SportsWrath

Will Beatty

JMFP

Yeah he is playing better, there has been a few articles about it which have gone so far as to quote Pro football Focus in saying he is at the moment, the best left tackle in football.

I don't put much stock in any of that and just go by what I've seen on the field. Its good to see that the faith the coaches and management has put into Will Beatty was not misplaced when they gave him a contract extension and didn't draft another offensive tackle in the first round. Credit Beatty for playing better, Reese for rebuilding the offensive line and management for getting it right.

So where do you place the credit...McAdoo or Beatty?

A little of both.

To Beatty's credit, it seems like his attitude is square....mentally, it appears he's playing smart and confidently.

But McAdoo deserves a shitload of credit.......the quicker tempo, routes, and throws ALL benefit an offensive line.

Also, we finally have a legitimate "every down" back.....Jennings has a great combination of speed and power, and is a weapon, not a liability, in the passing game.

Throw in a tight end who isn't useless, and I think Beatty is also being helped out by the guys around him.

This helps....

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/09/eli_manning_just_how_quickly_is_the_ball_coming_out_of_the_giants_qbs_hand.html

EAST RUTHERFORD -- You can't sack what you can't hit. It's a rather elementary football concept that, on the surface, seems to apply to running quarterbacks.

In most instances, a quarterback's athleticism and elusiveness comes into play. These skills help them avoid pass rushers, but there are other even simpler ways for the plodding pocket-passers to sidestep the rush. In the case of Giants quarterback Eli Manning this season, it's because the ball is coming out before the defenders have a chance to get there.

In Thursday night's 45-14 demolition of the Washington Redskins, Manning averaged 2.07 seconds from snap to release. He averaged 1.7 seconds from snap to release on his four touchdown passes and had just four plays (all on the final drive of the first half) where he held the ball for over 3.0 seconds. San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick, Seattle's Russell Wilson and the Jets' Geno Smith average over 3.0 seconds from snap to throw this season.

Manning isn't just working fast, he's functioning lightning fast, and seemingly getting quicker each week.

This was always the intended result when the Giants and new coordinator Ben McAdoo installed the West Coast offense this offseason. The scheme is based on short, quick passes that give the receivers an opportunity to run after the catch.

But it took some time. The Giants and their quarterback weren't moving at warp speed from the start. They were slow, late and a discombobulated mess during training camp, the preseason and into the first two games. Manning was at 2.3 and 2.6 seconds from snap to throw against the Lions and Cardinals, respectively, according to Pro Football Focus. He's hovered around 2.0 seconds the past two weeks when they scored 75 points.

"I thought we did a good job of getting the ball out fast [against Washington]," Manning said. "I thought we had a plan, I thought I had a good plan for most of the plays and where I wanted to go with the ball, getting through my progressions.

"There's still some improvement, still some things to get better on, some things with footwork and whatnot but definitely made strides and have to keep trying to get better each and every week. You can't get satisfied, you can't think we've got this thing figured out because we still have ... there is definitely still room for improvement."

That doesn't necessarily mean the time it takes Manning to throw will dip even lower. It's possible that as he becomes more comfortable, he attempts to throw a few more passes deep downfield, and subsequently holds the ball a little bit longer on average.

No quarterback in the three seasons that PFF has charted average time to throw has done better than 2.36 seconds. Manning is currently at 2.27 seconds. Only his brother Peyton is lower. He's at 2.12 seconds so far this season. Peyton finished at 2.36 seconds last year.

Eli was in the middle of the pack last season at 2.73 seconds. In the new offense, he's shaved almost half a second from his snap to throw. That's often the difference between taking a big hit or being sacked and firing a completion.

"Really since camp started, [Eli] has been progressing," McAdoo said last week.

Given that the ball is in Eli's hands for a shorter period of time, the number of sacks he's taken has also drastically decreased. He was sacked a career-high 39 times last season, but is on pace to be taken down just 24 times this year.

Getting the ball out quicker clearly has its benefits, especially if the results look like the past two weeks.

This helps....

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/09/eli_manning_just_how_quickly_is_the_ball_coming_out_of_the_giants_qbs_hand.html

EAST RUTHERFORD -- You can't sack what you can't hit. It's a rather elementary football concept that, on the surface, seems to apply to running quarterbacks.

In most instances, a quarterback's athleticism and elusiveness comes into play. These skills help them avoid pass rushers, but there are other even simpler ways for the plodding pocket-passers to sidestep the rush. In the case of Giants quarterback Eli Manning this season, it's because the ball is coming out before the defenders have a chance to get there.

In Thursday night's 45-14 demolition of the Washington Redskins, Manning averaged 2.07 seconds from snap to release. He averaged 1.7 seconds from snap to release on his four touchdown passes and had just four plays (all on the final drive of the first half) where he held the ball for over 3.0 seconds. San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick, Seattle's Russell Wilson and the Jets' Geno Smith average over 3.0 seconds from snap to throw this season.

Manning isn't just working fast, he's functioning lightning fast, and seemingly getting quicker each week.

This was always the intended result when the Giants and new coordinator Ben McAdoo installed the West Coast offense this offseason. The scheme is based on short, quick passes that give the receivers an opportunity to run after the catch.

But it took some time. The Giants and their quarterback weren't moving at warp speed from the start. They were slow, late and a discombobulated mess during training camp, the preseason and into the first two games. Manning was at 2.3 and 2.6 seconds from snap to throw against the Lions and Cardinals, respectively, according to Pro Football Focus. He's hovered around 2.0 seconds the past two weeks when they scored 75 points.

"I thought we did a good job of getting the ball out fast [against Washington]," Manning said. "I thought we had a plan, I thought I had a good plan for most of the plays and where I wanted to go with the ball, getting through my progressions.

"There's still some improvement, still some things to get better on, some things with footwork and whatnot but definitely made strides and have to keep trying to get better each and every week. You can't get satisfied, you can't think we've got this thing figured out because we still have ... there is definitely still room for improvement."

That doesn't necessarily mean the time it takes Manning to throw will dip even lower. It's possible that as he becomes more comfortable, he attempts to throw a few more passes deep downfield, and subsequently holds the ball a little bit longer on average.

No quarterback in the three seasons that PFF has charted average time to throw has done better than 2.36 seconds. Manning is currently at 2.27 seconds. Only his brother Peyton is lower. He's at 2.12 seconds so far this season. Peyton finished at 2.36 seconds last year.

Eli was in the middle of the pack last season at 2.73 seconds. In the new offense, he's shaved almost half a second from his snap to throw. That's often the difference between taking a big hit or being sacked and firing a completion.

"Really since camp started, [Eli] has been progressing," McAdoo said last week.

Given that the ball is in Eli's hands for a shorter period of time, the number of sacks he's taken has also drastically decreased. He was sacked a career-high 39 times last season, but is on pace to be taken down just 24 times this year.

Getting the ball out quicker clearly has its benefits, especially if the results look like the past two weeks.

So wait... when your offensive line isn't playing well, you should go to a quick-passing offense?

Somebody get Kevin Gilbride on the phone. This can't be right.

So wait... when your offensive line isn't playing well, you should go to a quick-passing offense?

Somebody get Kevin Gilbride on the phone. This can't be right.

Yea I think that huddleless or whatever they call it :D

Btw I'm not bashing Gilbride... His demise is he stopped being creative and didn't know how to change course once teams figured him out.

I don't think he even knew teams had figured him out.

I am convinced that defenses were baiting the receivers last season; it looked to me like they knew what the options were and lined up to force the route that they wanted the receiver to run.

Is this really a Will Beatty is awesome thread? Cool. Now I've seen everything.

Btw I'm not bashing Gilbride... His demise is he stopped being creative and didn't know how to change course once teams figured him out.

Take a look at this highlight film. Yeah, they're all Eli's big plays from two years ago... but watch how uncreative Gilly's offense is. 80% of the pass plays involve 3 receivers running fly patterns (and usually either the upback or the outside guy running a square-in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LKyQI8lFug

• 2 weeks later...

Profootball Focus O line ranks after week 5

3. New York Giants (28th)
PB: 2nd, RB: 4th, PEN: 3rd

Stud: There was a feeling that Will Beatty may have phoned it in after getting his big pay deal. Yeah well that feeling has been vanquished with him our top-ranked left tackle this year. A combination of efficiency in pass protection and ultra activity in the run game.

Dud: There isn’t one. The only person you look at feeling sorry for is Geoff Schwartz who may struggle to get into the team given how it’s performed.

Summary: They looked something of a mess in preseason, but was this just the Giants rope-a-doping us? They’ve been superb and are getting better week on week. The tackles are the strength, but the team must be extremely pleased with the development of Weston Richburg these past three games.

I'm not going to pretend that it changed the game, but Peters was getting away with murder while JPP was on his side of the field, but then they call that on Beatty?!? And to add injury to insult, Cruz is probably healthy today if the ref doesn't blow that call on the play before. Whoever threw that flag, I hope that fucker loses his job and his wife cheats on him with a farm animal.

I just can't get over how bad Pugh was last night, he made Barwin look like a hall of famer.

To get rid of the ball quickly, there has to be somebody open on the other end to catch it. Every time they showed the receiver/DB isolated replays, our guys were blanketed. I'm sure they've drilled into Eli this year, better a sack than an INT. Meanwhile, our OL was getting manhandled. When the five guys up front and the receivers are all losing their one on one battles, the guy holding the ball - the QB - is in trouble.....and gameplans become meaningless.

I'm not going to pretend that it changed the game, but Peters was getting away with murder while JPP was on his side of the field, but then they call that on Beatty?!? And to add injury to insult, Cruz is probably healthy today if the ref doesn't blow that call on the play before. Whoever threw that flag, I hope that fucker loses his job and his wife cheats on him with a farm animal.

I just can't get over how bad Pugh was last night, he made Barwin look like a hall of famer.

Yes. I saw the same jersey grabbing move both sides. But the refs were out there calling it only on the Giants.

As a poor ass gamblers. Knowing this was a prime time last game of the night the kind of game wasn't a shock to me. Giants on a roll, so people would put action on them regardless of heavy juice.