SportsWrath

Devon Kennard might start at linebacker as a rookie

JMFP

Warning: I came in my pants when I read this.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/devon-kennard-is-thick-can-hit-and-run-and-may-start-for-giants-1.8880793

Coaches are usually reluctant to compare young players to established ones because it can set lofty and unattainable goals. But Giants linebackers coach Jim Herrmann picked out a doozie when he wanted to make a point about the possibility of rookie Devon Kennard starting for the team.

"Pittsburgh, I think, started Jack Lambert right away," Herrmann said on Wednesday. "He turned out pretty good. So if he can handle it, and get everyone lined up and understand the nuances and where he belongs, he's a pretty thick kid, he can hit people, so that's good."

It's easy to see some of the things the Giants like about Kennard. He is big (6-3, 251) and fast and hits hard. He has stood out on the field through two training camp practices while running with the first team.

"He's a man," Herrmann said. "He has a thick dude body."

But the part that really has the Giants drooling is that part that doesn't flash on the field but in the meeting rooms. Kennard is catching onto the defense quickly, and the Giants seem to think that he would not have a problem stepping into that immediate starting role. He might even be groomed as the middle linebacker in case Jon Beason's recovery from a foot injury is slowed or Jameel McClain's foot injury continues to be an issue.

"I want to continue to show, one, that I can pick it up because the first thing is I have to be able to make the right call, close in correctly and make the calls and all of the adjustments," Kennard said. "I don't think I've done anything yet. This is just day two of camp. I did OK during OTAs and minicamp but I'm continually trying to show them what I can do and bring to the table."

The Giants drafted Kennard in the fifth round, but Herrmann said that's a misrepresentation.

"He played at USC and he played under four different coordinators, and played four different positions, so I think he kind of got lost in the college shuffle a little bit there," Herrmann said. "Again, we've got to go out and see him in live games, but based on what you see of him on film, he's not going to shy away from [the physical] part of the game. He's not going to shy away from the game, he's calm, cool, and collected. It's the speed of the game, and we'll see how he plays. But based on what we do out here, I don't think he's going to have a problem."

Jack Lambert didn't.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/07/24/rookie-mlb-kennard-making-early-impact/13084071/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — Jon Beason turned around the New York Giants' defense last season. Jameel McClain was signed as a free agent in March.

Not much room on the roster at middle linebacker for a fifth-round pick out of Southern California. So Derrick Kennard is making room.

Kennard impressed the coaching staff during offseason workouts and minicamp. He is doing the same early in training camp, with Beason recovering from a broken bone in his right foot, and McClain slowed by a left foot issue.

"I liked him on film; obviously our college scouting liked him on film," linebackers coach Jim Herrmann said Wednesday. "He played at USC and he played under four different coordinators, and played four different positions, so I think he kind of got lost in the college shuffle a little bit there.

"Again, we've got to go out and see him in live games, but based on what you see of him on film, he's not going to shy away from the game. He's calm, cool, and collected. It's the speed of the game, and we'll see how he plays. Based on what we do out here, I don't think he's going to have a problem."

About an hour later, as Herrmann was running the linebackers through positioning drills, he bombarded Kennard with questions. The rookie shot back the answers, and the group moved on to other tasks.

Picking up a pro defense, particularly for a linebacker who only sometimes has played in the middle, is a major challenge. Kennard has been practicing at strong side LB as well as in the middle.

And he knows just making the team is a huge hurdle to clear, particularly as the 174th overall choice.

Kennard has been anything but intimidated.

"The impression I want to make is that I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help this team win and get back to the championship level that the Giants organization wants to be at," Kennard said. "I'm continuing to try to show that every day with the way that I work, with my selflessness for the team, and the effort I give in trying to be the best."

Kennard believes his best trait is versatility. Yet if Beason isn't ready for the opener in Detroit on Sept. 8, and McClain can't stay healthy — or can't beat out the rookie — Kennard could find himself with one position: middle linebacker.

"I want to continue to show that I can pick it up," he said, "because the first thing is I have to be able to make the right call, close in correctly and make the calls and all of the adjustments. And then with my playmaking and what I can do to help the team. I don't think I've done anything yet. This is just Day 2 of camp. I did OK during OTAs and minicamp, but I'm continually trying to show them what I can do."

Kennard looks like he can do many things, from rushing the quarterback to covering in the passing game to stuffing the run. He'll get a long look in the preseason games, which begin on Aug. 3 with the Hall of Fame game against Buffalo.

Herrmann is eager to see how Kennard handles those tests.

"That's why you play preseason games," Herrmann said. "We'll find out a lot about him, but he played at USC, which is pretty good football, so he'll probably have a pretty good idea."

The Giants have no idea when Beason will be ready. They acquired him from Carolina last October, and the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker had 98 tackles after joining the team in the sixth game — New York's sixth straight loss. The defense finished eighth in the NFL overall after being near the bottom, and the Giants won seven of their last 10 games.

Herrmann likes the look of his linebacking corps, especially when Beason comes back.

"I think as a whole, the group is very flexible," he said. "We all understand that we have to be able to play multiple positions. There's only 46 uniforms given out on Sunday."

The way it looks so far, Kennard will be in one of them

Not sure how versatile the guy is.....perhaps he pushes Herzlich, Paysinger, or JWill for reps.

It's possible, but the spot he's 'starting' at right now is Mclains spot while McClain is starting for Beason. From what I've read he's practiced there and at middle.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/37292/overreacting-to-giants-first-depth-chart

"....Rookie linebacker Devon Kennard, whom we discussed Wednesday as a quick study, is listed as the starting strongside linebacker, with Jameel McClain in the middle in place of the injured Jon Beason. McClain could move back to the strong side when Beason returns, but Kennard has a chance for significant playing time as a rookie based on what he's shown so far. It wouldn't be a shock to see him hold on to the starting job. Jacquian Williams is listed ahead of Spencer Paysinger as the starter on the weak side....."

Man, with all these new faces.....this is going to be more exciting this year. we may not do too well, but that's fine because it was time for a new era anyway. One thing about NY, they may have some DUD years.....but they have gave us what we want as fans.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!

One player every Giants fan should get to know

Dan Salomone Staff Writer

Giants fans know their linebackers, and they have to like what they’re seeing from rookie Devon Kennard.

Due to middle linebacker Jon Beason (foot) currently being on the physically unable to perform list, a door opened for Kennard to see the field this summer. And he’s run right through it.

The fifth-round draft choice and USC product has stood out in a busy training camp with big hits and quality play, drawing the attention of teammates and coaches.

“I think Kennard is very smart,” said linebacker Jameel McClain, who signed with the Giants this offseason after six seasons with the Baltimore Ravens. “I think he is very smart and physical. I am excited about him. I have seen a lot of good rookies, and he is definitely one of the most impressive young guys that I have seen maturity-wise and professionalism. I gave him a lot of compliments in that one sentence. I usually don’t do that much.”

Head coach Tom Coughlin has seen the same.

“Yeah, he’s had some good practices here,” Coughlin said after Sunday’s practice in full pads. “He has roles on special teams and playing defense. He’s getting a lot of work and attention. He’s here every day and that’s a good thing.”

Man, with all these new faces.....this is going to be more exciting this year. we may not do too well, but that's fine because it was time for a new era anyway. One thing about NY, they may have some DUD years.....but they have gave us what we want as fans.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!

I think the Giants are long overdue to hit on a rookie linebacker. Hoping Kennard is that guy.