SportsWrath

Referees

gmenroc

Let me start by saying they were NOT the reason we lost. But they had a much larger influence than they should have.

They were pretty terrible this week. The illegal contact, pass interference shit has got to be reined in. I can't believe some of the calls in this game were actually calls. WRs initiated damn near every call, yet the defender was the one flagged. For the first time, I can't help but wonder how the hell the defense can play defense anymore given the rules.

that 8:30 game last night was insane. totally unwatchable

Missed the majority of the night game, but did catch a piece of the comment from the announcers about the ref being on the TV more than ???

I used to be able to watch football all day. Now, I'll watch the Giants if they're on and maybe some pieces of another game here or there. But the game is a watered-down version of its former self and it's pretty bad.

i turned the niner/bears game off before halftime last night and i never do that. in the past i'd watch any game no matter how bad it was. if i don't have strong fantasy or gambling investments in a non-giant game i'm not going to have the patience for all these flags

The lame fucking call where Jay Cutler got speared and it was roughing the passer because his helmet hit his ribs personifies what is wrong with the NFL rules these days. In the 90s, that was a fucking love-tap.

I can understand the need to enforce player safety in light of all the concussion research...but the PI stuff is just making the game unwatchable. Like gmenroc said the WR is initiating most of the contact and the DB is getting the flag.

I have to say though, most of the calls on our defensive backs for illegal contact were pretty blatant.

Let me start by saying they were NOT the reason we lost. But they had a much larger influence than they should have.

They were pretty terrible this week. The illegal contact, pass interference shit has got to be reined in. I can't believe some of the calls in this game were actually calls. WRs initiated damn near every call, yet the defender was the one flagged. For the first time, I can't help but wonder how the hell the defense can play defense anymore given the rules.

They called the game the way the NFL wants the game called.

Give credit to the receivers....they waited for 5+ yards to cut right into a defensive back who maintained proper positioning, and drew the flag.

I honestly don't know how a cornerback can play their position anymore. I'd jump off a fucking bridge if that was my job.

Don't hate on the refs....hate on the league for destroying what used to be an awesome game to watch.

They called the game the way the NFL wants the game called.

Give credit to the receivers....they waited for 5+ yards to cut right into a defensive back who maintained proper positioning, and drew the flag.

I honestly don't know how a cornerback can play their position anymore. I'd jump off a fucking bridge if that was my job.

Don't hate on the refs....hate on the league for destroying what used to be an awesome game to watch.

I think its even worse for safeties. You're supposed to hit the guy... but if he's looking for the ball he's a "defenseless receiver" and you get slapped with a fifteen yard penalty.

I think its even worse for safeties. You're supposed to hit the guy... but if he's looking for the ball he's a "defenseless receiver" and you get slapped with a fifteen yard penalty.

The game has been ruined.....it sucks now.

Personally, I think they need to change the game....here is what I'd do:

Mandate a standard protective uniform that every player has to use.

Set a max number of downfield receivers....no more of this sending 5 guys out.....that sucks ass.

Set weight limits for every position, like wrestling.

Roll back the ticky-tack stuff on the secondary.