SportsWrath

If McAdoo's plan worked

Bigblue25

Running back wasnt my first choice but hes a good player and it could easily end up being the best move they couldve made. I certainly appreciate them not gambling with the pick if there was wasnt a consensus qb choice

Gettleman explained it after the draft. There was no consensus among Giants staff as to which QB to draft. Half said Darnold and the rest chose the other QB's. Everyone agreed we drafted the best player available in the draft. :giants:

that's right, as far as I know that's all we've heard about it.... and yet you see another narrative time and again - that we didn't draft a QB because the Giants thought so highly of Webb. That is probably wishful thinking.

If they loved any of the remaining qbs I think they wouldve drafted them. Nobody prefers Adrian Peterson over Tom Brady. If Im running a team and Im not in love with a qb then theres absolutely no way Im gambling with the second pick. I dont think Eli and his one year left on the contract deterred them from taking a qb they loved

Not at all and i am saying it now if eli plays anyway decent this year the giants will extend him a year at least. We are talking about a qb who has been healthy his entire career.

If barkley pans like tbe player expected our entire offense will be converted. 4 guys on offense you have to respect. Think back see when was the last time we had this.

The point is that nobody would prefer the best case running back scenario over the best case qb scenario. The worst case qb scenario goes without saying

Exactly my point. Especially considering you can get RB's later in probably the same ilk as Barkley. They are paying high money for that position

I picked those guys because I thought that was aaaaalmost a close value comp.... but not quite, imo - hall of fame RB over mediocre QB.

too bad it doesnt prove your point- or any point. I can sit down and write 30 RB high pick busts with very little thought.

I believe in positional value too, but I think if its a choice between a transcendent talent and a guy you think is only going to be a decent QB, you go talent every time.

Lawrence Taylor, LB, 2nd overall --- do we care that he wasn't a QB?

Premium Pass rusher is way better than a premium RB but yeah i def agree. I have no interest in a qb there unless hes a slam dunk

All things being equal you pick a qb over a rb... things were not equal for the Giants:

1. Barkley is once in a generation talent... this maybe premature but he has Barry Sanders-like moves.

2. The Giants had a young qb on the roster who has as much potential as any of the top qbs in the draft.

I think the decision to draft Barkley was an easy one.

Premium Pass rusher is way better than a premium RB but yeah i def agree. I have no interest in a qb there unless hes a slam dunk

I dunno most premium RBs can carry a team to a victory look at Tiki, while most premium pass rushers are lucky to make an impact on a game that will win it.

I dunno most premium RBs can carry a team to a victory look at Tiki, while most premium pass rushers are lucky to make an impact on a game that will win it.

i think purely from a gameplay standpoint you have an argument but premium rushers being so hard to find is why they are typically more valuable and get paid more. We are in a golden age for them lately with watt, miller, Mack, and a few others but usually they are hard to find and therefore get treated like gold. That said, I did believe Barkley was on another level than Chubb so I was fine with passing on the latter for the former

too bad it doesnt prove your point- or any point. I can sit down and write 30 RB high pick busts with very little thought.

not so much of a point as a thought experiment.

… the point being, at some point the talent matters more than the position.

I could have used Jamarcus Russell as the example, but I thought that was too easy a choice.

i think purely from a gameplay standpoint you have an argument but premium rushers being so hard to find is why they are typically more valuable and get paid more. We are in a golden age for them lately with watt, miller, Mack, and a few others but usually they are hard to find and therefore get treated like gold. That said, I did believe Barkley was on another level than Chubb so I was fine with passing on the latter for the former

I agree, these guys coming out of college can get after a QB unlike previous years.

I just think coming down to it, I'd rather have a Bell/Johnson/Elliot than a Watt or Mack on the team right now.

Now if 5 years from now Darnold is the next Peyton Manning and the Giants are struggling to win any games because when Eli retires whoever they throw in at QB doesnt work out, I think everyone who wanted a QB can say something. Luckily if/when Barkley pans out any QB the Giants get as their next franchise guy will have a lot of help, especially with OBJ and Engram hopefully still on the team at that point.

However this is all conjecture as every year there are multiple "guys" who no team should of past on in previous drafts because they are the next great thing.