SportsWrath

What do you guys think about LaVar Arrington leaving the Skins...

Plax 4 Prez

LB Arrington parts ways with Redskins

NFL.com wire reports

WASHINGTON (March 6, 2006) -- LaVar Arrington was so disenchanted with the Washington Redskins that he gave up money rather than stay with the team.

The three-time Pro Bowl linebacker and the Redskins parted ways late March 5 in a deal that allowed Arrington to become a free agent while giving the team a needed break in its effort to get under the salary cap.

"It's going to be best for the Redskins. I hope it's going to be best for LaVar," coach Joe Gibbs said March 6. "I think it gives him a chance for a fresh start. ... I certainly wish the last two years had been smoother here."

img9287766.jpg

LaVar Arrington leaves the Redskins after six seasons in D.C.

An official with knowledge of the transaction, speaking to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said Arrington agreed to a buyout that relinquished more than $4 million rather than restructure his contract in a way that would allow him to remain in Washington.

"It really came down to two scenarios," Gibbs said. "One of them would be that LaVar would be here next year and there would be guaranteed moneys for next year, and he would play here next year. The second scenario is one where if he could help us with the cap, we could make him a free agent. LaVar last night made the decision that he would like the latter."

Gibbs said the Redskins have reached provisional agreements with "11 or 12" veterans over the past week to restructure their contracts so the team could get under the NFL's salary cap. The team will need to slash some $20 million of cap money if there is no new collective bargaining agreement before the start of free agency.

The free agent market was originally scheduled to open March 3, but it has been postponed twice while negotiations continue between the NFL and the players union. It's now scheduled to start March 9 at 12:01 a.m.

The official told the AP that Arrington was the only Redskins player who refused to rework his deal. Arrington was disgruntled over playing time last season and wanted a chance to pursue free agency.

Yet the Redskins couldn't cut Arrington outright because it would have cost the team under the league's complex salary cap rules. He was due to count some $12 million against the cap in 2006, including a $6.5 million roster bonus.

So Arrington essentially agreed to give money back -- and forfeit the upcoming roster bonus -- to buy his freedom.

Messages left for Arrington and his agent Monday were not immediately returned.

Arrington's departure marks a sour end in Washington for the franchise's most popular player of recent years. Arrington was the No. 2 overall draft pick in 2000 and played in three straight Pro Bowls from 2001-03. He signed an eight-year, $68 million contract extension near the end of the 2003 season, moved his family to the area and vowed to remain with the Redskins throughout his career.

But Arrington hurt his knee early in the 2004 season and played in only four games. In April 2005, after his second knee surgery, he criticized team officials for the way his injury was handled. He was also in a dispute with owner Dan Snyder over a $6.5 million bonus he claimed was missing from the final version of his contract.

The contract dispute was eventually settled, but Arrington then found himself unable to get on the field. He was a marginal player in the first six games of the season last year and didn't play at all in a loss at Denver. Coaches said Arrington was still recovering from his knee injury, but there was also the sense that Arrington, a creative player known to make big plays by freelancing on the field, wasn't a good fit in assistant coach Gregg Williams' disciplined defensive schemes.

Arrington eventually regained his starting job at midseason, but was not the impact player he had been in years past. He finished the season without a sack, and his only interception came in the playoff victory at Tampa Bay.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/9287704

I got a question for you.....

Why the fuck would you want an unmotivated, dumb as a brick slacker on our team?

Why? Because he'll have something to prove and he'll be in the same division as the Redskins, so he'd want to do all he can to make sure we're better... plus he would be with AP again, and AP won't let him be a little bitch

Why? Because he'll have something to prove and he'll be in the same division as the Redskins, so he'd want to do all he can to make sure we're better... plus he would be with AP again, and AP won't let him be a little bitch

he will likely be demanding far too much money for a player who was benched by his former coach. Give me Witherspoon, Ernie Simms or Demeco Ryans any day of the week....

he will likely be demanding far too much money for a player who was benched by his former coach. Give me Witherspoon, Ernie Simms or Demeco Ryans any day of the week....

your defiantely right, but my question to you is do you really think he would be an instant impact on our team? If he's affordable he'd defiantely worth a one or two year contract

your defiantely right, but my question to you is do you really think he would be an instant impact on our team? If he's affordable he'd defiantely worth a one or two year contract

Personally i just don't think he has the smarts or work ethic to be a big time player. Now, if he came here I believe he would be a good player....GOOD player, not a game changer or pro bowler....but just a solid player...but he would be demanding to much money to only get a slight return

Plaxico was never benched.....just some food for thought :TU:

He wasn't a former Pro Bowler either ... nor did he have an injury that took away from his AA.

I think Williams's decision to bench him and let him go is very indicative of LaVar's play...

I'm for signing Lavar only if it comes at the right price and truly thinks, not just tells the media he can tha he can handle him, AND AP is positive about him. He is still only 27 and in order to reach the next level, you have to take a chance on a guy like him. For the right price, and the right price only, we should at least take a look at him.

Who the hell would play over him? Tim Carter???

edit: He was benched for missing a meeting and didn't play a full quarter (I believe it was the SD game)

Arrington was benched for almost half a season. That is a big difference.

Guest nosebleed
I got a question for you.....

Why the fuck would you want an unmotivated, dumb as a brick slacker on our team?

:clap:

My thoughts exactly...........

So do you believe that Arrington will never make a pro bowl again or be an elite LB? I'm just curious.

He'll never be an elite LB. Frankly, I never felt he was. He might make another Pro Bowl on reputation, but not on merit...

*was.

No thanks to Arrington. Not a smart player, and one of the better defensive coaches in the league didn't want him.

I agree. Its funny he says he wants to stay in the NFC east but not the Cowboys. Then that leaves the Eagles and Giants, both teams admitted to running at Lavar because they knew he would be out of position.