SportsWrath

Giants re-sign free agent tight end Matt LaCosse

Mr. P

As the Giants search for an answer at tight end, a possible solution could have been on injured reserve all last season.

The Giants will give Matt LaCosse the opportunity to compete for the starting tight end job after re-signing the exclusive rights free agent (ERFA) on Monday, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. It was a no-brainer to bring LaCosse back on a one-year contract for the minimum salary of $465,000. The re-signing was first reported by ESPN.

Giants TE overview

LaCosse was in the mix at tight end last offseason, but he suffered a knee injury in the preseason that sidelined him for the entire season. LaCosse remained at the Giants' facility all season to rehabilitate his knee and attend meetings. He will be fully healthy to compete for a wide-open tight end spot this offseason.

There was little chance of LaCosse, 24, leaving the Giants due to his ERFA designation. ERFA's are players with two or less seasons in the league. Once an ERFA player is tendered, he can only negotiate with his former team. The tender is a one-year minimum salary contract.

ERFA's are typically undrafted free agents. LaCosse signed with the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2015 out of Illinois.

Tight en overview

Tight en overview

LaCosse was waived by the Giants after injuring his hamstring in the first practice of training camp in 2015. The 6-foot-6, 261-pounder signed with the Giants' practice squad in November of 2015 and caught three passes for 22 yards in the final two games of the season.

LaCosse earned first-team reps at the start of training camp last season, but he suffered a knee injury that required surgery in August.

The Giants got little production from their tight ends last season. Larry Donnell was benched midway through the season and reportedly will not be re-signed. LaCosse will join Jerell Adams, a sixth-round pick in 2016, and Will Tye, who should also return as ERFA. The Giants are expected to seek an upgrade at tight end in free agency or the draft.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/02/giants_re-sign_free_agent_tight_end_matt_lacosse.html

Eli has never consistently had a great TE; maybe Shockey and Bennett, but those were short-lived.

I'd be interested to see what Eli can do if he had a very good tight end. I think it would open up a new dimensions to this offense. For instance it might force defenses to pull safeties away from Beckham's, or make a very difficult decision to put an LB only on the TE.

Lacosse is wishful thinking though. The draft seems to be pretty deep in tight ends this year. Guys like Howard, Hodges, Njoku might be first round worthy. Other decent ones might be available in the second or third rounds. Assuming we address OL needs in FA, this could be an option.

Assuming we sign some OLs this free agency, I'd love to see us take RB Christian McCafferey and TE Bucky Hodges in the 1st and 2nd respectively. That could throw opposing defenses way off balance. Both of the guys can play in traditional sets, and can also be split out in spread formations.

Assuming we sign some OLs this free agency, I'd love to see us take RB Christian McCafferey and TE Bucky Hodges in the 1st and 2nd respectively. That could throw opposing defenses way off balance. Both of the guys can play in traditional sets, and can also be split out in spread formations.

McCaffery in the first?

I don't understand the fascination with the guy, he doesnt look like anything more then a situational/return type of player.

Plus if the Gints dont draft OL/DL in the first round I think they can expect another season of the offence stalling and the defense allowing the opposing QB 15 seconds to throw.

McCaffery in the first?

I don't understand the fascination with the guy, he doesnt look like anything more then a situational/return type of player.

Plus if the Gints dont draft OL/DL in the first round I think they can expect another season of the offence stalling and the defense allowing the opposing QB 15 seconds to throw.

He can run between the tackles just as well as anyone, also has great agility in open space, can pass block, great hands, can be split out wide, can run screens etc. Two words: Matchup Problems; an LB if not a S is going to have to consistently be assigned to him, or else possibly get burned. This takes the pressure off other elements of our offense.

He's going to be the type in the NFL that gets 250-300 total touches per year (rushes and catches), and puts up 1,000 yards+ from scrimmage consistently. Fits nicely for a #23 pick.

He can run between the tackles just as well as anyone, also has great agility in open space, can pass block, great hands, can be split out wide, can run screens etc. Two words: Matchup Problems; an LB if not a S is going to have to consistently be assigned to him, or else possibly get burned. This takes the pressure off other elements of our offense.

He's going to be the type in the NFL that gets 250-300 total touches per year (rushes and catches), and puts up 1,000 yards+ from scrimmage consistently. Fits nicely for a #23 pick.

You're probably right, it just seems like the kid is running through truck sized holes on every video you see of him, which isnt what the Gints do.

Go get some Oline which is needed horribly on this team, then it doesnt matter who is running the ball.

I just dont want the Gints to waste a first round pick on a RB who isnt going to do much besides having to avoid tacklers in his face every snap.

You're probably right, it just seems like the kid is running through truck sized holes on every video you see of him, which isnt what the Gints do.

Go get some Oline which is needed horribly on this team, then it doesnt matter who is running the ball.

I just dont want the Gints to waste a first round pick on a RB who isnt going to do much besides having to avoid tacklers in his face every snap.

I agree. First need a capable OL before thinking about an RB.

I agree. First need a capable OL before thinking about an RB.

I think this draft is really going to tell where the Gints are going in the next number of years.

I mean with guys like Cutler, Rapistburger, whoever contemplating retirement, I wonder if the Gints are going to start thinking of the post Eli era.

Eli has got to be thinking about the condition of the Oline and his health, I mean one bad hit and he could be walking the Forest Gump the rest of his life.

Do the Gints go and fix the Oline and load the offense with weapons in FA/Draft trying to get another miracle playoff run out of Eli?

Or are they going to start taking the "long game" and putting pieces in place for Eli's successor to walk into a well developed team like the Steelers did with Rapistburger, the Cowboys were set up with Dak, Seattle with Wilson, etc.

I think this draft is really going to tell where the Gints are going in the next number of years.

I mean with guys like Cutler, Rapistburger, whoever contemplating retirement, I wonder if the Gints are going to start thinking of the post Eli era.

Eli has got to be thinking about the condition of the Oline and his health, I mean one bad hit and he could be walking the Forest Gump the rest of his life.

Do the Gints go and fix the Oline and load the offense with weapons in FA/Draft trying to get another miracle playoff run out of Eli?

Or are they going to start taking the "long game" and putting pieces in place for Eli's successor to walk into a well developed team like the Steelers did with Rapistburger, the Cowboys were set up with Dak, Seattle with Wilson, etc.

Given the VERY average ability of Richburg and Pugh, and uncertainty of possibly moving Flowers to RG or RT, plus the fact that we have practically only three functional offensive lineman currently on the roster, I really hope and expect we address much of this gap through free agency. We need to bring in at least two OL in free agency.

How about Okung and Ziegler?

FA Guard is deep this year. Hopefully we'LL take advantage

Yes, I'd say it's vital to bring in a RG rather than an RT through free agency, and assume Flowers can move to RT. In other words, a RG will be easier to find in FA than an RT.

The LT position is still a glaring hole, and this draft is not deep at OL in general. Plus, I'm not sure we want to go into the season with a rookie LT. We need a veteran at the position, particularly considering Flowers on the other tackle side will be learning.

• 2 weeks later...

Patriots just got Dwayne Allen for a song:

The Colts are set to trade tight end Dwayne Allen to New England, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the prospective deal. The Colts will receive a fourth-round pick in exchange for the tight end, while the Patriots get Allen and a sixth-round pick.