SportsWrath

OBJ's GQ Interview

Iceman_NYG

The problem with your comparison to Browns is that Brown wanted off the Steelers and was getting into arguments with the team in the locker room, not to mention he basically benched himself the final week for the season by not showing up to any practice.

OBJ showed up and did what again to that effect? Did he ever ask to be released? Was he getting into fights in the locker room? Outside of the mysterious benching circumstances which I assume has more to do with the Giants trying to prevent injury to a player they planned on trading.

The Steelers made it known they wanted Brown gone due to his actions and took the first offer they could get, teams knew they were desperate to trade the disgruntled WR.

The Giants activley shopped OBJ trying to get teams to pony up a package worthy of a top 5 WR.

Instead they had to settle for table scraps from the Browns in project safety and a 1st round pick not even inside the top 15 lol

Well there was that one time he got his ass kicked by a field goal practice net. Sure that doesnt count as a locker room fight, but it was still pretty pathetic

Does he really believe the only reason they were on TV is because of him? My goodness, how does he walk around carrying that ego? Truth is, as good as he is, it never translated into anything special as far as the team was concerned. The one chance he had to enter into greatness, he completely blew it. I don't think the Miami trip had anything to do with that either. Could very well be that he just chokes in big games. Surprised he even made it that far into the season without getting hurt.

The only complaint I agree with is we should have traded him sooner.

Please for the love of God, please let the Giants have a great year. If for nothing more then to show him he wasn't anywhere near as special or important as he believes he is.

I hope Eli has a great year...

I mean the 60 million over the course of the two years, I didnt take into account the remaining time on his contract with the Browns, so subtract 25+ or so from it.

I still don't understand why people think we off loaded some massive contract.

The top three cap hits on the team still are Eli/Solder/Jenkins and now Tate is actually up there as well with the guaranteed money.

And all three can be offloaded by this time next year.

How so? I already said the Browns messed the whole situation up and handled it as bad as the Giants handled OBJ.

I think OBJ would of fetched more if a team could give them a contract they would want, not one already laid out by the Giants.

Some team could of easily given the Giants more THEN resigned him, look at what the Raiders did with Brown for example, and would of been in a better position.

It's not a hidden fact teams would much rather take a player on with a contract they negotiated instead of trying to work around one.

It's one of the good things about the OBJ trade, Peppers is still on his rookie contract, he fails they can let him go without any repercussion, he succeeds, then they can pay him with that 80+ million cap space they'll have on a contract they negotiate.

Here's why he was more valuable under contract: as a free agent, there are a short list of locales he would have considered. Cleveland surely wouldn't have made the list. They wouldn't have traded for him if he were not under contract because they surely would not have been able to resign him except on the franchise tag.

Because the Giants paid the signing bonus, another team would have been incredibly unlikely to sign Beckham to a more favorable contract. That would be pretty damn foolish for another team to not want a player merely because they didn't negotiate the contract.

And all three can be offloaded by this time next year.

So trading OBJ did what then? If his cap hit goes down in 2020?

Here's why he was more valuable under contract: as a free agent, there are a short list of locales he would have considered. Cleveland surely wouldn't have made the list. They wouldn't have traded for him if he were not under contract because they surely would not have been able to resign him except on the franchise tag.

Because the Giants paid the signing bonus, another team would have been incredibly unlikely to sign Beckham to a more favorable contract. That would be pretty damn foolish for another team to not want a player merely because they didn't negotiate the contract.

And you know this how?

Team do it all the time, they trade for a player and immediately give him an extension/contract of their terms, even with only one year left on this current contract.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/grading-the-dee-ford-trade-and-contract-extension/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926126/article/browns-wr-jarvis-landry-signs-fiveyear-extension

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brandin-cooks-signs-five-year-contract-extension-worth-80-million-with-rams/

Notice some of these are big name WRs who are getting extensions AFTER being traded.

Look at the big trades in the NFL, most of the time the player signs a new contract with the team they get traded too.

So trading OBJ did what then? If his cap hit goes down in 2020?

And you know this how?

Team do it all the time, they trade for a player and immediately give him an extension/contract of their terms, even with only one year left on this current contract.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/grading-the-dee-ford-trade-and-contract-extension/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926126/article/browns-wr-jarvis-landry-signs-fiveyear-extension

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brandin-cooks-signs-five-year-contract-extension-worth-80-million-with-rams/

Notice some of these are big name WRs who are getting extensions AFTER being traded.

Look at the big trades in the NFL, most of the time the player signs a new contract with the team they get traded too.

After all your speculation based on faulty info, you're asking ME what I'm basing my opinion on? Lol! Okay bro.

Generally the player agrees to the terms of the extension before the trade. Nobody is going to trade for an unsigned player unless they know beforehand they'll be able to retain him.

As for what I'm basing my opinion on, partly on OBJs comments about wanting to play somewhere helpful to his brand; he has specifically mentioned LA if I recall correctly (although that may have been 'his people').

And partly reading between the lines on his reaction to the trade.

After all your speculation based on faulty info, you're asking ME what I'm basing my opinion on? Lol! Okay bro.

Generally the player agrees to the terms of the extension before the trade. Nobody is going to trade for an unsigned player unless they know beforehand they'll be able to retain him.

As for what I'm basing my opinion on, partly on OBJs comments about wanting to play somewhere helpful to his brand; he has specifically mentioned LA if I recall correctly (although that may have been 'his people').

And partly reading between the lines on his reaction to the trade.

Whoa whoa settle down. don't need to break out the B word here lol

I gave you clear examples of players who were on the last year of their contract who were traded and signed an extension with the new team to answer what you said;

"They wouldn't have traded for him if he were not under contract because they surely would not have been able to resign him except on the franchise tag."

Since your saying it would of been more difficult to trade OBJ prior to the contract extension, or any player for that matter if they are on their last year of a contract. The Giants could of easily worked out a trade with another team, the Pats/Packers and even Rams before he signed his contract. Sure OBJ would of had to agree to an extension but even you think he wanted out of NY so why wouldn't of he of agreed to a new team/contract? Why would any player turn down MORE MONEY and a new team if they are getting traded? lol

Heck the Browns traded for Landry who only had a single year left on his contract THEN gave him a huge extension lol

I understand what you're trying to say that it would of been harder to trade him but from everything that's happened in the NFL if a team wants a player bad enough, they will make a trade work.

Which brings me to my whole point about the trade.

It wasn't logical in the slightest. Financially it made no sense since the biggest cap eaters on the team ARE STILL ON THE TEAM, and OBJs contract actually decreases in 2020 when we have a superposed 80+ million in a cap space.

And also we got lesser value for a player of his ability in return.

Which in my mind says that the Giants WANTED to get rid of OBJ for some reason that no one will probably ever know, maybe OBJ said "If we lose another season I'm gonna ask for a trade" in passing to a coach or player and then Mara found out about it. Maybe they just figured he would become a problem in another losing season with more interviews and antics, so they just were desperate (much like the Steelers) to move OBJ.

Because otherwise this trade is just plain stupid lol which was my whole point.

My biggest issue with the Beckham trade is only that the Giants has and have nothing at WR behind him. The Steelers have Smith Shuster who is going to be a top 5 WR this year. The Giants have Shepard, a chain mover, and an aging, ineffective Golden Tate (at least last year). Im hoping between Coleman and Engram, Beckhams production can be covered but the big play ability still isnt there.

I dont think OBJ has a problem with being traded - just that they he was handled during the trade like some commodity is what made him lose his shit. If the Giants had informed him upfront that this was the plan he wouldnt be getting his panties in a bunch. He is not calling out his team mates or the giants organisation or anything. He even said he has the utmost respect for Mara.

Brown on the other hand fell off the deep end right after that live FB video. Ever since then he has been a bitch extraordinaire! Plus the rise of Juju didnt help matters. He just couldnt handle Ben Rapistburger and his BS of throwing team mates under the bus.

If this were an isolated interview, the comments would be fine. And I get that he is going to be asked about the trade and the Giants the same way Tiki was used by the media, but its July, and this guy has not stopped talking shit about the Giants since being traded. Its JULY, he should be all in on the new team, the Giants shouldn't even be something he thinks about at this point, but every week there is a new headline on espn about OBJ talking shit about the Giants. I get he feels disrespected, but spare me. Great talent, but it is becoming clear why he was traded.

My biggest issue with the Beckham trade is only that the Giants has and have nothing at WR behind him. The Steelers have Smith Shuster who is going to be a top 5 WR this year. The Giants have Shepard, a chain mover, and an aging, ineffective Golden Tate (at least last year). Im hoping between Coleman and Engram, Beckhams production can be covered but the big play ability still isnt there.

Of course Im not saying that Tate is anywhere near as good as Odell, but why do you think he was ineffective? Guy had more yards after the catch then anyone.

Whoa whoa settle down. don't need to break out the B word here lol

I gave you clear examples of players who were on the last year of their contract who were traded and signed an extension with the new team to answer what you said;

"They wouldn't have traded for him if he were not under contract because they surely would not have been able to resign him except on the franchise tag."

Since your saying it would of been more difficult to trade OBJ prior to the contract extension, or any player for that matter if they are on their last year of a contract. The Giants could of easily worked out a trade with another team, the Pats/Packers and even Rams before he signed his contract. Sure OBJ would of had to agree to an extension but even you think he wanted out of NY so why wouldn't of he of agreed to a new team/contract? Why would any player turn down MORE MONEY and a new team if they are getting traded? lol

Heck the Browns traded for Landry who only had a single year left on his contract THEN gave him a huge extension lol

I understand what you're trying to say that it would of been harder to trade him but from everything that's happened in the NFL if a team wants a player bad enough, they will make a trade work.

Which brings me to my whole point about the trade.

It wasn't logical in the slightest. Financially it made no sense since the biggest cap eaters on the team ARE STILL ON THE TEAM, and OBJs contract actually decreases in 2020 when we have a superposed 80+ million in a cap space.

And also we got lesser value for a player of his ability in return.

Which in my mind says that the Giants WANTED to get rid of OBJ for some reason that no one will probably ever know, maybe OBJ said "If we lose another season I'm gonna ask for a trade" in passing to a coach or player and then Mara found out about it. Maybe they just figured he would become a problem in another losing season with more interviews and antics, so they just were desperate (much like the Steelers) to move OBJ.

Because otherwise this trade is just plain stupid lol which was my whole point.

It's not like I called you Dude! --- that would have crossed the line.

I'm not saying I was happy about the trade. I just think this stuff about not getting enough value back is based on an overvaluation of the player. He's oft injured, even when healthy he doesn't take adequate care of his body, he comes off the field and goes to the locker room at his convenience, he saves his worst plays for the biggest moments... Haven't even touched anything off the field or personality based yet and I'm already thinking, we really got a 17th overall+ in return? There are serious red flags there, nobody was going to offer a Herschel Walker type deal.

Ingram is pretty much a WR... and Sheppard is way more than nothing...

At this point last year I was arguably the biggest Beckham supporter on here... but I think I've officially moved into "fuck this guy" territory.

I'm glad we got rid of him BEFORE it became an Antonio Brown situation where we're getting a third to unload a disgruntled headcase. DG might have been right with this one.

At this point last year I was arguably the biggest Beckham supporter on here... but I think I've officially moved into "fuck this guy" territory.

I'm glad we got rid of him BEFORE it became an Antonio Brown situation where we're getting a third to unload a disgruntled headcase. DG might have been right with this one.

The thing that bothers me the most about him is the way he'd take himself into the locker room to get an IV... Rather than drink water or other fluids..... not because he was cramping or some other legit medical reason, but because he doesn't like to drink. WTF dude, it would be a two minute drive, down by a score, and he's walking down the tunnel... and now he's talking about how they didn't win enough? Pphhhhhht.... Fuck him.

The thing that bothers me the most about him is the way he'd take himself into the locker room to get an IV... Rather than drink water or other fluids..... not because he was cramping or some other legit medical reason, but because he doesn't like to drink. WTF dude, it would be a two minute drive, down by a score, and he's walking down the tunnel... and now he's talking about how they didn't win enough? Pphhhhhht.... Fuck him.

As I said earlier, I feel bad for Cleveland. They got a lemon.

As I said earlier, I feel bad for Cleveland. They got a lemon.

They got a guy that will only succeed if he's on a team with enough star power to keep his ego in check to keep him focused and level headed.

Has that team ever existed? I don't think so.

Odell is still bitter for being trading out of a team that has had years of losing records, go figure. Landon is still bitter for signing the most lucrative contract NFL Safety contract in history, go figure.

If either player wanted to stay in NY they'd still be here.

Landon Collins is the only deal that I wish we made because he is a great player, leader and teammate. Odell is volatile yet a great teammate and player. Both players have an amazing skill set and ready to win now while the NY Giants roster is looking more like ready to win five years from now with the future of Eli Manning to be over with the end of the 2019 season and an unheralded first round QB taking over. Everything points to not getting re-signed and traded as being good things for both players and yet there remains some bitterness.

Give thanks to God for being drafted and having everything you have had all these years as a NY Giant.

I don't care about their whining.

Odell is still bitter for being trading out of a team that has had years of losing records, go figure. Landon is still bitter for signing the most lucrative contract NFL Safety contract in history, go figure.

Landon Collins is the only deal that I wish we made because he is a great player, leader and teammate. Odell is volatile yet a great teammate and player. Both players have an amazing skill set and ready to win now while the NY Giants roster is looking more like ready to win five years from now with the future of Eli Manning to be over with the end of the 2019 season and an unheralded first round QB taking over. Everything points to not getting re-signed and traded as being good things for both players and yet there remains some bitterness.

I don't care.

And Landon Collins is also bitching about the Giants and the Giants didnt even trade him. Im not sorry to see him go, either. And I think the secondary is well taken care of in his stead.

Give thanks to God for being drafted and having everything you have had all these years as a NY Giant.

I don't care about their whining.

Landon Collins is a leader, but not a good leader. Which is worse than not being a leader at all.

And Landon Collins is also bitching about the Giants and the Giants didnt even trade him. Im not sorry to see him go, either. And I think the secondary is well taken care of in his stead.

Yeah losing Collins does nothing for the team.

Much like Odell they weren't winning games with either of them on the field consistently and Collins signed a contract way way way above his value.

Peppers isn't even in the same league as Collins but put up numbers similar to him and still on a rookie contract, although Peppers brings versitility in the return game.