SportsWrath

10-step plan on how to fix the Giants

Nas

That's not a terrible plan. I could get behind that.

Not sure I am in love with the idea of spending our top 3 pick on a Running Back, also not really sold on a long term contract for ODB unless he is willing to take it cheap (relativity) which I doubt he would.

A bunch of shit starting popping up on the NYDN website, over the article. Got tired of that bullshit and stopped reading after a paragraph. Can't deal with that shit. They should learn how to run ads and content on a website one of these days.

Safari now doesn't allow most of that stuff as well as my pet peeve, auto start videos.

Firefox has reader mode.

nydailynews.com

Hey John Mara, here’s the 10-step plan on how to fix the Giants
Gary Myers
10-12 minutes

John Mara looks like he’s aged one year for each of the Giants' 10 losses this season.

“We’ve had an embarrassing season,” he said Monday. “I think most people who know me know how painful that is to me and know how committed I am in trying to put a winning team back on the field. I know our fans are suffering but I’m suffering more. I guarantee it.”

After firing GM Jerry Reese on Monday morning at 10:30 and then firing coach Ben McAdoo, it’s up to Mara to rebuild the organization quickly.

He has enlisted former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi to assist him in the GM process. Accorsi has been a GM consultant for several teams the last few years and Mara holds him in high regard and will lean on him.

Giants Top 5 GM Candidates: How will Ernie Accorsi impact search?

The new GM then will have input into the hiring of the new coach, but Mara and Steve Tisch will have final say. The roster will have to be fixed with smart free-agent signings and the highest and most important draft decision since they acquired Eli Manning on draft day in 2004 for Philip Rivers and a bunch of draft picks.

The Giants were 11-5 last year and made the playoffs. They are 2-10 this year, just fired their coach in-season for the first time since 1976 and if they finish 2-14 it will be their worst record since 1966. They are looking for a new coach and new GM in the same year for the first time since 1979, when George Young was the compromise general manager choice brokered by Pete Rozelle to end a dispute between Wellington and Tim Mara. Young hired Ray Perkins, who hired Bill Parcells.

It brought the Giants out of the dark ages. Beginning with their first championship in 1986, only the Patriots have won more than Big Blue’s four Super Bowls in the last 31 years.

Was last season an aberration? Is this season an aberration?

Giants Top 5 Coaching Candidates: Who should replace Ben McAdoo?

How should Mara fix this mess?

giant-mara-football.jpg John Mara has a lot of work to do to fix this mess. (Alex Brandon/AP)

Here’s the Daily News’ 10-point plan:

1. HIRE DAVE GETTLEMAN AS GM

Gettleman, 66, was in the middle of a strong run as Panthers GM before he was abruptly fired in July. Sources say he is interested in the Giants job.

When Accorsi was Giants GM, he hired Gettleman in 1998 as an assistant in pro personnel, then promoted him to pro personnel director. He was instrumental in the signings of Plaxico Burress and Antonio Pierce. Gettleman stayed until 2012 and was beloved in the Giants organization and by Mara. Accorsi recommended him to Carolina’s Jerry Richardson, who hired him as GM in 2013 and he helped put together the Panthers team that was 15-1 in 2015 but lost to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

By enabling Reese's and McAdoo’s blunders, John Mara looks worse

Interestingly, Accorsi recommended Jerry Reese over Gettleman when he retired as Giants GM after the 2006 season and Reese did help build two Super Bowl champions. Sources say Mara will not be inclined to take a chance on an up-and-comer like Green Bay’s Eliot Wolf, the son of Hall of Famer Ron Wolf. He wants an experienced executive who can deal with what is now considered an explosive situation. Gettleman has the toughness and experience to handle New York.

panthers-offseason-football.jpg The Giants should give Dave Gettleman a call — and more. (Chuck Burton/AP/AP)

What about Chris Mara? John’s younger brother is an excellent personnel guy and is more than qualified. His last name precludes him from getting the job. How could John ever fire him like he just did with Reese? I also don’t think the Tisch family would go for Chris as GM, anyway.

Gettleman was fired by Richardson on July 17 on the eve of training camp. The timing and circumstances were bizarre. Apparently, he upset folks in Carolina when he ran off Panthers legends Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams and lifted the franchise tag from Josh Norman and there was concern that upcoming negotiations with Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis could get nasty.

Initially, I thought Falcons assistant GM Scott Pioli would be high on the Giants’ list and would be an excellent hire, but that is not going to happen.

I think Gettleman is the guy.

Once a Giant. Always a Giant.

2. HIRE JOSH MCDANIELS AS COACH

He lasted only 28 games, same as McAdoo, in his first shot in Denver. He was just a kid in 2009 when he got that job after eight years on Bill Belichick’s staff in New England and bombed. But he returned to finishing school in New England and Tom Brady swears by him as his offensive coordinator. He’s worked for Belichick on all five Super Bowl title teams.

McDaniels, just like Belichick, will do better the second time around. It’s a passing league and the Giants are going to be transitioning soon to a young QB, so hiring the best available offensive assistant as head coach will be essential. Gettleman doesn’t have any ties to McDaniels, but they have Super Bowl rings and can learn to work together. Belichick still is very fond of the Giants despite losing to them twice in the Super Bowl and would likely endorse McDaniels taking the job.

patriots-broncos-footall.jpg Josh McDaniels has flourished as the Patriots' offensive coordinator. (David Zalubowski/AP)
3. CONVINCE ELI TO STAY

If Davis Webb gets meaningful snaps in December games and his play convinces the Giants not to draft a quarterback with what is now the second pick in April, he won’t be ready to start until 2019. If the Giants draft Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold, I remember Accorsi telling Tom Coughlin in 2004 not to even play Manning at all. He believed rookie QBs should sit.

Manning will be 37 next month. He loves the Giants and found out in the last week how much Giants fans love him back. Kerry Collins refused to be Manning’s babysitter in 2004 and was cut. The Giants then signed former Super Bowl MVP Kurt Warner, who embraced the opportunity to restore his market value after the Rams released him. He was benched by Coughlin after a 5-4 start.

The issue is whether Manning will want to stay here and mentor Webb or Darnold/Rosen and be Derek Jeter playing his entire career here or perhaps go to Jacksonville or Denver and be the unquestioned starter for a couple of years. Ultimately, it will depend on the vibe he gets from the new regime.

4. HOPE SAM DARNOLD TRIES AN ELI/ELWAY POWERPLAY

Right now, the draft order is: Browns, Giants, 49ers.

After trading away the draft slots the last two years that enabled the Eagles to draft Carson Wentz and the Texans to draft Deshaun Watson, the winless Browns are going to have to draft a QB. DeShone Kizer is not the answer.

Darnold has until the Jan. 18 deadline to declare for the ’18 draft. My sources believe he’s a better prospect than Josh Rosen. He has a better NFL body and Rosen is injured often. Rosen is more accurate. They both have strong arms.

Any QB would rather come to the Giants than the Browns. If the Browns want Darnold over Rosen, they can hope he will threaten the Browns that he will sit out the year rather than play for Cleveland. The Giants can throw in a second-round pick to flip spots. The Browns can’t take a chance drafting Darnold and endure all the bad publicity if he refuses to play for them.

5. SIGN ODELL BECKHAM LONG-TERM

For now, enforce the $8.4 million fifth year option, but rip it up once he shows in mini-camp that he is fully recovered from his broken ankle. Then just pray he grows up. McDaniels didn’t back down when Brady was screaming at him Sunday. That’s the kind of attitude the Giants are going to need from their new coach to deal with OBJ. When he’s healthy, Beckham can’t be covered.

700069911jr099-jpg.jpg The Giants should pay Odell Beckham Jr. the long-term deal he’s seeking. (Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
6. SIGN PATRIOTS LT NATE SOLDER

Reese whiffed by coming back with the same five starters from a bad offensive line. That by itself was a fireable offense. He didn’t pursue Cincy veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who solidified the Rams’ line. The Giants are expected to have about $30 million in cap space going into free agency. That gives them the room to entice Solder to join McDaniels. Belichick’s replaceable parts approach will prevent him from engaging in a bidding war.

7. SHUFFLE THE OFFENSIVE LINE

I would move Ereck Flowers to right tackle, re-sign Justin Pugh and keep him at left guard, draft Ohio State guard-center Billy Price at the top of the second round — right around the same spot they drafted Chris Snee in 2004 — and re-sign G-C Brett Jones. Solder will anchor the line at left tackle.

8. IF WEBB IS THE GUY, DRAFT SAQUON BARKLEY

Now that it appears Manning will start Sunday at Dallas, interim coach Steve Spagnuolo needs to get Webb on the field. Forget about Geno Smith. Everybody has seen enough. Can you imagine if Webb lights it up the last couple weeks, allowing the Giants to draft Barkley, the Penn State running back. The NFL has devalued backs in this pass-happy era, but Zeke Elliott and Le’Veon Bell are the definition of impact players.

myerscol5s-5-web.jpg Saquon Barkley could become the Giants’ franchise running back. (Abby Drey/TNS)
9. RELEASE WR BRANDON MARSHALL

He is due to make $5 million in 2018. He’s not a $5 million player anymore. Back in March, I suggested the Giants sign him soon after the Jets cut him. But when the season started, he looked slow and old and disinterested almost from the first snap in Dallas, even though Beckham didn’t play in the game.

10. LOWER TICKET PRICES BY 4%

Consider it a holiday gift to Big Blue Nation. After the Giants made the playoffs in 2017, they raised ticket prices by an average of 4%. As a sign of good faith after what may only be a two-win season, slash 4% off the 2018 invoices.

Not sure I am in love with the idea of spending our top 3 pick on a Running Back, also not really sold on a long term contract for ODB unless he is willing to take it cheap (relativity) which I doubt he would.

Honestly, I'd love to trade down more than a few spots and pick up more than a few picks. There are so many holes on this team it'd be impossible to fill them all in seven rounds, even if we hit on all seven players.

Honestly, I'd love to trade down more than a few spots and pick up more than a few picks. There are so many holes on this team it'd be impossible to fill them all in seven rounds, even if we hit on all seven players.

Eh... don't let the 2-10 record fool into thinking we have so many holes... every team has holes and the Giants can address most of them via the draft and FA... If I have a chance to pick up your next Eli, I won't trade down for picks... This team was 11-5 last year... fix the OL and suddenly we don't have that many holes..

Eh... don't let the 2-10 record fool into thinking we have so many holes... every team has holes and the Giants can address most of them via the draft and FA... If I have a chance to pick up your next Eli, I won't trade down for picks... This team was 11-5 last year... fix the OL and suddenly we don't have that many holes..

I'm beginning to wonder about the other side of the ball now too, Nas.

Agreed, we dont have a shit load of holes. This season was a combination of Reese whiffing on the o-line in March/April, mcadoo, and injuries. Two of those problems are in the process of being fixed. Our big personnel holes are outside linebackers, o-line, and kicker. We have three legit pass catching threats, good te depth, goodson, a d-line and a secondary. The run game and qb could use an upgrade but are serviceable and might be very good behind a better o-line. A few homerun moves on the O-line and a great coach could get us right back to double digit wins.

This is a big reason why I want Schwartz. Players love playing for him and I think hell turn them right back around. The talent is mostly there already.

I was thinking of a somewhat similar plan, from a personnel point of view.

1 - OL - Pugh, Jones, and Fluker should remain starters at LG, C, and RG respectively. We're left with a dire need for starting caliber RT and LT. This is one I'd address via free agency rather than the draft. Behind them, can draft mid-rounds for depth and future development.

2 - LB situation - Casillas, Kennard, Robinson, and Sheppard are all free agents. They were also nothing special anyway. I'd like them all walk, unless we can get Kennard on the cheap to remain at SAM. In any case, we need to bring in two starting caliber outside LBs, particularly a WILL LB.

3 - QB - Draft either Darnold or Rosen,with the top 3-4 pick. Eli should have one or two good years left in him, and they can develop behind him.

4 - Next in line for priorities is the secondary. Draft heavy in the mid-rounds at CB and S.

5 - Remaining priorities are RB and depth at DL.

This is the best option if Webb is a prospect.

C. Wagon

I think that's something that has been overlooked this year.

This defense has been pretty shit with the type of money they are being paid.

Vernon and JPP are basically doing their best Osi impressions and disappearing whenever it matters.

Harrison and Tomlinson are two of the bright spots.

The LBs are pretty meh but are serviceable but are still being abused and used by any TE.

And the secondary is a fucking mess.

We may very well need a legit #2 and nickle corner along with a safety across from Collins who can cover since Collins forgot that pass coverage is something he needs to do.

As I see it, we still don't have an NFL caliber linebacker on the team. That's three spots we need right there. We could use a free safety. Jones is serviceable but aside from him, I have no idea what's happening with the rest of the 0-line. I'd bring back Fluker if he's cheap and move Flowers, but that still leaves us in need of a LT and Guard. We have literally no running backs... none is a starter. That's three more holes to fill. We're down a number two receiver, kicker, and possibly punter.

This is also all predicated on the idea that we're ok keeping overpaid guys like Vernon, JPP, and Janoris Jenkins on the team,and that we think Apple and Collins will bounce back... and DRC is back as well.

This is gonna be a lot of work.

First let us get a general manager. I would not be against David Gettleman, hope he learned from his last job the penalties of screwing up marquee player contracts. A higher respect for the guys in the trenches is also a plus; it was a flaw with Accorsi and Reese. Giants should consider hiring someone out of the Steelers' organization.

Cant cut any of those guys other than drc, seph. The way I see it we have

A) instant cuts: Marshall, Harris, Armstrong, hart, rosas. This takes the cap from 20 mil to around 30 mil.

B) bubble: Eli, drc, Jerry, deossie. Cut them and cap goes to 50 mil.

C) uncutables: jpp, vernon, Jenkins, Harrison, flowers, apple, Ellison, engram, Tomlinson. Dead cap exceeds 2018 cap number. Cutting any of them lowers cap room. Their cap numbers make up 49% of the 2018 salary cap.

D) Blue Chip rookie contracts that will require big extension: Odell, Collins (2019).

E) production exceeds contract/cheap depth/need time to evaluate: wing, Shepard, Thompson, Webb, Goodson, Perkins, gallman, Lewis, both Adams, okwara, Moss, everyone else.

Were stuck with everyone in group C. If we want to retool while trying to compete, which Im guessing is maras preferred route, then we keep group b, draft a qb, groom the kids behind eli, and do the best you can with 30 mil in cap space and high end draft capital to bring in offensive linemen and linebackers. This means possibly bringing back fluker and casillas. I think Pugh will get overpaid in free agency and maybe we get lucky with richberg, but a lot of teams have offensive line problems so they might both end up out of our budget. Solder is going to command over 10 mil in cap space next year.

If you dont want to compete, then we cut group b, sign a McCown type to start ahead of the kids, and have 50 mil to fill the same holes plus the four extra cuts. Meanwhile if the coach and gm are good then a core consisting of groups c,d, and e + free agents + picks = 2017 Jets, a team that expected a rock bottom rebuilding year winning 5-8 meaningless games and having average draft capital in 2019.

Both routes are really hard because of the amount of talent we have locked into this team. If I had to choose, Id choose the first route because a) the right gm could hit some homeruns on the o-line this offseason b) I chalk the defenses underperformance up to mcadoos presence and injuries. So the right coach could turn it around. C) the fans already had a really shitty year. The fan happiness over Reese and mcadoo being gone is out the window as soon as the offseason begins. We just came off a rebuilding period that was supposed to be over in 2016. Enough is enough. Lets draft for the future and go for it next year.

That doesn't mean we ignore the other side of the line... I just can't fathom passing on the next franchise QB... you don't get to have a top 3 pick often... unless you're an organization that's used to losing... The Giants is not that kind of organization.. so in this circumstance, you make the best out of a bad situation and get your next Russel Wilson or Carson Wentz... etc.

The other side of the ball is pretty solid and can use a few pieces here and there... but that's just what the NFL is about.

I was thinking of a somewhat similar plan, from a personnel point of view.

1 - OL - Pugh, Jones, and Fluker should remain starters at LG, C, and RG respectively. We're left with a dire need for starting caliber RT and LT. This is one I'd address via free agency rather than the draft. Behind them, can draft mid-rounds for depth and future development.

2 - LB situation - Casillas, Kennard, Robinson, and Sheppard are all free agents. They were also nothing special anyway. I'd like them all walk, unless we can get Kennard on the cheap to remain at SAM. In any case, we need to bring in two starting caliber outside LBs, particularly a WILL LB.

3 - QB - Draft either Darnold or Rosen,with the top 3-4 pick. Eli should have one or two good years left in him, and they can develop behind him.

4 - Next in line for priorities is the secondary. Draft heavy in the mid-rounds at CB and S.

5 - Remaining priorities are RB and depth at DL.

I would like to see us get a very good LT in FA if possible... I don't know who's out there but again.. teams don't let good tackles walk.

This is the best option if Webb is a prospect.

C. Wagon

I don't think we will have enough time to see what Webb can do... for this reason alone, I think getting a QB with the 1st pick is paramount... worse case scenario we have an RGIII/Kirk Cousins scenario on our hands with or without Eli when he decides to hang 'em up... The Pats trade their QBs all the time...