SportsWrath

10 Years Later, the Patriots Reflect on the Tyree Catch That Cost Them 19-0

fringe

They can picture the scene that would have, that should have, unfolded this Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. And, man, what a scene it is.

Voices slow to a cryptic crawl as minds wander to what would have been. The crowd would have boomed as the players walked through the tunnel and hoisted their Super Bowl rings into the air. These wouldn't have been any old Super Bowl rings, either. No, they'd have been glistening 19-0rings. The '85 Bears would have had no choice but to take a bow. Those '72 Dolphins, too.

There'd be no debate. From Vince Lombardi's Packers to the Steel Curtain to Joe Montana's Niners to the Cowboys of the '90s, everybody would have needed to pay homage to the '07 Patriots. On this night, 10 years later, they would have have been celebrated as the greatest team in NFLhistory.

Of course, there is no such pilgrimage planned to Minneapolis. There will be no Super Bowl party, no reminisces of glory up on the video board, no celebration at all. Rather, these '07 Patriots remain scattered around the country because some guy named David Tyree pinned a football against his head and ruined everything.

On 3rd-and-5 from his own 44, Eli Manning escaped a swarm of Patriots to heave a 32-yard prayer downfield to Tyree. The Giants scored a touchdown a few plays later, won 17-14, and the resulting trauma never completely subsided. These Patriots are forced to instead look back at that team, game and play with a bizarre mix of pride and regret. They're filled with a dash of joy and anger and enough exasperation to last a lifetime.

You can hear the lasting pain in their voices. Or in the refusal to relive the events of Feb. 3, 2008. Many of the players Bleacher Report contacted for this story turned down interviews. Many others ignored calls and texts. Seven players, however, were willing to look themselves in the mirror and dissect everything all over again…as painful as that may be.... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2756553-10-years-later-the-patriots-reflect-on-the-tyree-catch-that-cost-them-19-0

You know as much as I want to think it hurts them, in the slightest, I think the two SBs they have won since then have probably made up for it.

I mean fuck they are playing for their sixth SB championship.

Giants get to play Madden I guess.

For the fans, yeah. This is more about the players who didnt get another chance.

When Im playing cards at Mohegan tomorrow in giants gear I will hear tons of salty comments like I always do. Those losers havent gotten over it at all. Just listen to a bill Simmons podcast and youll see how bitter he still is

Shit, had the roles been reversed, we'd still be butthurt over going 18-1. Any Giants fan who says otherwise is likely fooling themselves. I mean, we still talk about certain painful games...Matt Dodge to Desean Jackson for the win, 49ers playoff game, etc...but that SB loss for the Patriots outranks them one, because it's the superbowl, and two, the Patriots were undefeated going into it.

Shit, had the roles been reversed, we'd still be butthurt over going 18-1. Any Giants fan who says otherwise is likely fooling themselves. I mean, we still talk about certain painful games...Matt Dodge to Desean Jackson for the win, 49ers playoff game, etc...but that SB loss for the Patriots outranks them one, because it's the superbowl, and two, the Patriots were undefeated going into it.

Yeah, sometimes you still see someone say, if only for that BS holding call on Hamilton, we would have beaten the Ravens. Riiiight, lol.

Talk to any Patriots fan up here and they'll still get red in the face and insist "if you watch that play in slow motion you see the ball hits the ground."

5 Super Bowls isn't enough for those fucking crybabies.

If the Giants were in the same situation, we would all be saying the same thing.

But they arent cause you know, JR.

But were not and We didnt videogate and deflate gate and all of the other gates yet to be uncoded.

I'm pretty sure every single team does the same thing, the Pats are just the ones who got caught.

When a single win or loss can determine millions in revenue with ticket sales, etc, you cant honestly tell me these billionaires arnt doing shit like this every day to give their team an edge.

I'm pretty sure every single team does the same thing, the Pats are just the ones who got caught.

I hear this argument 10x a day up here and it's a total bullshit argument. If "every team" did this, why doesn't every team get punished? It's like saying, "well, my neighbor got caught shoplifting, but everyone else in the neighborhood probably does it too, so we shouldn't hold it against him."

There is ZERO evidence that other teams broke the rules in the ways the Patriots did. To assume otherwise is asanine.

I'll never forget when Photobucket started making me pay for third party hosting either, UK. The end Photobucket as we knew it... but the birth of Instagram.

Does Instagram support 3rd party hosting? I'm using Imgur and I really don't like it. Photobucket was just easier to use.