SportsWrath

Anyone going to today's game?

RandolphScott

For all of Tom's talk of "finishing the game" it's him the doesn't know how to fucking do it. There is absolutely NO reason to throw the ball first and goal from the 6. In fact, you lower your chances of winning by throwing incomplete passes and stopping the clock. Every person who has ever followed football for even a little amount of time knows that.

For all of Tom's talk of "finishing the game" it's him the doesn't know how to fucking do it. There is absolutely NO reason to throw the ball first and goal from the 6. In fact, you lower your chances of winning by throwing incomplete passes and stopping the clock. Every person who has ever followed football for even a little amount of time knows that.

Then gain, we don't have RB worth a shit anyway, so we've become a throwing team.

It really wouldn't have mattered with a full 40 more seconds off the clock

I just think on that last drive if we had a better running game, that pass to Harris wouldn't have been the choice. coaches and players fucked that game up in so many ways. l knew we'd lose after that special teams return they got.

We needed to score a TD. Running it 3X and kicking a FG still would have left plenty of time for Brady to get them into FG range. SO many things could have happened, like Collins catching the easy INT, that would have changed the outcome and we're not having this conversation right now. This reflexive knee jerk, blame the coach reaction to every loss is ridiculous. We're getting more out of this roster than we had any right to expect.

We needed to score a TD. Running it 3X and kicking a FG still would have left plenty of time for Brady to get them into FG range. SO many things could have happened, like Collins catching the easy INT, that would have changed the outcome and we're not having this conversation right now. This reflexive knee jerk, blame the coach reaction to every loss is ridiculous. We're getting more out of this roster than we had any right to expect.

With better time management we'd be 8-2 or even 9-1 right now. There's nothing "knee jerk" about it. It's a persistent issue.

With better time management we'd be 8-2 or even 9-1 right now. There's nothing "knee jerk" about it. It's a persistent issue.

The Cowboy game, yes....and it seems like Eli might have had as much to do with that clusterf*ck as the coaches. But 9-1???? Pass me some of that shit, I haven't had anything that potent in a while! Yesterday was not on the coaches. Odell and/or Collins hang onto VERY catchable balls, we win. Stop them on 4th and 10, we win. Run three times and kick the FG at the end and we still could have lost.

The Cowboy game, yes....and it seems like Eli might have had as much to do with that clusterf*ck as the coaches. But 9-1???? Pass me some of that shit, I haven't had anything that potent in a while! Yesterday was not on the coaches. Odell and/or Collins hang onto VERY catchable balls, we win. Stop them on 4th and 10, we win. Run three times and kick the FG at the end and we still could have lost.

Dallas, NO & NE for sure came down to poor clock management. Each time we gave the ball back to the opponent with a chance to take back the lead, and lost becasue of it. The other one I was thinking of was ATL, where they scored the winning TD with 1:20 left, but that was more a case of us being unable to sustain drives for most of the 4th.

Yeah, I say the players lost the game too. they got a little too comfortable after we were up 20 to 10, then started looking deflated after the special teams run back. I knew right there the shit would change.

Dallas, NO & NE for sure came down to poor clock management. Each time we gave the ball back to the opponent with a chance to take back the lead, and lost becasue of it. The other one I was thinking of was ATL, where they scored the winning TD with 1:20 left, but that was more a case of us being unable to sustain drives for most of the 4th.

Dallas yes, other two, no. With NO, it came down to not being able to get a first down when we had the ball with a minute or two to go and a chance to drive into FG range for the win. We went 3 and out and they came back to beat us at the gun. Yesterday, even if we run the ball 3X, NE would have had time to come back if all they needed was a FG. We needed to score a TD and a run was called on first down but Eli changed it to a pass play that WAS open but Odell got it swatted away.

Saw this today in the Post: “We had some runs called, and they weren’t going to let us run,” Manning said. “They had goal-line personnel [with extra linemen] in, and they just weren’t going to let us run the ball in that situation. So the one to Odell on first down was actually a run call.

“That was just kind of the way it was going to be,” Manning added. “They weren’t going to let us run the ball right there.”

I don't have a problem with Eli throwing to Beckham in the endzone, not at all. But they should have taken more time getting there. From the Harris catch onwards. They were already in comfortable field goal range and NE had burnt a time-out. 2:10 left on the clock. All they have to do at that stage is stay in possession through three clock stopages, which would only require one more 1st down, kick an easy FG and walk off. Brady should never have had the ball in his hands.

How do you figure dude? From what I remember they kicked the ball with 6 seconds left. Subtract 40 and you're lefft withh -34. In other words, the game would have been over.

You guys are crazy coach apologists. You could put this on the players if it wasn't about the 20th time the Giants have blown a lead in the 4th quarter. Getting complacent, going into shell mode on offense, inexplicably allowing Eli manning to have ANY discretion with 3-4 minutes left, failing to make good decisions regarding clock management are ALL on coaching.

It's Coughlin who doesn't know how to finish a game. Not the players.

How do you figure dude? From what I remember they kicked the ball with 6 seconds left. Subtract 40 and you're lefft withh -34. In other words, the game would have been over.

Go watch it again. They had a TO and the 2 minute warning. And anyway, you're missing the main point: We needed to score a TD! They were max loaded against the run and Eli went to the right call. Odell needed to hang on. We also needed to catch a gimmie INT or stop them on 4th and 10 and oh yeah, an 80 yard punt return didn't help, either. Any of those things break our way and we pull off the upset and it's a different story today.

You and a lot of people are consumed with the "Clock management/Coughlin's fault" narrative, based on the first game, where it was a legit story - they did screw up (and Eli helped). Once that seed is planted, there's a tendency to see every game through that prism, as if that was the whole story, when in fact, it wouldn't have been a story at all if we'd made the plays we needed to make when it counted.

Screaming for the coach's head is an easy way to vent, so I get that. You just miss the bigger picture of what they're getting out of a threadbare roster, especially on defense, Most people here thought we'd be destroyed by both the Saints and Pats and for good reason - many of our starters and guys getting big minutes are NFL backups, or should be.....but despite that, I'm seeing is a team that's getting better. That's coaching.

I've read from multiple sources that the Giants would have been able to run an additional 40 seconds off the clock. Sorry dude, I get what you're saying in some respects, but you're incorrect. And plus, if the point is scoring touchdowns, a pitch to the outside if they are stacking the box stands just as much of a chance, if not more so, than an errant Manning second down throwaway, or a Manning scramble and slide.

For example:

http://nyg.247sports.com/Bolt/Poor-clock-management-again-curses-New-York-Giants-41129256

"Had the Giants rushed on that first down play and forced that timeout, then New England would not have been able to stop the clock following New York’s third down play. All things remaining the same, and even had the Giants not scored the touchdown, the Patriots would have taken possession with only 1:10 left with which to work, 37 fewer seconds than they had."

Had the first down play not been a pass and incompletion to Beckham Jr, the Patriots would have been forced to burn that timeout there instead of after Manning's slide.

Exactly. You run the ball on the first two plays to make them burn the fucking time out, hell...take a goddamn kneel so you don't fumble and they'll have about 40 seconds left, if that.

Word, bro. Those decisions that aren't made make the game harder to win and that, as a coach, you have to consider and work with. Going for it on 4th down from the 36 or whatever it was and passing up a field goal when you have a kicker who has been money all season, even from outside of 50, is another example. You simply have to weigh your options and make the decisions that make the game easier to win, not the ones that make the game harder to win.

And we have many, many examples of it. Coughlin would be one of the winningest coaches in NFL history if he could simply figure out how to manage a clock and close out a game. There's a reason why it's not just this years team that has difficulty with it. And the red zone offense has always been a problem with his teams, no matter who the coordinator is...what's that about?

For a guy who used to preach being 5 minutes early to be on time, he has little use for a game clock, that's for sure.