SportsWrath

"Once-Struggling Linebacking Unit Now a Strength for Big Blue"

fishgutmartyr

Eisen story

Emmons, from article:“I mean I played off the ball a lot in Philly (where he played four seasons before coming to the Giants). Even though I was a SAM linebacker, we played a lot of off fronts or over fronts, where I was off the line. So it’s like I’m doing the same thing. It’s just on a full-time basis.

“I don’t (have a preference). I just want to win. If we can get to the Super Bowl, I don’t care if they put me at noseguard.”

Gotta love the attitude.

The article is talking about the LB corp being the strength of the D at this point. I think Osi and Strahan might disagree. How about you?

The unit is weak w/o Pierce, with him they are one of the best, for he is one of the best ;)

I agree with you. Emmons is having no luck staying on the field with us, and when he is on the field, he's workmanlike and unspectacular. Arrington? Who knows how good he'll be, or how long he'll be able to play. I'm hoping for the best, though.

Oddly enough, I think Pierce is going to help our interior line be better than what it is, just by how he calls the game.

Wouldn't it be great if Emmons lives up to the expectations that were put on him when he signed his deal with us?

I would be happy if he just stayed on the field for 16 games. When he's been on the field, he hasn't been bad, just not somebody that jumps to your attention.

Emmons health is definatley a concern.If he just stayed on the field for16 games, with Lavar and Pierce,and then Torbor and Blackburn off the bench,its definatley tops in the league. or at least upthere.

I dont care what people think, even at Strahans age, our ends are the best.

Our defense as a whole will only go as far as the secondary. Our DBs were pretty much horrible the vast majority of last year. We played the run pretty well, but against the pass we were terrible. It didn't take a rocket scientist for a offensive coordinator to realize that they needed to pass first to open us up against the run.

Our LBer depth is vastly improved with Arrington, Short, and our draft pick (Wilkinson, or something like that). Our D line is fine. I was concerned with the DT position, but with Joseph, Cofield, Robbins, and Seawright, I think we'll be okay. Again, it's going to be the secondary that will be the true test of our defense.

I agree with you. Emmons is having no luck staying on the field with us, and when he is on the field, he's workmanlike and unspectacular. Arrington? Who knows how good he'll be, or how long he'll be able to play. I'm hoping for the best, though.

Oddly enough, I think Pierce is going to help our interior line be better than what it is, just by how he calls the game.

Yeah, Emmons just needs to stay healthy - he's been nothing spectacular, but a solid and very capable player when he can stay on the field.

It's hard for me to get too excited about Arrington - reason being that he's dumber than dirt and has trouble learning new defenses. I've been a fan of his since his days at Penn State, don't get me wrong, but I just hope he can learn the defense.

Our defense as a whole will only go as far as the secondary. Our DBs were pretty much horrible the vast majority of last year. We played the run pretty well, but against the pass we were terrible. It didn't take a rocket scientist for a offensive coordinator to realize that they needed to pass first to open us up against the run.

Our LBer depth is vastly improved with Arrington, Short, and our draft pick (Wilkinson, or something like that). Our D line is fine. I was concerned with the DT position, but with Joseph, Cofield, Robbins, and Seawright, I think we'll be okay. Again, it's going to be the secondary that will be the true test of our defense.

True, bwe've made changes, acquisitions, which in my opinion were good. With Gibril and Demps, we have two young and talented Safetys. A huge upgrade over Shaun Williams and Alexander. As far as the CB's go, I believe Sam Madison can still be a threat, and either Will pete or Webster on the other side we should be fine. Granted Will Pete dont get injured again. I like McQuarters on nickel packages, decent experience there.

True, bwe've made changes, acquisitions, which in my opinion were good. With Gibril and Demps, we have two young and talented Safetys. A huge upgrade over Shaun Williams and Alexander. As far as the CB's go, I believe Sam Madison can still be a threat, and either Will pete or Webster on the other side we should be fine. Granted Will Pete dont get injured again. I like McQuarters on nickel packages, decent experience there.

Sam Madison's experience will be helpful, but I'm concerned with his showing his age. I agreed with his signing, but I think the biggest benefit will be his leadership role over guys like Webster, Deloatch, etc. I agree with Gibril and Demps being lightyears ahead of Williams and Alexander. And I'll agree further that I like McQuarters as a 3rd CB. All the moves look good on paper, but until the unit plays, I'll still be concerned, given the overhaul. Changing one spot isn't a big deal, but to only bring back two starters in the whole unit (Gibril & Webster) forces the unit to have to gel, which can take time. I guess I'm just being cautiously optimistic.

By the way, Will Peterson is gone and isn't coming back. That info was released a few weeks back. Shame, because I liked the guy a lot, but injuries killed his career.

Sam Madison's experience will be helpful, but I'm concerned with his showing his age. I agreed with his signing, but I think the biggest benefit will be his leadership role over guys like Webster, Deloatch, etc. I agree with Gibril and Demps being lightyears ahead of Williams and Alexander. And I'll agree further that I like McQuarters as a 3rd CB. All the moves look good on paper, but until the unit plays, I'll still be concerned, given the overhaul. Changing one spot isn't a big deal, but to only bring back two starters in the whole unit (Gibril & Webster) forces the unit to have to gel, which can take time. I guess I'm just being cautiously optimistic.

By the way, Will Peterson is gone and isn't coming back. That info was released a few weeks back. Shame, because I liked the guy a lot, but injuries killed his career.

True, about only bringing back 2 starters. Might be tough to gel quickly. Esp.with Webster being in his 2nd year.

Will Pete is gone???? :confused: I've been away for awhile, but I tried to check news regularly.I guess Imissed that one! :o I liked him too,but youre right, too many injuries.