SportsWrath

Shurmur Press conference

Tempest

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Coach-Pat-Shurmur-introductory-press-conference/7f83af79-afc3-404a-852e-3301befdc74c

First off I have to say the guy strikes me as goofy. Eli Manning does to and that worked out well for us too so I'm not going to hold that against Shurmur either. I think Shurmur did a very good job with this introductory press conference.

Now as far facts and information to be gleaned from it: Have no idea what he going to do on offense aside from calling plays that highlights a player's strength. I really hope that translates into a downfield passing game. Offense will most likely continue to play at a fast pace but do so strategically instead of every down. He understands the importance of the running game. Play action pass is returning to NY Giants football. He is going to run an offense that works over running the offense until it works. We are going to see a different offensive line in September, I see the Giants being aggressive in rebuilding the offensive line this offseason.

In regards to the defense: He talked about Bettcher calling a mulitples defense. Now this sounds to me as we are going to stay 4-3 defense but develop the flexibility to put an effective 3-4 formation on the field. I believe we can all agree the we currently do not have that ability.

Didn't watch the entire interview yet but yeah, those videos I posted the other day weren't very inspiring. Maybe Gettleman plans on being the alpha and maybe the plan is to also draft a few fiery types on offense and defense. Could still be possible to win but Shurmur doesn't strike me as the type of guy to motivate all by himself.

In regards to defense I heard this guy ran a 3-4 but with a stand-up defensive end, so it's really similar to what we were already running.

I listened on the radio and I felt better about the hire. Hes not oozing charisma but it seems like theres substance to what hes saying and I love that he reiterated that he and gettleman prioritize the offensive line. He even went into detail about how they fixed it in one year in Minnesota. Between that and his comments on Eli having years left in him I think we are trading down

I like the hire... goofy usually means down to earth... a far cry from the guy who threw everyone including the franchise QB under the bus... I'm ecstatic about the DC more than anything... I posted earlier in a different thread that he ran 48% in nickel D which from what I gathered the Giants have the personnel... I think it's a couple of pieces missing but I can't wait to see a swarming D... there was a time when our O would go three and out and it never bothered me because I knew the D would force a 3 and out... no question.

I listened on the radio and I felt better about the hire. Hes not oozing charisma but it seems like theres substance to what hes saying and I love that he reiterated that he and gettleman prioritize the offensive line. He even went into detail about how they fixed it in one year in Minnesota. Between that and his comments on Eli having years left in him I think we are trading down

I would agree but both Gettleman and Shurmur know what it's like to have a running game in the NFL, and when a guy like Barkley is sitting there, I think they are licking their chops.

I mean Gettleman built that run game in Carolina who, which bailed Cam out many of times, and with an aging vet like Eli? I think it's a no brainier for them.

Didn't watch the entire interview yet but yeah, those videos I posted the other day weren't very inspiring. Maybe Gettleman plans on being the alpha and maybe the plan is to also draft a few fiery types on offense and defense. Could still be possible to win but Shurmur doesn't strike me as the type of guy to motivate all by himself.

In regards to defense I heard this guy ran a 3-4 but with a stand-up defensive end, so it's really similar to what we were already running.

Its more a 2-4-5 like you said its just ends standing up

I think teams would be more likely to trade up for Barkley than they would any of the QBs. I've said it before, there is a bigger dropoff from RB1 (Barkley) to RB2 than there is from QB1 to QB2 or QB2 to QB 3 (depending on what Cleveland does at 1).

The wrench will be thrown if/when Cleveland takes Barkley. On one hand, we have our choice of QBs...on the other, the trade value of our pick plummets given the multiple QBs. It's almost as if the 4th or 5th pick this year is as valuable as the 2nd. I know it's not, but it almost feels that way.

Four top ten qbs in this draft, not sure we're going to get a good return trading down.

It's really hard to say.

There's four QBs that might be graded as top-10 picks, but there's five teams in the top ten (Colts, Bears, Niners, Raiders, Bucs) that are highly unlikely to take a QB. If you can trade down with the Jets lets say, and pick up a second and next year's first, and still get the 3rd best QB to learn for two years under Eli, that might be palatable. Trade down again with the Niners and even though you're now picking 9th, there's still probably the #3 or #4 rated QB still there, and you have two extra 2's, an extra 3, and two more #1's next year.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, and you have to figure out how the Giants grade the players and what value they put on it. For instance, if they think the second best QB has a 75% shot of being a franchise QB, but the third best QB has only a 45% shot, do you trade down and take that risk selecting the next best guy? Also, what happens if the Browns select the QB you have rated as 4th best with the first pick (always a Browns possibility)? I'm not sure anyone has the answer to any of that... it's all still a crap shoot.

One thing's for certain though, it'll be one of the more interesting drafts for Giants fans in a long time.

I think teams would be more likely to trade up for Barkley than they would any of the QBs. I've said it before, there is a bigger dropoff from RB1 (Barkley) to RB2 than there is from QB1 to QB2 or QB2 to QB 3 (depending on what Cleveland does at 1).

The wrench will be thrown if/when Cleveland takes Barkley. On one hand, we have our choice of QBs...on the other, the trade value of our pick plummets given the multiple QBs. It's almost as if the 4th or 5th pick this year is as valuable as the 2nd. I know it's not, but it almost feels that way.

And this likely will happen given Cleveland has the 4th pick too...

Never know...Cleveland may fall in love with their QB and take him at 1 to avoid losing out. Giants could theoretically trade down to 4 so Cleveland has #1 and #2 overall.

I don't think anyone in Cleveland is going to make that trade. If there is going to be a trade made, it will be with the Jets.

Never know...Cleveland may fall in love with their QB and take him at 1 to avoid losing out. Giants could theoretically trade down to 4 so Cleveland has #1 and #2 overall.

But then, wouldn't they take their QB at #1 and Barkley at #2? Giants would be idiots to trade for #4.

Yeah, and we'd get a shit ton of extra picks and still likely get the QB we want.

Actually for the Browns to trade up from four to two I think i read at most all they wild have to give up is a second and like a fourth.

Keep in mind trading to second isn't for a QB it's for a RB who typically don't carry the same trade value.

I mean the Browns keep their horde of picks and get the best QB and probably the best CB seen in years in the Draft, or they trade and get the beat QB and RB whole the Giants hope no teams trade to number three to take the next best QB leaving the Giants with the third best QB and maybe an extra second round pick.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think the Giants should pass on the opportunity to draft Barkley - he is a once in a decade talent. Barkley could solve a lot of issues for us. Assuming Browns dont fuck it up by picking Barkey No.1 - then it becomes a shitstorm.

I've been thinking the Browns could very well just take Barkley with that first pick and it makes perfect sense. They do need a RB.