SportsWrath

After sleeping on it, here's what I think about the first day of the draft.

Sephiroth

Daniel Jones? Yeah, still a horrible pick. Like, franchise-breaking horrible.

There are any number of scenarios that would have been better than taking Jones at #6. Take arguably the best pass rusher in the draft. Trade down and get an extra pick or two. Take Josh Allen and trade for Josh Rosen. Take Dwayne Haskins. Draft Sam Darnold last year. Draft Drew Lock. Literally any of these (or some combination of them) would have been better.

Instead, I'm not quite sure what we got in return. With some sure things on the board, we got... a guy without all the necessary skills that was OK with a good QB coach? That maybe can get a little better... I haven't heard anybody say he's a "high ceiling" player? A guy who REALLY threw the ball well in shorts? Someone that with some development, might reach Alex Smith-like potential... I like Alex Smith as a player, but I wouldn't take him with the 6th overall pick when there's a Javon-Kearse type on the board to grab... and honestly, I see a lot more Andy Dalton than Alex Smith.

The Dexter Lawrence Pick was OK, but I don't know why you trade the best receiver in football to draft a run-stuffing DT when you already had the best one (but traded him for a fifth) and then have two other above-average ones on the roster... and you have no pass rush.

I like the Deandre Baker pick. I think he comes in and starts right away, I like his skill set... think he'll be a good one for us. Finally we get something right.

So yeah, at the end of the day, what would you rather have as your starters moving forward?

Sam Darnold, Odell Beckham, Josh Allen?

Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley, Dexter Lawrence?

To me it's a pretty easy decision. We're gonna suck for a LONG time, fellas. We have to face the possibility that this front office might somehow be worse than the one it replaced...

I got up early this morning livid at last nights draft... Jones isnt worthy of #6... not even 17... when you have Josh Allen in front of you, you dont get too fucking cute...

Then there are far bigger needs than DT....

The Barkley pick last year was a no brainer... Last nights blunder was brainless.

I guess if youre convinced that Jones sucks its an easy decision. Personally I think the jury is still WAY out on darnold let alone jones

I dont care about Darnold.... Saquon is a super star... its last nights bullshit that has me upset.

I think the only qb who showed that hes definitely a star last year is mayfield. Everyone else is still wait and see. I was never super high on taking a rb #2 overall but so far Ive seen nothing from darnold, Rosen or Allen that has me thinking we should be kicking ourselves for choosing Barkley over them

I guess if youre convinced that Jones sucks its an easy decision. Personally I think the jury is still WAY out on darnold let alone jones

Multiple sources saying Redskins were torn between Haskins and Jones, too. Some talk of the Skins actually trading up past the Giants to take Jones, too.

Personally, I think he was a great QB in a shitty college program.

If they hadnt drafted a Jones at 6 and the Redskins took Jones at 15, everyone would criticize the team for not addressing the QB position so I dont really take any of these takes very seriously. Everyone would be pissed if they hadnt taken a QB, too.

Multiple sources saying Redskins were torn between Haskins and Jones, too. Some talk of the Skins actually trading up past the Giants to take Jones, too.

Personally, I think he was a great QB in a shitty college program.

Right, if they really loved Haskins they wouldve traded up to at least the broncos pick for him. They prob figured they were getting whoever we didnt take because a lot of teams werent dying for a qb.

I think Alex Smith is a great comp for Jones. Very similar measurables, both with noodle arms for a guy their size. Not happy. I get it, but I'm not happy about it. This whole, 'oh he elevated a bad college team', no.... no he did not. Look at Duke's records year by year.... they were better immediately BEFORE Jones played. His per play stats were unbelievably bad for a major conference, 1st round pick QB. And never, ever, in the history of anything, has a QB gone to the pros and improved upon their per play college stats. Smart money says this doesn't go well, but.... we're all Daniel Jones fans now. FUCK. Okay. Moving on.

On the bright side, Dexter Lawrence is a hell of a player, I think he'll win Giants fans over. He's not a pass rusher, but he'll offer more there than most people expect. He had something like ten sacks in college from the nose, pretty damn good.

Love the cornerback pick, super productive player. Baker is going to be a quality pro.

The day after.

I love the Baker pick, best CB in the Draft to many pundits just didn't have a great combine. Highly productive and a day one starter outside or in the slot.

Lawrence is an athletic freak for a kid his size, can't rush the passer worth a damn but with come coaching I'm sure he'll be fine. I fully expect the Giants to let Tomlinson walk in the next or get traded now.

The Jones pick filled a need, we didn't ha r a quality back up and no replacement for Eli. When people talk about a Eli they say "the Giants went and got their kid, even though they could of stayed put and stuck with Rivers"

Well the Giants went and got their kid in Jones, and I bELIeve in the coaching staff to be able to work the kid into a franchise QB. II like his mobility and accuracy inside 30 yards, doesn't have a cannon and his long ball sails on him, but things that can be worked on.

All in all I feel better about the first round the day after.

I still would of liked one of the DEs since early literally have no one on the team wwho's proven they can get after the QB reliably.

But still I'll take this Draft over not having Barkley and rolling into the year with Darnold and Allen let's say.

If they hadnt drafted a Jones at 6 and the Redskins took Jones at 15, everyone would criticize the team for not addressing the QB position so I dont really take any of these takes very seriously. Everyone would be pissed if they hadnt taken a QB, too.

Some of us were ok with addressing other needs and kicking the can for another year on a QB.

The media is a complete joke regarding the draft. They watch some YouTube clips, read some surface level reports and then set the mock draft market with their articles, then they buy into their own bs and start calling stuff a reach.

I have similar sentiments Seph. The Jones pick is very puzzling when 1) he is the 5th rated QB according to PFF, 2) we likely could have gotten him or another QB later, 3) we passed on a highly rated pass rusher when we definitely need a pass rush.

The draft haul would have been much better if it were;

Allen

Lawrence

Baker

But that's cause I don't love these qbs and like the idea of loading up on defense.

I'm also wondering why Baker over Greedy, but I think Baker will be a good player.

I have similar sentiments Seph. The Jones pick is very puzzling when 1) he is the 5th rated QB according to PFF, 2) we likely could have gotten him or another QB later, 3) we passed on a highly rated pass rusher when we definitely need a pass rush.

Allen

Lawrence

Baker

But that's cause I don't love these qbs and like the idea of loading up on defense.

I'm also wondering why Baker over Greedy, but I think Baker will be a good player.

I like Baker over Greedy, Baker is ready to start day one, Greedy needs a few years in the slot to get to the level that Baker is at.

.. I like Alex Smith as a player, but I wouldn't take him with the 6th overall pick

I think Alex Smith is a great comp for Jones. Very similar measurables,

Well since Alex Smith was the first overall pick in the 2005 draft ......maybe getting Jones at #6 is not such a disaster if he turns out to have similar qualities.

i still think it was a bit of a reach by DG .......but maybe he is indeed the next Eli ......and i would take that

Allen

Lawrence

Baker

I've been doing my Daniel Jones homework since he suddenly shot up draft boards a few months ago, but everything I've come up with is the same.

- wasn't super productive in college

- didn't elevate teammates around him

- didn't really impress at Senior Bowl practices

- physically limited

- was the Christian Hackenburg/Josh Allen (QB) type who mysteriously shot up draft boards for what appears to be no good reason

- not much upside, is pretty much what he's going to be

As for what I've been basing this on, I've watched a little over an hour of video (not a lot I know)... kid doesn't pass the eye test. Also some of this:

Here is his passable catch chart.

Why Daniel Jones shouldn't be drafted in the first round.

BBV - Jones "does not have much there." Pretty in-depth article about why this kid doesn't have it.

PFF notes on Daniel Jones

BBK podcasts every day, and some other stuff that others' have already posted.

Honestly guys, none of this is encouraging. By almost any metric, this is a really, REALLY bad pick. I'm not a professional scout, but Giants aside, many more people who do this for a living don't like the guy than think he's going to turn into an all-pro.

And for the record, can we please stop with the "well, Tom Brady wasn't highly regarded either" crap? It sometimes rains frogs during a thunderstorm; that doesn't mean the next thunderstorm is going to rain frogs. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about all of this and will root for the guy like a madman but I have zero confidence this is going to work out, or that he'll be a better player than Josh Allen (DE).

If you guys need more proof... Getty has said that "fell in love with Daniel Jones after watching his first three series at the Senior Bowl."

His first series at the Senior Bowl starts at 6:45. You guys tell me... do you fall in love with Daniel Jones here? Forget about All-Pro or Pro Bowl stuff.... do you see a competent NFL starter here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095fXM7S3HU

If you guys need more proof... Getty has said that "fell in love with Daniel Jones after watching his first three series at the Senior Bowl."

His first series at the Senior Bowl starts at 6:45. You guys tell me... do you fall in love with Daniel Jones here? Forget about All-Pro or Pro Bowl stuff.... do you see a competent NFL starter here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095fXM7S3HU

he looked better than the other 3 QB's playing for the North Team

The Jones pick isnt bad if the team believes that was their guy. Grabbing a second nose tackle is ridiculous though.

I'd have no issue with Jones if they took Allen at #6 and Jones at #17. We have no pass rushers.

I can't wrap my head around trading Snacks for a 5th then essentially trading OBJ for Snacks' replacement. It's like we lost twice.