SportsWrath

Larry Donnell regrets benching Larry Donnell in fantasy

Treehugger

Larry Donnell regrets benching Larry Donnell in fantasy
  • By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Oct. 1, 2014 at 04:57 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 1, 2014 at 05:12 p.m.

Nobody cares about your fantasy team. You should know this by now. But there's something interesting -- fascinating even -- about an NFL player wrestling with a gameday roster decision that involves himself.

That's what happened on Thursday to New York Giants tight end Larry Donnell, who was forced to choose between Larry Donnell or Vernon Davis at tight end in his Week 4 matchup.

Donnell -- either out of respect for an All-Pro contemporary or offering up a glimpse of the type of self-doubt that can infect us all -- started Davis, who had two catches for eight yards against the Eagles before exiting with a back injury.

Donnell, meanwhile, had the night of his young NFL life, finishing with seven catches for 54 yards and three touchdowns in a blowout win over the Redskins. Donnell ended up losing his fantasy matchup by 15 points, a total Fantasy Larry Donnell easily surpassed, PPR league or no.

"Would've won if I played me," Donnell told The Record after practice Wednesday. "During the game, I'm like, 'Really?' That's the honest truth."

Donnell said he won't make the same mistake again this weekend.

"Oh yeah," he said. "I'm in there."

A wise choice by Donnell, one of the NFL's biggest surprises of the young season.