SportsWrath

Sources: Giants To Re-Sign Nicks

Mr. P

Nicks looked fine this preseason in a possession receiver role but whisenhunt only wanted to carry 4 receivers on the roster. It really all depends on his foot but he had a lot of workouts and no one signed him so I'm guessing it never got back to 100%

This is awesome... we're replacing a guy who's season was ruined when Coughlin rushed him back from injury (Cruz) with a guy who's CAREER was ruined because Coughlin rushed him back from injury!

In August, Nicks chalked up the lackluster conclusion to his time with the Giants to health issues.

"I still had to heal up on some injuries (in New York)," he said in August, per John Glennon of the Tennessean. "I had that foot injury, and no matter how bad your mentality is that you want to shake it, it's just something you have to overcome. But I think that's where it went wrong in New York, just rushing some injuries."

Yes he played on a jones fracture when Mark barron rebroke it. Same injury that dez and edelman have. He should've taken time off instead of telling everyone he was fine

Agreed. I remember that shoestring tackle like it was yesterday, he was never the same after that. Props to him for trying to play thru it but it was really dumb in the Long run.

That said, I'm SOOOO excited about this signing. I think he can move some chains with his body/hands and if he's our 3-4 WR he might have some gas each week. He played decent as the colts 3rd WR last year and in preseason this year. He's just slow, but I'm sure he still has a little burst if he's a backup and his hands and frame didn't shrink much.

Love this.

Paul Schwartz @NYPost_Schwartz 51s52 seconds ago Manhattan, NY

Hakeem Nicks: "This is home. You know what they say, ‘Let a dog roam, he’ll find his way home.’ They left the backdoor open for me.”

New York Giants @Giants 5m5 minutes ago

Hakeem Nicks is back with BIG BLUE! Watch our exclusive interview with him HERE: http://bit.ly/1SWALst

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 51s52 seconds ago Manhattan, NY

Hakeem Nicks: "This is home. You know what they say, ‘Let a dog roam, he’ll find his way home.’ They left the backdoor open for me.”

New York Giants ‏@Giants 5m5 minutes ago

Hakeem Nicks is back with BIG BLUE! Watch our exclusive interview with him HERE: http://bit.ly/1SWALst

I believe the great DMX once said that.

I agree with Bleedin, I'd give Davis some more plays and see what he could do, he's more of a possession wideout.

Hakeem Nicks will teach DAvis how to be a WR. Nicks will step up big for us and Davis will learn from it.

2 years later nicks is on IR and then Davis is ready

I think this is a fantastic signing. Nicks might not get separation and might not have the speed on go routes etc....but he is a big body who can be used differently in moving the chains. And he can catch in traffic. We are used to seeing Nicks be our No.1 and think and know he cant do that anymore. He wont. We have to view him as a different player in a different role. He is probably a more useful chain mover than anyone. Plus the chemistry with Eli always helps.

Victor Cruz just needs to do some yoga and that will magically cure him of a torn patellar tendon and a torn calf muscle. Yoga Man, that's all you need

Yoga or proper conditioning to PREVENT stupid injuries like torn pecs and hammies... Sports Conditioning 101.

Personally, I hope he comes back and does very well. Heck, 2 years ago we were talking about how on earth we can keep both Cruz and Nicks because both were going to want 12 million a year. We finally settled on Cruz which left little money to resign Nicks.

Players have come back from injury before. Nicks was a stud receiver at one time and he's only 27 years old. In general, scientific studies show that males reach their peak athleticism and strength at 29 years old and begin producing less natural testosterone around age 30. In some sports (i.e., pitching in MLB), athletes actually get better because they rely more on their brain and experience instead of superior athleticism. Victor Cruz is 2 years older than Nicks, but we still hold out hope that he'll return next year at 30 years old.

Regardless...if he can help the Giants this season, then I support him 100%. I don't know if he'll ever have the speed and cuts he used to have, but if I remember rightly, he had ridiculously huge hands (the largest of any football player in the NFL)...had freak hands the size of baseball gloves. If he can pull in some of Eli's throws - should be a good signing. And Eli has been a really hot QB this year with very - even deadly - accurate throws. He needs receivers with good sticky hands.

Loved Nicks' statement to the press. "I'm like an old dog that takes off and gets lost, but eventually always finds his way back home and thankfully, the master left the backdoor open for me". Cool analogy!