SportsWrath

What does this mean for the development of Justin Tuck?

Goliath

Threads and posts about Kiwi have convinced me to not commit suicide but just become disgruntled and support Kiwi, especially Hound's thread. I'm still bitter but it's over so live and let live.

I'm wondering how this affects the development for the rising star Justin Tuck. We all assumed that he would be the successor to Strahan but with Kiwi, well they both can't be DEs with Osi Umenyiora in the picture. Neither seem like OLB and why would we need one of them to play OLB when we have Wilkinson backing up Arrington in case of an injury. Blackburn backing up Pierce. And Torbor the successor to Emmons. And William Joseph is not a 3-4 DT.

So can anyone make a prediction as to what will happen?

Threads and posts about Kiwi have convinced me to not commit suicide but just become disgruntled and support Kiwi, especially Hound's thread. I'm still bitter but it's over so live and let live.

I'm wondering how this affects the development for the rising star Justin Tuck. We all assumed that he would be the successor to Strahan but with Kiwi, well they both can't be DEs with Osi Umenyiora in the picture. Neither seem like OLB and why would we need one of them to play OLB when we have Wilkinson backing up Arrington in case of an injury. Blackburn backing up Pierce. And Torbor the successor to Emmons. And William Joseph is not a 3-4 DT.

So can anyone make a prediction as to what will happen?

I think Tuck continues to develop in his role as a 3rd down pass rusher and will see continued playing time in that role. He also may see some DT time in 3rd and longs and passing situations. He may also spell Strahan from time to time as Mike gets a tad older and may need to be preserved(especially early in games).

Nothing changes for Tuck.

Guest Floyd The Barber

its ridiculous...and too think you can never have enough pass rushers is even more ridiculous...

yes, it is great to have the ability to pass rush from multiple spots, but it would be nice if it came from various positions not all the same spot !!!

how many DE's/OLB's can actually be on the field at once ?? are you deploying a never seen before defense ??

we now have about 5/7 of these hybrid type players...

in reality only 2 see the field at a time...

Ernie is clueless, and his statements get worse and worse each time he addresses the media...

Guest nosebleed

Maybe during passing situations, Lewis will have Osi, Strahan, the new chump, Moore, Torbor, Arrington all in the linebacker position, Tuck lined up as a corner. Why even have corners on the field is what Uncle Ernie Olaf is saying......

Guest Floyd The Barber

we run a 4-3 base...

i dont see where all these pass rushers come into play...you still need your traditional tackles and ends...EA is a retard..."You can never have enough pass rushers"

does you a ton of good when 6 out of 8 can not get on the field bc of personnel...not to mention 2 are all pro's and demand 99% of the snaps...

Guest nosebleed
we run a 4-3 base...

i dont see where all these pass rushers come into play...you still need your traditional tackles and ends...EA is a retard..."You can never have enough pass rushers"

does you a ton of good when 6 out of 8 can not get on the field bc of personnel...not to mention 2 are all pro's and demand 99% of the snaps...

There was a good looking linebacker waiting to wear blue, but Uncle Ernie Olaf blew it again.

we run a 4-3 base...

maybe during the season you shoudl switch over to HBO or stars or somthing...

You could watch pollyanna or some cartoon, that would better suite your analysis..

Personally, I thought we would have been better of drafting Jimmy Williams. Our secondary was our biggest problem last year, Williams would be a huge upgrade at either safety or CB.

I am not totally upset with Kiwanuka, he does have good physical tools.

I guess the front office sees stuff that most of us didn't see (not surprising considering the Boston College connections the Giants have). One thing is certain, the Giants know exactly what kind of player they are getting.

The Giants have done very well at drafting under-rated DEs, including Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. They certainly know what it takes to be a stud DE.

It will be interesting to see how Kiwanuka develops, he could be a real surprise

No one here knows for sure, no matter how realistic it sounds with Tuck. We will have some crazyass schemes on defense this year, schemes probably most of us haven't seen the Giants run.

I expect at least a 5-2 on passing downs...

With Tuck and Kiwanuka, we will have a quality pass rush for the future.

As far as this season goes, in long passing situations, we could well have a dime package consisting of something like:

LDE: Matthias Kiwanuka

LDT: Michael Strahan

RDT: Justin Tuck

RDE: Osi Umenyiora

LB: Antonio Pierce

CB: Sam Madison, Corey Webster, RW McQuarters, Curtis Deloatch

S: Gibril Wilson, Willie Demps

That is a pretty formidable pass rush from the Dline, it would certainly help our DBs

With Tuck and Kiwanuka, we will have a quality pass rush for the future.

As far as this season goes, in long passing situations, we could well have a dime package consisting of something like:

LDE: Matthias Kiwanuka

LDT: Michael Strahan

RDT: Justin Tuck

RDE: Osi Umenyiora

LB: Antonio Pierce

CB: Sam Madison, Corey Webster, RW McQuarters, Curtis Deloatch

S: Gibril Wilson, Willie Demps

That is a pretty formidable pass rush from the Dline, it would certainly help our DBs

Why would we move arguably one of the best pass rushers in NFL history to DT, a position he's never played? If anything, spread the line out and get Willie J in the middle with 4 rushers to the outside.

Why would we move arguably one of the best pass rushers in NFL history to DT, a position he's never played? If anything, spread the line out and get Willie J in the middle with 4 rushers to the outside.

One thing Strahan does not have is speed. He does have great technique and strength. Kiwanuka has the quickness to exploit the outside.

In these situations, teams will often be in 3 and 4 WR sets, quickness off the edge is important

In previous years Strahan has played DT in some pass rushing situations, just like Tuck last season.

If you can get 4 quality passrushers, it will cause problems for the offense - you can't double team Strahan and Umenyiora. Someone will get to the QB

One thing Strahan does not have is speed. He does have great technique and strength. Kiwanuka has the quickness to exploit the outside.

In these situations, teams will often be in 3 and 4 WR sets, quickness off the edge is important

In previous years Strahan has played DT in some pass rushing situations, just like Tuck last season.

If you can get 4 quality passrushers, it will cause problems for the offense - you can't double team Strahan and Umenyiora. Someone will get to the QB

Wake up, Strahan may be 34, but he still has speed and even lost 15 pounds to preserve it. Mike has become a complete pass rusher, but one thing and as was always his thing is he has speed.

ya9hn.png

That pic was what I was referring to for our defensive setup on passing downs such as third and 11. Excuse the horrible looking pic because I made it in paint within 5 minutes. Basically on the defensive side of the ball, O stands for Osi, who plays outside, T for Tuck plays relatively inside of Osi because he has more experience on the inside, W for Joseph plays the middle, and the two outside guys can be put in either spot. I don't think you can go wrong where you put those two.

L stands for Lavar who can play virtually anywhere along with A for Pierce.

I think this order for the d-line can work in multiple ways, not just the way I put it.