SportsWrath

My Annual Offseason Strategy Thread will be completed soon

Money

Money,

assuming it's not a "live" mock and each team will be given a set amount of time to make a selection, I'll participate if you still have openings. However if your setting a day and time to knock out the whole thing, similar to a fantasy draft, then I'm out.

Well, I remember last year it was I think a 6 hour period for drafting per each team at least for the early rounds I believe and I like that better then the half hour drafting periods. Some of us here actually do have jobs, school, lives, etc.

Money,

assuming it's not a "live" mock and each team will be given a set amount of time to make a selection, I'll participate if you still have openings. However if your setting a day and time to knock out the whole thing, similar to a fantasy draft, then I'm out.

No, it won't be the same as a fantasy draft. I think will do something like this (for example):

Picks 1-16 will take place between 7:00-8:00 PM on April 1.

Picks 17-32 will take place between 7:00-8:00 PM on April 2.

..and so on...

There are two benefits to this structure. First, if someone has, say, the 14th pick, but will be unavailable during that time slot, they can send me a 16-player big board in advance and I will automatically select the highest rated player on their board. That is much easier than requiring people to submit a 96-player big board. Next, such a structure enables the draft to be run much more efficiently ... we can knock out a 3-round mock in 6 days, or 12 overall hours. Compare that to last year's format, where each team had upwards of 6 hours to make their selection ... the mock became a time-consuming, several-week process.

I will do my best to find the most optimal time slots, but this strategy maximizes efficiency and minimizes controversy (if all GMs are responsible, then I won't have to make selections for them). Less overall work for the GMs and those involved in running the show.

So Money, you ready to do all the work? I'll be willing to bet half the people involved won't be able to make their pick in time and you will.

How does it work? Whenever you're ready, you make the pick? So if the person before you picks, how long can you take to make a pick?

So Money, you ready to do all the work? I'll be willing to bet half the people involved won't be able to make their pick in time and you will.

How does it work? Whenever you're ready, you make the pick? So if the person before you picks, how long can you take to make a pick?

I did a ton of work for last year's mock (thank god for people like barens, Pizan, and Hank who helped me), so almost anything will be less work by comparison.

Here is an explanation. Let's look at the people with the picks 1-16 ... prior to the time slot, all GMs must submit a big board that corresponds to their drafting position. In others words, the Texans GM can submit a 1-player big board, the Saints GM can submit a 2-player big board, the Titans GM can submit a 3-player big board, and so on. The Jets GM (picking 4th) only has to send me a list of 4 guys, because at least 1 of those guys will be available. Meanwhile, the guy picking 15th has to send me a list of at least 16 players, in case his 15 top choices are off the board.

People have to let me know in advance if they will be there or not. For people who aren't there, they will automatically select the highest (available) ranked player on their big board. For people who will be there, they will have a set time on the clock after the person in front of them picks (say, 5 minutes). If someone's time expires without them submitting a selection, then they are assigned the highest player available on their big board. At most, the process takes 80 minutes (16 picks x 5 minutes) instead of an hour.

Here's an example. Let's say I'm the Bills GM and I'm picking 8th overall. My big board may look something like this:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

2. Haloti Ngata

3. Mario Williams

4. AJ Hawk

5. Michael Huff

6. Vernon Davis

7. Winston Justice

8. Tamba Hali

Obviously I excluded guys like Bush, Leinart, and Young because I already have McGahee and Losman. Someone picking 14th, for example, may exclude those players because he knows they won't even be available.

Now let's say I either inform the Commish that I will miss my time slot, or I space out altogether and my time on the clock expires, and the first 7 picks of the mock unfolds like this:

1. Reggie Bush

2. Matt Leinart

3. Vince Young

4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

5. Mario Williams

6. AJ Hawk

7. Michael Huff

Then, the Commish will select Haloti Ngata 8th overall on my behalf.

This is very simple stuff.

I did a ton of work for last year's mock (thank god for people like barens, Pizan, and Hank who helped me), so almost anything will be less work by comparison.

Here is an explanation. Let's look at the people with the picks 1-16 ... prior to the time slot, all GMs must submit a big board that corresponds to their drafting position. In others words, the Texans GM can submit a 1-player big board, the Saints GM can submit a 2-player big board, the Titans GM can submit a 3-player big board, and so on. The Jets GM (picking 4th) only has to send me a list of 4 guys, because at least 1 of those guys will be available. Meanwhile, the guy picking 15th has to send me a list of at least 16 players, in case his 15 top choices are off the board.

People have to let me know in advance if they will be there or not. For people who aren't there, they will automatically select the highest (available) ranked player on their big board. For people who will be there, they will have a set time on the clock after the person in front of them picks (say, 5 minutes). If someone's time expires without them submitting a selection, then they are assigned the highest player available on their big board. At most, the process takes 80 minutes (16 picks x 5 minutes) instead of an hour.

Here's an example. Let's say I'm the Bills GM and I'm picking 8th overall. My big board may look something like this:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

2. Haloti Ngata

3. Mario Williams

4. AJ Hawk

5. Michael Huff

6. Vernon Davis

7. Winston Justice

8. Tamba Hali

Obviously I excluded guys like Bush, Leinart, and Young because I already have McGahee and Losman. Someone picking 14th, for example, may exclude those players because he knows they won't even be available.

Now let's say I either inform the Commish that I will miss my time slot, or I space out altogether and my time on the clock expires, and the first 7 picks of the mock unfolds like this:

1. Reggie Bush

2. Matt Leinart

3. Vince Young

4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

5. Mario Williams

6. AJ Hawk

7. Michael Huff

Then, the Commish will select Haloti Ngata 8th overall on my behalf.

This is very simple stuff.

It's not as simple as you make it seem.

Let's say I take the Cardinals. First off, why should I make a list of 10 guys? Why can't I just give you 5 or 6 guys who I think will be around? The example you had you #2 pick was your pick. If guys actually know the draft (and I hope they would), they won't need to put 10 guys on a list.

By you're method, whoever has the Steelers pick, I feel sorry for.

Secondly, I might be around on the day but not on the site (cuz we are all busy people). It's not fun when you're out for an hour and you miss the entire draft process simply because you don't want it to drag out. It's not fun, but a 2 hour limit isn't awful. 5 minutes is redonkulous. I saw a draft like this where people had 4 hours to make the picks and the head GM (you in this case) still had to make half the picks. He did it in a very organized method and he still had to make more than half the picks.

You got an take a shit and you miss you're pick. How is that fun? What else are you so busy doing that you have to have redonkulous time limits on it? Just make your own draft and then have a game like this with better times.

It's not as simple as you make it seem.

Let's say I take the Cardinals. First off, why should I make a list of 10 guys? Why can't I just give you 5 or 6 guys who I think will be around? The example you had you #2 pick was your pick. If guys actually know the draft (and I hope they would), they won't need to put 10 guys on a list.

By you're method, whoever has the Steelers pick, I feel sorry for.

Secondly, I might be around on the day but not on the site (cuz we are all busy people). It's not fun when you're out for an hour and you miss the entire draft process simply because you don't want it to drag out. It's not fun, but a 2 hour limit isn't awful. 5 minutes is redonkulous. I saw a draft like this where people had 4 hours to make the picks and the head GM (you in this case) still had to make half the picks. He did it in a very organized method and he still had to make more than half the picks.

You got an take a shit and you miss you're pick. How is that fun? What else are you so busy doing that you have to have redonkulous time limits on it? Just make your own draft and then have a game like this with better times.

If you're the Cards GM, and 5-6 guys you send me happen to be all off the board, then what? Pick for you? Wait until you return? Is it so difficult to put together a list of anywhere from 1-16 players?! There needs to be guidelines in place, even if they are somewhat extreme. Remember, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Last year, we had a 4 round mock where GMs were given 6 hours to make thier picks. Despite my insistance, very few people sent in big boards and I ended up having to make picks for them in order to expedite the draft process. This resulted in complaints, wasted time, and people quitting altogether. And the mock still took way to long.

If you miss your pick, but submitted your list (which, again, is at most 16 players), then you will automatically take the highest player on your board. How can that be upsetting? If you put any thought into your list, then you will 100% get the guy you would have taken. Refer to my Bills example and read it carefully.

If you don't like the process, that's fine ... you don't have to participate if you don't want to. But I won't take another "give everyone a ton of time and see what happens approach" similar to last year ... that's too much work for me and anyone who helps.

If you're the Cards GM, and 5-6 guys you send me happen to be all off the board, then what? Pick for you? Wait until you return? Is it so difficult to put together a list of anywhere from 1-16 players?! There needs to be guidelines in place, even if they are somewhat extreme. Remember, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Last year, we had a 4 round mock where GMs were given 6 hours to make thier picks. Despite my insistance, very few people sent in big boards and I ended up having to make picks for them in order to expedite the draft process. This resulted in complaints, wasted time, and people quitting altogether. And the mock still took way to long.

If you miss your pick, but submitted your list (which, again, is at most 16 players), then you will automatically take the highest player on your board. How can that be upsetting? If you put any thought into your list, then you will 100% get the guy you would have taken. Refer to my Bills example and read it carefully.

If you don't like the process, that's fine ... you don't have to participate if you don't want to. But I won't take another "give everyone a ton of time and see what happens approach" similar to last year ... that's too much work for me and anyone who helps.

If you follow the draft, you should have a decent idea of who will be avaliable? I wouldn't put Bush, Young, Leinart, Hawk, or Williams there, simply because I think they'd all be off). I don't think you need 10 guys. It's just a pain.

Give people time slots. Listen to this situation.

Let's say we start this on a Saturday (a decent day, some people are off, kids are off from school). Start at 8 AM

Texans - 8 AM to 9 AM

Saints - 9 AM to 10 AM

Titans - 11 AM to 11 AM

And so on and so forth. It gives people a knowledge of when they'll pick. If they can't make it, they'll send you the big board. It allows people to think about the picks.

If you follow the draft, you should have a decent idea of who will be avaliable? I wouldn't put Bush, Young, Leinart, Hawk, or Williams there, simply because I think they'd all be off). I don't think you need 10 guys. It's just a pain.

Give people time slots. Listen to this situation.

Let's say we start this on a Saturday (a decent day, some people are off, kids are off from school). Start at 8 AM

Texans - 8 AM to 9 AM

Saints - 9 AM to 10 AM

Titans - 11 AM to 11 AM

And so on and so forth. It gives people a knowledge of when they'll pick. If they can't make it, they'll send you the big board. It allows people to think about the picks.

Asking for a minimum of 10 guys if you pick 10th is just a policy to protect against small miscalculation. Sure, you could probably get away with sending a small list. But what happens if something is completely unexpected? Like I said, there have to be strong guidelines in place ... its better to err on the side of caution.

The idea of time slotting is nice, however, it means someone has to be around all day to run the thing and monitor picks (make picks on other people's behalf). Also, do you think the Texans GM will want to get up at 8 AM to make a pick in a mock draft? What happens if the Texans make their pick at 8:01 AM? Seems silly if the Saints have to wait 59 minutes before being on the clock.

I've seen mock run in that capacity, and they have benefits. I will certainly consider it, and possibly try to develop a better idea.

Asking for a minimum of 10 guys if you pick 10th is just a policy to protect against small miscalculation. Sure, you could probably get away with sending a small list. But what happens if something is completely unexpected? Like I said, there have to be strong guidelines in place ... its better to err on the side of caution.

The idea of time slotting is nice, however, it means someone has to be around all day to run the thing and monitor picks (make picks on other people's behalf). Also, do you think the Texans GM will want to get up at 8 AM to make a pick in a mock draft? What happens if the Texans make their pick at 8:01 AM? Seems silly if the Saints have to wait 59 minutes before being on the clock.

I've seen mock run in that capacity, and they have benefits. I will certainly consider it, and possibly try to develop a better idea.

Tell people to look at draft boards and get a good idea of when guys might go.

That was just an example, but it could work. If the person makes a pick at 8:01, the next person can go. However, if the guy with the Cards pick can't make it until his alotted time, that's when he'll pick and it'll slow stuff down. Annoying, yes, but fair I think.

I think it's better to give people time slots than to give people 5 minutes, which could start at any moment.

Tell people to look at draft boards and get a good idea of when guys might go.

That was just an example, but it could work. If the person makes a pick at 8:01, the next person can go. However, if the guy with the Cards pick can't make it until his alotted time, that's when he'll pick and it'll slow stuff down. Annoying, yes, but fair I think.

I think it's better to give people time slots than to give people 5 minutes, which could start at any moment.

I see assigning someone a 1 hour time slot no different than saying "you and other people will be picking within this 60-80 minute" span. It's the same concept.

I see assigning someone a 1 hour time slot no different than saying "you and other people will be picking within this 60-80 minute" span. It's the same concept.

I do. If you organize it, the chances of people making their pick are actually somewhat decent, I think. That way you know if people can't make the pics period (hopefully they tell you if they can't) and while you may wait for people, I think fairness is key.

If you're looking for time, why not just make it NFL draft style and go 15 minutes? It gives people enough time to get on here, see what's happening, try to spin a trade (I don't know what your ruling on that is), and then pick.

5 minutes? Not enough time.

Money, assuming you have slots left I can likely commit to this. With a baby on the way I have a bit of an x-factor but I should be able to swing it. If I think I can't pull it pff I'll touch base with you at least a week prior so you can fill my slot. Assuming spots are available, let me know what teams I have to choose from so I can begin my homework.

Money, assuming you have slots left I can likely commit to this. With a baby on the way I have a bit of an x-factor but I should be able to swing it. If I think I can't pull it pff I'll touch base with you at least a week prior so you can fill my slot. Assuming spots are available, let me know what teams I have to choose from so I can begin my homework.

I do not plan on doing the mock until early April. Once I start getting the wheels in motion, you will be one of the first people I contact about taking a team ... I plan on rewarding people I trust and people who helped/participated last year with the first choices of teams. I'll be reprising my role as Giants GM, but don't shriek in horror -- my selections last year (done prior to free agency) included Marion Barber and Lofa Tatupu...

I could, in theory, start organizing it now, however, I'd prefer the craze of free agency to die down before getting people focused on the draft.

I do. If you organize it, the chances of people making their pick are actually somewhat decent, I think. That way you know if people can't make the pics period (hopefully they tell you if they can't) and while you may wait for people, I think fairness is key.

If you're looking for time, why not just make it NFL draft style and go 15 minutes? It gives people enough time to get on here, see what's happening, try to spin a trade (I don't know what your ruling on that is), and then pick.

5 minutes? Not enough time.

No trades, period.

I'm somewhat flexible with the time allotted to submit a selection, but are you honestly gonna take issue with a few minutes?

No trades, period.

I'm somewhat flexible with the time allotted to submit a selection, but are you honestly gonna take issue with a few minutes?

Here's my problem with that.

Lets say the draft starts at, oh I dont know, 4 PM EST. Again, lets say I have the Cards pick (so #10). I sign on at 4:05 and see the Texans have made their pick. Then I stay on and see that you've had to make the next 4 picks (which would take about 20 minutes). I say "Man, this is going slower than I thought" and I go make myself a sandwich. While I'm gone, picks 6-9 go without a minute of each other, putting me on the clock. I miss it because people decided to show up. My fault, but pretty unfair.

On the other hand, time slots allows me to know when exactly I'm going to pick. I could sign on throughout the day to see if enough people have pick, allowing me to pick ahead of schedule. If I see they have not, I wait. If they have, I make a pick. It'd take longer and you could run into major waits, but I'd take it over "Hey guys, we're starting, hope you get to pick".

Here's my problem with that.

Lets say the draft starts at, oh I dont know, 4 PM EST. Again, lets say I have the Cards pick (so #10). I sign on at 4:05 and see the Texans have made their pick. Then I stay on and see that you've had to make the next 4 picks (which would take about 20 minutes). I say "Man, this is going slower than I thought" and I go make myself a sandwich. While I'm gone, picks 6-9 go without a minute of each other, putting me on the clock. I miss it because people decided to show up. My fault, but pretty unfair.

On the other hand, time slots allows me to know when exactly I'm going to pick. I could sign on throughout the day to see if enough people have pick, allowing me to pick ahead of schedule. If I see they have not, I wait. If they have, I make a pick. It'd take longer and you could run into major waits, but I'd take it over "Hey guys, we're starting, hope you get to pick".

According to my set-up, you know you are exactly going to pick somewhere between 4 PM and 5:20 PM. And if you submit your list, you get the guy you would have taken should you miss the pick.

Look, I appreciate you inout, but as of right now, I'm not going to drastically alter the draft set-up.

I like the originally idea Money came up with. I dont like the idea of time periods like we did last year.. Also I think everyone should have to send a list to two members. One to Money and one to someone else, like the person who picks behind you. So if you all of a sudden getting the craving for a sandwich you have people who have your list. And if they are both not on at the time, send it to somebody who is before you leave to make that sandwich.

People who want to participate are going to need to be responsible. If you have a problem with that, dont sign up. Give another person who will be here and be responsible the chance to be apart of this.

I like the originally idea Money came up with. I dont like the idea of time periods like we did last year.. Also I think everyone should have to send a list to two members. One to Money and one to someone else, like the person who picks behind you. So if you all of a sudden getting the craving for a sandwich you have people who have your list. And if they are both not on at the time, send it to somebody who is before you leave to make that sandwich.

People who want to participate are going to need to be responsible. If you have a problem with that, dont sign up. Give another person who will be here and be responsible the chance to be apart of this.

Last year it was evident that such an operation can only work if people involved are micromanaged and forced to work within strong guidelines. Otherwise, it results in missed picks, complaints, people quitting, etc. That type of stuff is avoidable, but those of involved in orchestarting the mock draft have to take somewhat extreme measures to ensure that. Ideally, 32 responsible GMs will volunteer to participate, but that's not something I want to bank on.