SportsWrath

So what's really going to happen on Thursday?

Sephiroth

I'm of two minds of what I think the Giants will do on Thursday.

On one hand, I'd love to see them grab Scherff with the ninth pick, or trade down a few spots and still grab him. Yeah, I think he's gonna end up being a guard in this league, but I think he's the kind of kid that might really solidfy that line and make everyone else around him better. I think if you plug him in at LG, then Will Beatty immediately gets a little more nasty, and Weston Richburg can do his job a little better as well. Assuming you can get Schwarz to play a decent amount of games, you might get a halfway decent line.

Also, I think Reese realizes he needs another good draft to stick around, and he needs guys that can play on day one. Scherff will give you ten good years out of that spot, and will also keep Eli alive for the immediate future as well. Yeah, you're not getting "value" with a guard at 9, but Reese needs a safe pick here... Scherff is about as safe as you're going to get.

On the other hand, we just got Spags back too, and it seems like the Giants like to give brand new coordinators a toy to play with when they first get here. I could see them going for somebody like Vic Beasley if he's still there (I think he can be a solid WILL 4-3 linebacker) but honestly anybody else I think is going to be a bit of a disappointment as far as pass rushers go. Shane Ray, Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler... none of those guys set my world on fire with that pick. Something tells me Danny Shelton is going to be a bust for any team that drafts him too.

I'd also love if Amari Cooper fell to us and we scooped him up, but I think he and Kevin White are both going to be gone.

What do you all think?

Giants don't draft Scherff, grab another player. Rest of the draft goes off with the Giants leaving with players nobody had on their board. Giants grab the top players after the draft as fans settle in for two months of anger at the draft and hope we get people back from IR last season into training camp. Giants lose two of the games during preseason and the defense looks like shit for the first four weeks of the regular season.

I agree on wanting Scherff. I tried talking myself into the you don't draft a guard in the top ten theory, but what difference does it make. That Oline with Seubert, O'Hara, Diehl, McKenzie and Snee was has big a reason we won that 2007 super bowl has it was pass rush. I do think Reese is going to overthink this pick, like we have been trying to do and will go with the athletic guy with upside, who won't provide immediate dividends

Mariota.

JR goes off the deep end.

Eli is playing for the Redskins next year.

In all honesty I don't know, every year thousands of mock drafts all end up the same just ass wiping material.

I'm hoping for someone with a funky name, we havent had a Prince or Kiwi in awhile.

It's impossible to guess what's going through the minds of the Giants front office. They always surprise me.

Personally, I think they want a future LT because Will Beatty is 30 years old and only has a couple of good years left. He'll probably retire in 3 years and it's a hard position to fill and it usually takes a year or two for a LT to be a solid player in the NFL - it's harder than hell to find a guy to fill that slot. A solid LT free agent will cost over 10m a year. I also believe they prefer to move Pugh inside and use him as the backup RT and use the drafted player at RT during the learning process before throwing him into the fire on the left side. That's what I'd do anyway.

They can get a fine guard like Marpot or a half dozen others in later rounds.

If I had a 100.00 in Vegas, I'd bet my money like this:

30.00 Andrus Peat (pro-bowl future)

25.00 Erick Flowers (pro-bowl future)

20.00 Brandon Scherff (pro-bowl future - will probably end up playing guard though)

15.00 La'el Collins (potential pro-bowler - will probably have to move to guard)

5.00 Cooper or White (would be more, but I don't believe either will fall that far)

5.00 trade down

Mariota.

JR goes off the deep end.

Eli is playing for the Redskins next year.

In all honesty I don't know, every year thousands of mock drafts all end up the same just ass wiping material.

I'm hoping for someone with a funky name, we havent had a Prince or Kiwi in awhile.

Owamagbe Odighizuwa in round two

Perfect.

My actual prediction, Giants take a good hard look at Nelson Agholor in the second round.

Natural slot WR, return man, faster than what the tape shows, natural hands and feel for the position. Steve Smith 2.0 out of USC.

If they got one of the LTs (Peat or Flowers) in the first, and Odighizuwa in the second, it would be a coup to solidify the trenches and give the Giants one of the best o-lines and d-lines in the NFL. Everything else would just be gravy in the draft after that.

Pick up Justin Hardy or Shaq Thompson in the third - I will dance in the streets.

only if he can do backflips

After 2 hip surgeries, I doubt he would do a backflip if he could.

If not for his surgeries, he'd be the top DE in the draft and he's definitely a 4-3 DE and not a tweener. Supposedly, his medicals turned out fine, but it should make him slip a little. Him and JPP would make great bookends. I kind of doubt he'll be on the board when we are up in the 2nd, but if there's a run on WR's and QB's there's a chance he'll be there.

Waiting until Thursday and Friday is killing me.

I think it's going to be Scherff or Peat. As I have evaluated everything, I think Collins, while I believe he will be a good player, isn't quite as good as Scherff and doesn't have the ceiling of Peat. I think Peat can be special. Like a once in a generation type of LT down the line. I think Scherff is so polished and NFL ready right now, he'll be a plus OG right away, and I think he'll translate well to OT

I can still see the Giants pulling the trigger on Landon Collins given the enormous hole we have at safety...unless there are some free agents aside from Stevie Brown floating around out there that they're looking to sign.

I'm more and more in the o-line or d-line category in the first and second.

Giants don't draft Scherff, grab another player. Rest of the draft goes off with the Giants leaving with players nobody had on their board. Giants grab the top players after the draft as fans settle in for two months of anger at the draft and hope we get people back from IR last season into training camp. Giants lose two of the games during preseason and the defense looks like shit for the first four weeks of the regular season.

It's Spagnuolo all over again.

No on Peat. Probably the biggest pussy in this entire draft. He consistently gets knocked off balance

Peat is the best tackle in the draft for keeping the QB upright. His foot work is phenomenal. However, he doesn't have a noticeable mean streak and stays calm. Some people call that "being a pussy", some call it "staying focused on the game". He can push as well, but doesn't try to pancake a guy and doesn't lose his cool.

Flowers is the best tackle suited for a running play and plays with a mean streak, but doesn't have the great footwork for pass protection yet. He's a mauler that would be best suited to blow open a hole. His mean streak makes up for a lack of athleticism needed to protect the QB. If he can gain experience to have Peat's foot work, he'd be the best LT in the draft. But he has a way to go.

Scherff is also a mauler, strong, and great for the running game, but he'd do it in the guard position. Nothing wrong with that. Many people have tried to make him appear to the 2nd coming of Zack Martin, but he's not. He's a bull that will go in the middle of the line who has great strength and balance.

Each of the top linemen in the draft have a specialty. None of them dominate at both needs, stopping the pass rush and mauling open holes for a RB. If the goal is establishing a running game, Flowers and Scherff make the most sense. If keeping Eli upright is the goal for a superior air game, Peat is the man.

All depends on what the coaches are looking to establish as their style of play. Regardless, to cast Peat off as a wasted pick is nonsense. He is an excellent tackle who would takeover the right side and eventually move to the left side as a perennial pro-bowler.

Peat is the best tackle in the draft for keeping the QB upright. His foot work is phenomenal. However, he doesn't have a noticeable mean streak and stays calm. Some people call that "being a pussy", some call it "staying focused on the game". He can push as well, but doesn't try to pancake a guy and doesn't lose his cool.

Flowers is the best tackle suited for a running play and plays with a mean streak, but doesn't have the great footwork for pass protection yet. He's a mauler that would be best suited to blow open a hole. His mean streak makes up for a lack of athleticism needed to protect the QB. If he can gain experience to have Peat's foot work, he'd be the best LT in the draft. But he has a way to go.

Scherff is also a mauler, strong, and great for the running game, but he'd do it in the guard position. Nothing wrong with that. Many people have tried to make him appear to the 2nd coming of Zack Martin, but he's not. He's a bull that will go in the middle of the line who has great strength and balance.

Each of the top linemen in the draft have a specialty. None of them dominate at both needs, stopping the pass rush and mauling open holes for a RB. If the goal is establishing a running game, Flowers and Scherff make the most sense. If keeping Eli upright is the goal for a superior air game, Peat is the man.

All depends on what the coaches are looking to establish as their style of play. Regardless, to cast Peat off as a wasted pick is nonsense. He is an excellent tackle who would takeover the right side and eventually move to the left side as a perennial pro-bowler.

I wouldn't put him against the SDE with his weaknesses. He would consistently get overpowered and that can't afford to sit a guy for a year

Perfect.

My actual prediction, Giants take a good hard look at Nelson Agholor in the second round.

Natural slot WR, return man, faster than what the tape shows, natural hands and feel for the position. Steve Smith 2.0 out of USC.

If he's there in the 2nd it would be a great pick but his stock has gone up a lot, considered by some to be the most complete WR in the group.

I wouldn't complain about trading down a few spots, then taking Landon Collins, as S is now probably an even bigger need than OL.

If he's there in the 2nd it would be a great pick but his stock has gone up a lot, considered by some to be the most complete WR in the group.

I wouldn't complain about trading down a few spots, then taking Landon Collins, as S is now probably an even bigger need than OL.

Agree more and more on the trading down...but there has to be a player that a lower picking team desires, that is also likely to go to the teams immediately following our pick. Further, if we're looking at Landon Collins, I have to believe that the Saints would be interested at 13. That means, we can't move down any lower than 12.

9 - Giants

10 - Rams

11 - Vikings

12 - Browns

So, out of the Rams, Vikings, Browns...who would still be available that they'd be willing to move up 1-3 spots to get?

Agree more and more on the trading down...but there has to be a player that a lower picking team desires, that is also likely to go to the teams immediately following our pick. Further, if we're looking at Landon Collins, I have to believe that the Saints would be interested at 13. That means, we can't move down any lower than 12.

9 - Giants

10 - Rams

11 - Vikings

12 - Browns

So, out of the Rams, Vikings, Browns...who would still be available that they'd be willing to move up 1-3 spots to get?

I think the wildcard is Kevin White. I think if he drops, either the Vikings or Browns might want to trade up to #9 to get him, as he's a legitimate #1 receiver, something the Rams need. I was going to say White or Cooper, but my thought is that Cooper will not make it past the Jets at #6 in no way, shape, or form.

The Rams also have not yet resigned their RT, Joe Barksdale, so if only one of Scherff or Peat is still on the board at #9, and say the Giants like Collins, Flowers, maybe even Fisher, Clemmings, or Humphries, they could trade down to #13 (Saints) or even lower... the Vikings and Browns don't really have needs at either OT position, but another team might want to jump ahead of the Rams to ensure they get a top tier OT.

As for me, I wouldn't mind moving one or two spots if both Scherff and Peat are still available, as well as White, and a team is targeting White, then that would be ok. But honestly, I'd be a little disappointed if the Giants don't get Scherff or Peat, because they are the two dominating Offensive Linemen in this draft, IMO. I think Collins might be that as well, but I am starting to believe that Scherff or Peat are in a tier by themselves, so I really want the Giants to get one of them.

Makes him sound like Jonathan Martin from Stanford. "Doesn't take well to hard coaching" He gets overpowered and knocked off the ball a lot, i wouldn't call that focus

All depends on who and what you read. Todd McShay says he's the best tackle in the draft and the only tackle worthy of a top 10 pick. He also says Scherff is worthy of a top 10 pick as a guard. But those are the only two worthy of top 10 pick. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/02/todd_mcshay_likes_stanford_offensive_tackle_andrus.html

From BBV:

Scout Lance Zierlein ended up putting Peat as his top tackle in the draft, one that he said he was surprised by, but he seemed confident in that evaluation. Jason La Canfora reported that there was a tremendous amount of buzz for Peat going in the top nine picks. Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting stated that at the combine, based on what he was hearing from scouts and team executives, he gave Peat the "best odds" for being the tackle taken in the top 10. Dane Brugler has him now as his best tackle. Bucky Brooks has had him rated as his best tackle. Ourlads has had him as their top tackle and through their sources have noted that he's killed his interviews, that he's a film nut and "knows his opponents better than they know themselves."

Russ Lande has had Peat as one of his top tackles as has Greg Gabriel, who states "don't be surprised if come draft day, Peat is the first offensive lineman drafted. Not too many have his combination of size, strength, athleticism, and production. He looks like a future Pro Bowl type tackle and will play right away." Draft Insider Tony Pauline has him as a top 10 player in this draft and "won't get past the St. Louis Rams at 10 and could even go earlier."

Nolan Nawrocki called Peat in his draft guide "one of the best offensive tackle prospects in the last decade." Truly, truly high praise. One of the issues regarding Peat is this reputation of being "soft" which has been debunked in his interviews, as his father forbade him from playing football, but he ignored him and played anyway, displaying a passion for the game. College Football Focus rated Peat as the only highly-rated offensive tackle that ended up in their top 10 in both pass protection and run blocking. Matt Miller recently just stated that he talked to a lot of former offensive linemen and scouts and stated he needed to move Andrus Peat up because the most important part of an OT's game is "recovery, and Peat is the best at it." The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel does a GREAT feature where they poll anonymous scouts and get their take on a lot of these prospects. Four of the scouts they polled stated that he'd be the first offensive tackle taken. The quote they used were "He's got everything. The size, the bend, the feet, the tenacity .... he's the top tackle."

The final guy (and in my opinion, the most important guy) who thinks Peat would be a great pick is of course, Invictus XI, who believes Peat has the footwork, first step, and power to have Pro Bowl upside at tackle.

Peat has NFL bloodlines as his father, Todd Peat, was a guard for years with the Cardinals and Raiders and right or wrong, that's something the Giants have been connected with. They take players with NFL bloodlines. On top of that, the Giants LOVE taking highly-rated high school prospects. Peat? Oh yeah, he got more than 20 Division 1 scholarship offers at some of the best football schools. Did I mention how young he is? He's 21 years old, a full two years younger than Brandon Scherff.

So he is a highly-decorated, young, intelligent player with NFL bloodlines that did well in interviews and plays at a position of need and high positional value. Connect the dots. This guy is my odds on favorite to be the pick".

The Bronco fans are praying that Peat falls so they can get him and the fans are talking about trading up.

Regardless - you can find people who say "Peat is garbage" as well as "Peat is the best tackle to come out of college in a decade". Take your pick.

Here's what his coach at Stanford says about him: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000368598/article/david-shaw-andrus-peat-can-be-best-ot-since-jonathan-ogden

Here's the Jets fan site has to say about him: http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/10/7512987/scouting-the-draft-andrus-peat-ot-stanford

It's hard to determine which paid analysts are right and which are wrong - they have to spew an opinion in order to keep their jobs. Also, it is impossible to know if there is an ulterior motive for making statements about a player - especially from scouts from teams with late picks hoping to throw dirt on a player so that he might fall to them. It's a game and the only thing that really matters is what the Giants front office and coaches think of him.

All depends on who and what you read. Todd McShay says he's the best tackle in the draft and the only tackle worthy of a top 10 pick. He also says Scherff is worthy of a top 10 pick as a guard. But those are the only two worthy of top 10 pick. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/02/todd_mcshay_likes_stanford_offensive_tackle_andrus.html

From BBV:

Scout Lance Zierlein ended up putting Peat as his top tackle in the draft, one that he said he was surprised by, but he seemed confident in that evaluation. Jason La Canfora reported that there was a tremendous amount of buzz for Peat going in the top nine picks. Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting stated that at the combine, based on what he was hearing from scouts and team executives, he gave Peat the "best odds" for being the tackle taken in the top 10. Dane Brugler has him now as his best tackle. Bucky Brooks has had him rated as his best tackle. Ourlads has had him as their top tackle and through their sources have noted that he's killed his interviews, that he's a film nut and "knows his opponents better than they know themselves."

Russ Lande has had Peat as one of his top tackles as has Greg Gabriel, who states "don't be surprised if come draft day, Peat is the first offensive lineman drafted. Not too many have his combination of size, strength, athleticism, and production. He looks like a future Pro Bowl type tackle and will play right away." Draft Insider Tony Pauline has him as a top 10 player in this draft and "won't get past the St. Louis Rams at 10 and could even go earlier."

Nolan Nawrocki called Peat in his draft guide "one of the best offensive tackle prospects in the last decade." Truly, truly high praise. One of the issues regarding Peat is this reputation of being "soft" which has been debunked in his interviews, as his father forbade him from playing football, but he ignored him and played anyway, displaying a passion for the game. College Football Focus rated Peat as the only highly-rated offensive tackle that ended up in their top 10 in both pass protection and run blocking. Matt Miller recently just stated that he talked to a lot of former offensive linemen and scouts and stated he needed to move Andrus Peat up because the most important part of an OT's game is "recovery, and Peat is the best at it." The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel does a GREAT feature where they poll anonymous scouts and get their take on a lot of these prospects. Four of the scouts they polled stated that he'd be the first offensive tackle taken. The quote they used were "He's got everything. The size, the bend, the feet, the tenacity .... he's the top tackle."

The final guy (and in my opinion, the most important guy) who thinks Peat would be a great pick is of course, Invictus XI, who believes Peat has the footwork, first step, and power to have Pro Bowl upside at tackle.

Peat has NFL bloodlines as his father, Todd Peat, was a guard for years with the Cardinals and Raiders and right or wrong, that's something the Giants have been connected with. They take players with NFL bloodlines. On top of that, the Giants LOVE taking highly-rated high school prospects. Peat? Oh yeah, he got more than 20 Division 1 scholarship offers at some of the best football schools. Did I mention how young he is? He's 21 years old, a full two years younger than Brandon Scherff.

So he is a highly-decorated, young, intelligent player with NFL bloodlines that did well in interviews and plays at a position of need and high positional value. Connect the dots. This guy is my odds on favorite to be the pick".

The Bronco fans are praying that Peat falls so they can get him and the fans are talking about trading up.

Regardless - you can find people who say "Peat is garbage" as well as "Peat is the best tackle to come out of college in a decade". Take your pick.

Here's what his coach at Stanford says about him: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000368598/article/david-shaw-andrus-peat-can-be-best-ot-since-jonathan-ogden

Here's the Jets fan site has to say about him: http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/10/7512987/scouting-the-draft-andrus-peat-ot-stanford

It's hard to determine which paid analysts are right and which are wrong - they have to spew an opinion in order to keep their jobs. Also, it is impossible to know if there is an ulterior motive for making statements about a player - especially from scouts from teams with late picks hoping to throw dirt on a player so that he might fall to them. It's a game and the only thing that really matters is what the Giants front office and coaches think of him.

There is disagreement about him...like there is about most prospects in this draft. Personally I am on the he's garbage side. He may have upside and he mirrors well. I have no idea why some of these guys list power has a strength, power is my big concern with him