SportsWrath

Another Jerry Reese stinks article.

JMFP

I'd love to hear who that great replacement for Beatty was in 2013, either in FA or the draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/25/4146792/nfl-free-agent-tracker-2013-sebastian-vollmer-elvis-dumervil

Note which OTs were signed at that point, and how much--Beatty's contract was not out of line, especially for a starting OT, who at that point, wasn't playing nearly as poorly as he has since.

Here's what was left in Sept. that year:

Jared Gaither

Barry Richardson

Wayne Hunter

Jammal Brown

Sean Locklear

Demetress Bell

D’Anthony Batiste

Jason Smith

Jordan Black

Pat McQuistan

Frank Omiyale

Jeff Otah

Tony Hills

Brandon Keith

Brandyn Dombrowski

Yum. Quite the selection.

There wasn't that much available at LT that year--and the ones that were didn't get signed significantly lower than Beatty, who was right in there with the typical signing.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. We don't spend a fortune on Baas if Seubert AND Koets don't suffer career-ending knee injuries the same season. We're not scrambling for linemen if any one of Brewer, Petrus, Mosely, McCants show something or (in the case of McCants) develop quicker. Baas had us bent over, and his agent knew it.

And before crucifying Reese about the current state of the WRs, you guys might want to take a walk down memory lane and check out some of the WR groups we had before Reese got the job--it wasn't all that long ago we were pinning our hopes on Tim Carter or Sinorice Moss...I'd take Manningham NOW over those two at their "peak", and he didn't even make the team this year.

If you want to fault Reese for anything, it would have to be for managing to find players with long development times and short careers. Maybe he should switch from Tarot cards to runes, or something.

This fanbase has the patience of a mayfly.

Should have signed Dombrowski.

I'd love to hear who that great replacement for Beatty was in 2013, either in FA or the draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/25/4146792/nfl-free-agent-tracker-2013-sebastian-vollmer-elvis-dumervil

Note which OTs were signed at that point, and how much--Beatty's contract was not out of line, especially for a starting OT, who at that point, wasn't playing nearly as poorly as he has since.

Here's what was left in Sept. that year:

Jared Gaither

Barry Richardson

Wayne Hunter

Jammal Brown

Sean Locklear

Demetress Bell

D’Anthony Batiste

Jason Smith

Jordan Black

Pat McQuistan

Frank Omiyale

Jeff Otah

Tony Hills

Brandon Keith

Brandyn Dombrowski

Yum. Quite the selection.

There wasn't that much available at LT that year--and the ones that were didn't get signed significantly lower than Beatty, who was right in there with the typical signing.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. We don't spend a fortune on Baas if Seubert AND Koets don't suffer career-ending knee injuries the same season. We're not scrambling for linemen if any one of Brewer, Petrus, Mosely, McCants show something or (in the case of McCants) develop quicker. Baas had us bent over, and his agent knew it.

And before crucifying Reese about the current state of the WRs, you guys might want to take a walk down memory lane and check out some of the WR groups we had before Reese got the job--it wasn't all that long ago we were pinning our hopes on Tim Carter or Sinorice Moss...I'd take Manningham NOW over those two at their "peak", and he didn't even make the team this year.

If you want to fault Reese for anything, it would have to be for managing to find players with long development times and short careers. Maybe he should switch from Tarot cards to runes, or something.

This fanbase has the patience of a mayfly.

This... and we have switched from Saint Gilbride...to the 13th Apostle ...Ernie Arcorsi... all because he bet the bank on Eli... :P

Chad Jones 76, 2010 Never saw the field

Kenny Phillips 31, 2008 Couple good years, out of league

Terrell Thomas 63, 2008 Up-and-down career

Mario Manningham 95, 2008 Somewhat of a disappointment

This is just bullshit to make a flawed point.

It's the same one that's been used dozens of times already. It's stupid, and has no relevance to Reese's drafting ability (or lack of it). No matter what you think of his other picks, it's ridiculous to fault the guy for picking a player who subsequently has a career-ending car crash, or players who look good right up until knee injuries cripple them. It just taints the whole argument.

Manningham "Somewhat of disappointment"? In what world is a 3rd rounder who produced for us a disappointment? He wasn't an X WR, but he did make plays for us; even if he was frustrating at times.

"Fucking Amateurs." --Walter Solbchak

Hell half the people on this board have said that already and been saying it for years. They even say it when we win the fucking super bowl. There is a damn good reason for Mara and Tisch running this organization the way they do, because it works better than what everyone else is doing. Goal is to win games to win super bowls and who has done better than the Giants in the last 10 years? Nobody in our division thats for sure. If people want to cry about the draft, injuries, and linebackers then go watch another team with a better draft this year, with less injuries and better linebackers. Lets see them put together a better 10 year record.

We go through bad seasons without a doubt but some teams are in the middle of a bad decade, a bad generation, still haven't played in a super bowl, etc.

Thing is, the teams that won the SBs were largely put together by Ernie Accorsi, as much as I hate to admit it. Reese did add a couple key pieces but the guts of those teams were Uncle Ernie.

Thing is, the teams that won the SBs were largely put together by Ernie Accorsi, as much as I hate to admit it. Reese did add a couple key pieces but the guts of those teams were Uncle Ernie.

All happens under the watchful gaze of Mara & Tisch families. Ernie Accorsi took over in 1998 and served for nine years followed by Jerry Reese in 2007 and has been in charge for eight. The thing to understand is that there is a continuity of management. There wasn't a change in direction by the team, Jerry drafts and goes free agent hunting just like Ernie did. There is only one reason why Accorsi had no super bowls wins during his tenure and Reese has two: Tom Coughlin.

These articles discredit Jerry Reese for drafting players who get hurt and retired early. There is still no magic ball to determine injuries. Another consideration is with super bowl victories there is the financial burden of keeping those players.

To a degree I think its true you can't predict injuries, like with Wilson... but when you're drafting Terrell Thomas in round 2 and he's had an ACL and shoulder injury, what do you expect? Sometimes it works out (Tuck, Armstead) but oftentimes it backfires.

In the other hand, you can't excuse Reese for 2009-2012. Aside from Mook and JPP I'd argue we didn't get a single NFL caliber starter from those FOUR drafts who's still on the team. No matter how you slice it that's just not acceptable.

To a degree I think its true you can't predict injuries, like with Wilson... but when you're drafting Terrell Thomas in round 2 and he's had an ACL and shoulder injury, what do you expect? Sometimes it works out (Tuck, Armstead) but oftentimes it backfires.

In the other hand, you can't excuse Reese for 2009-2012. Aside from Mook and JPP I'd argue we didn't get a single NFL caliber starter from those FOUR drafts who's still on the team. No matter how you slice it that's just not acceptable.

Except we did get starters from those draft years and players that are still here and in fact starting. If you have a different opinion of them...well thats irrelevant.

In order of quality: Jason Pierre-Paul, Prince Amukamara, Will Beatty, Rueben Randle.

Notable mentions still on the roster: Jayron Hosley in his rookie season started 6 games for the Giants. I'm as happy as you are he is buried in the depth chart for the moment.

Then there are the undrafted free agents that were signed from 2009-2012. How does Jerry Reese not get credit for signing players that went undrafted?

Victor Cruz, Henry Hynoski, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich. Jake Ballard was undrafted and no longer in the NFL due to injury.

Those other guys: Andre Brown comes into the league with the Giants and comes back to the team 2 years later and 10 starts. Glad he isn't here anymore.

I do not think that every single one of them is great. I think most of them were good enough to start and some are no longer starting because we found someone better to replace them. Then there are those who are starting simply because we haven't replaced them yet or because they were asked to step up for an injured starter. There are guys that were drafted, undrafted free agents, free agent signings that were here that contributed to the 2011 super bowl run. Even if they are no longer here, I'm glad we had them then or we might not have won.

In order of quality: Jason Pierre-Paul, Prince Amukamara, Will Beatty, Rueben Randle.

Notable mentions still on the roster: Jayron Hosley in his rookie season started 6 games for the Giants. I'm as happy as you are he is buried in the depth chart for the moment.

Then there are the undrafted free agents that were signed from 2009-2012. How does Jerry Reese not get credit for signing players that went undrafted?

Victor Cruz, Henry Hynoski, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich. Jake Ballard was undrafted and no longer in the NFL due to injury.

Those other guys: Andre Brown comes into the league with the Giants and comes back to the team 2 years later and 10 starts. Glad he isn't here anymore.

I do not think that every single one of them is great. I think most of them were good enough to start and some are no longer starting because we found someone better to replace them. Then there are those who are starting simply because we haven't replaced them yet or because they were asked to step up for an injured starter. There are guys that were drafted, undrafted free agents, free agent signings that were here that contributed to the 2011 super bowl run. Even if they are no longer here, I'm glad we had them then or we might not have won.

I'll give you Cruz and Hynoski, who are both good-to-great players but but honestly Temp, the rest of those guys are schlubs. Mark Herzlich? Spencer Paysinger? We're really having this conversation?

In the meantime, Rueben Randle is currently better known for fucking up routes than making plays, and Will Beatty graded out as the third worst tackle in football last year. You don't make the playoffs with those guys as starters on your team.

So yeah, I'll stick by "two NFL caliber starters drafted from those four years that stayed on the team." That's not acceptable.

I'll give you Cruz and Hynoski, who are both good-to-great players but but honestly Temp, the rest of those guys are schlubs. Mark Herzlich? Spencer Paysinger? We're really having this conversation?

In the meantime, Rueben Randle is currently better known for fucking up routes than making plays, and Will Beatty graded out as the third worst tackle in football last year. You don't make the playoffs with those guys as starters on your team.

So yeah, I'll stick by "two NFL caliber starters drafted from those four years that stayed on the team." That's not acceptable.

Paysinger started when he had to and you know every time I think about how bad Giants linebackers are there are two names that come into my head: Brandon Short and Dhani Jones. Is Paysinger as good or better than those two? Certainly not worse. Will Beatty had a bad year and every player in football has a bad year.

Paysinger started when he had to and you know every time I think about how bad Giants linebackers are there are two names that come into my head: Brandon Short and Dhani Jones. Is Paysinger as good or better than those two? Certainly not worse. Will Beatty had a bad year and every player in football has a bad year.

man, Dhani Jones had like a ten year career... I'd be shocked if Paysinger comes anywhere close to that.