comfortable being 3-2 with the games we've played than 4-1 with the games the Cowboys and Eagles have played

cuckoo-clock-o.gif

"Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo."

Don't be mad bro, you're not the one saying inane things like you'd rather be 3-2 than 4-1.

haha, he had a point though, it was sound reasoning if all you have to look at is wins, losses, and the schedule.

However, having seen every snap of Giants football this season I wasn't buying it.

Saying that you think your team is stronger than their record implies is fine. Saying your rivals aren't as good as their record implies is also fine. Saying you'd rather be 3-2 than 4-1 is rere material.

giants are now 3-4, if they were 4-1 they'd be 4-3. The difference is staggering. Carla gave up on the giants and is now rooting for the Cowboys since the giants have a losing record.

Saying that you think your team is stronger than their record implies is fine. Saying your rivals aren't as good as their record implies is also fine. Saying you'd rather be 3-2 than 4-1 is rere material.

giants are now 3-4, if they were 4-1 they'd be 4-3. The difference is staggering. Carla gave up on the giants and is now rooting for the Cowboys since the giants have a losing record.

The difference between 4-3 and 3-4 is 'staggering'?... either way they're fucking mediocre.

Cowboys

L - San Francisco

W - @ Tennessee

W - @ St. Louis

W - New Orleans

W - Houston

**Tennessee and I'd argue St. Louis are both cupcake wins. Houston, they barely beat. New Orleans was a solid win. San Francisco got a defensive TD and Dallas still ran for over 100 yards. It would seem to me, that the Cowboys record of 4-1 has the talking heads and power rankings people inflating them a bit given that 40% of their games were against some of the worst teams in the league. With Seattle, the Giants, and Arizona representing 3 of the next 4 games, I'd think that the Cowboys have the opportunity to prove their current ranking...or in at least my opinion, get a dose of reality and come back to Earth a bit.

Eagles

W - Jacksonville

W - @ Indianapolis

W - Washington

L - @ San Francisco

W - St. Louis

**Jacksonville, Washington, St. Louis...I'd consider in the worst 10 teams in the league. The Eagles scraped by a Washington team that the Giants detroyed just a week later. The Indianapolis game was a solid win. Now, before I go any further, there is definitely something to be said about a team winning the games they're supposed to...but I don't see the Eagles as a top 5 team. The Eagles schedule is super friendly early...but the second half is loaded with division games, Seattle, Green Bay, Carolina, and even Arizona is still sitting there. There is plenty of room for them to falter and given the inconsistencies they've displayed on offense against teams they SHOULD beat, I have to believe they're more overrated than the Cowboys at this point.

Redskins

L - @ Houston

W - Jacksonville

L - @ Philadelphia

L - NY Giants

L - Seattle

**Well, their only win is against the worst team in the league. They're on the same level with the Raiders, Jaguars, Buccs, Titans... but I'd hold the Rams and Jets even, above the Redskins. That said, they played tough against Seattle (even though I don't feel this game was as close as the score - see 3 TDs being called back for Percy Harvin). With Washington's defense giving up 37, 45, and 27 (again, should've been much more)...I can't offer much hope for this team...aside from maybe Tennessee and Minnesota in the not too distant future...games they SHOULD win, but that yours truly, would not bet on with someone else's money.

Giants

L - @ Detroit

L - Arizona

W - Houston

W - @ Washington

W - Atlanta

**The loss to Detroit was a bad one. For whatever reason, the Giants were overmatched from whistle to whistle, and perhaps what's worse, is that I don't believe anyone else in the NFC East will have to deal with Detroit in the regular season. I think Detroit has improved dramatically and will push for a division title in the North...and that, coupled with new personnel/new offense, could explain part of that loss...but you can't spin that loss completely to the point of explaining it away. Arizona was a tough loss, but I believe we let that one get away by shooting ourselves in the foot. 4 turnovers AND allowing a punt return for a TD....and we only lost by 11. We were in the game in the 4th qtr before the mistakes finally caught up to us. Also, Cardinals aren't a team to necessarily scoff at. The Houston win and the Atlanta win were convincing to me, that the Gaints are to be reckoned with...or are at least not the destitute pushovers they were in week one.

Do you want to try this again?

Obviously a creature of habit. Although it wasn't until the 2nd meeting between the Eagles and Giants last year that he threw in the towell.