SportsWrath

Gibril Wilson Released

Balloonknot

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/19375/gibril-wilson-not-worth-cost-for-dolphins

Two years in a row, safety Gibril Wilson signed a handsome contract only to get by released by the team that thought he was worth the price.

Wilson's agent, Alvin Keels, has tweeted the Miami Dolphins have released Wilson after a disappointing season as their free safety.

The Dolphins made Wilson their major free-agent signing last year, giving him a five-year, $27.5 million contract with $8 million in guarantees.

In 2008, the Oakland Raiders gave Wilson a six-year, $39 million contract with $16 million in guarantees. Then the Raiders cut him after a season.

Wilson became the target of Dolfan scorn for his routinely missed tackles and blown coverages on big plays.

Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, speaking with reporters a week ago at the NFL scouting combine, defended Wilson and seemed to indicate they were happy to have him back.

"I think he took a lot of the rap back there," Ireland said. "He was playing with two young corners [rookies Vontae Davis and Sean Smith]. A lot of things that the fans or the media would try to blame him on weren't always his fault.

"But we have our evaluation of Gibril Wilson. We know what kind of player he's capable of being. I think he's going to be a very good player for the future. He's disappointed in his play last year. He would tell you that. He could play better. I think he will."

Then again, maybe he won't.

I've said it several times...Gibril Wilson is not a Free Safety! He is a pure SS. Which probably make him obsolete in todays NFL... I like him, I really do. But he dowsn't play well in Zone coverage.

I've said it several times...Gibril Wilson is not a Free Safety! He is a pure SS. Which probably make him obsolete in todays NFL... I like him, I really do. But he dowsn't play well in Zone coverage.

I totally agree...

Luckily for Gibril, it seems like he's got $25 million worth of guarantees from these chump teams, so good for him, lol. I just wish someone like Dallas had broke the bank for his subpar services...

I really enjoyed watching him play for us, though...

No shit; he should just retire. $25 million in 2 years work is fucking outstanding.

That's just the guaranteed money he walked away with, he probably made 8-10 mil extra in salaries too.

He should name his child after his agent.

That's just the guaranteed money he walked away with, he probably made 8-10 mil extra in salaries too.

He should name his child after his agent.

Or after David Tyree's Helmet....

Without that 07 team, Wilson would have never made the bank he did....

I'd like to bring Gabril back and ship Coughlin to the Raiders.. I thought

Gabril was the hardest hitting Saftey since Larry Wilson in his rookie year.

Playing poorly for the the Raiders is hard to quantify.....everyone stinks around you its hard to push the sled

I think Tom and Al Davis would form a unique bond.... :rolleyes:

Tom Cable would be a bookend to Rex Ryan

Wilson is real old school....he weighed 165 lbs soaking wet and used to routinely knock guys out

If we could pick him up on the cheap...it'd be a really nice pickup. Maybe he'd get the fire in his belly back if he was coming off the bench on a winning team.

I'd low ball him with an offer filled with incentives.