SportsWrath

Beckham wasn't ever 100% healthy

Treehugger

Odell Beckham: I played with muscle tears in leg

• By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 26, 2015 at 12:32 a.m.

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- If we needed another reason to marvel at Odell Beckham's rookie season in 2014, consider the news he dropped on Sunday night after a five-catch performance in the Pro Bowl: He played the whole year with a pair of muscle tears in his leg.

"I was never really fully healthy for the season anyways," Beckham said. "So, I was just trying to manage and maintain it the best I could all year."

Beckham said the tears were sustained to his semitendinosus and bicep belly. The initial tear was suffered early in camp and the second happened a few weeks later when he tried to come back, the latter of which prolonged his comeback.

He said he'll need to shut himself down this offseason in order to enter next season in good shape, a process which begins immediately. He'll remain in Arizona to work on his recovery.

"It's still not right, I'm still working on it," Beckham said. "I'm trying to get it 100 percent for next year."

This would explain the wideout's initial reticence in speaking about the issue, compounded by the fact that he was a rookie shouldered with plenty of expectation.

But it also puts his first year into a different context. Though all NFL players come out of a season with some degree of injury, Beckham is preparing to high-step away with the Offensive Rookie of the Year award, which will be unveiled Saturday night at 9 p.m. ET on NBC, despite missing four games.

I

magine an adjusted 16-game total for a healthy player who already caught 91 balls for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Why play in the Pro Bowl then?

Exactly my thoughts. If he wanted to get "100% by next season" and "shut himself down for the offseason" wouldn't he do it asap. Also, wouldn't the Giants team doctors/trainers known of this and prevented him from playing

Exactly my thoughts. If he wanted to get "100% by next season" and "shut himself down for the offseason" wouldn't he do it asap. Also, wouldn't the Giants team doctors/trainers known of this and prevented him from playing

Yeah I don't know the motives behind releasing this info but I highly, highly doubt Beckham had freaking muscle TEARS and he had them all season.

Okay, maybe your second post made sense...but this one? You can play 20% healthy and still get like 4 TDs in the pro bowl

Shaq threw out his back sneezing, beckham could break a leg stepping off a plane...

What's up with our strength program?.....how many muscle and tendons tears did this team go through in 2014?

They need to shake it up.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA... Jerry Palmieri has sucked for Coughlin for nearly twenty years! Twenty years of leading the league in injuries!

You don't just throw someone out on the street that shows that kind of loyalty.

Why play at all after we were mathematically out of it?. We shut down like 10 guys one weekend for toothaches.

I think if he wasn't our only source of offense, that probably would have happened, hehe

Why play in the Pro Bowl then?

I don't blame him... I'm also in the school of thought that we as humans tend to "play" (in our case: work) hurt.... him playing with a tweaked not fully healed quad is like you and I dosing on dayquil and heading to work because we've already taken that one sick day...

I don't blame him... I'm also in the school of thought that we as humans tend to "play" (in our case: work) hurt.... him playing with a tweaked not fully healed quad is like you and I dosing on dayquil and heading to work because we've already taken that one sick day...

It makes me wonder how much pressure was put on him by the NFL...being a young star and obvious draw.

I'd expect the money he's making and the contract he'll be getting in the next couple of years if he keeps up this type of play, is draw enough.

I mean draw for an otherwise craptastic "all-star" game.

I mean draw for an otherwise craptastic "all-star" game.

Money.

He lights up the pro-bowl (which he did from what I seen) and he gets more of the Cruz treatment.

He's probably the best WR the NY market has ever seen, he aint dumb and neither is his agent.

Money.

He lights up the pro-bowl (which he did from what I seen) and he gets more of the Cruz treatment.

He's probably the best WR the NY market has ever seen, he aint dumb and neither is his agent.

Bingo- as Marcee Tidwell said in Jerry Maguire "shoe, car, clothing line, soft drink, the 4 jewels of celebrity endorsements"

He said he's not 100%, not that he's gimpy. Most players are on the field at less than 100% by the end of the season. No reason to get so hyperbolic about it.

Most people have aches and pains of course. He claims to have torn muscles. It's not me that's hyperbolic lol.

What, and be accused of sucking for a higher draft pick?

People say Coughlin is an asshole for trying to win games, if they didn't play Beckham those same people would say Coughlin's an asshole for not playing rookies.