SportsWrath

Giants Gearing Up To Sign JPP?

Gman329

This from Rotoworld.....

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Giants will "make a legitimate run" at impending free agent DE Jason Pierre-Paul "in the coming days and weeks."

"They will try and get a deal done before he can potentially hit the free agent market," Garafolo continued. The Giants created $10 million in cap space by cutting Victor Cruz and Rashad Jennings on Monday, and they can create even more by getting rid of J.T. Thomas and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The Giants have already invested a significant chunk of cap space in a defensive line which boasts big-money free agents Olivier Vernon and Damon Harrison, but they should have the money to re-sign JPP if they so choose.
Source: NFL.com
Feb 13 - 10:25 PM

It would be a huge mistake to hand Jason Pierre Paul a contract in the neighborhood of $60 million or more. It would be a mistake to give Jonathan Hankins the contract we should have given Linval Joseph. Jonathan Hankins has had one good season and is replaceable.

Really hope the Giants aren't dumb enough to cut or trade Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. I think his market value should be determined next year and re-signed pending health during the 2017 season.

JPP is going to command at least 16-18 million per year. Probably in the 5 years 80 million range. I don't think he's worth it. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy, and he's a shade of his former self.

I don't think either of those statements are true. It is simply too much money to invest on the defensive line when we really need help at other positions on the defense as well as on offensive.

JPP is going to command at least 16-18 million per year. Probably in the 5 years 80 million range. I don't think he's worth it. He hasn't proven he can stay healthy, and he's a shade of his former self.

I think when he's healthy, he's a top-5 DE... but again, he's going to miss six games a season every year.

I think when he's healthy, he's a top-5 DE... but again, he's going to miss six games a season every year.

I honestly don't see him as top 5 even when healthy... just because have nobody behind him, this makes him look that much better. Watch the Giants go DE in the 1st round.

That's a big IF though...plus when healthy, I'm not so sure he's really anything to covet, given that we have money tied up in Vernon and elsewhere. If you project out what his sack totals 7.0 would have been IF he had stayed healthy, we're talking 9 - 9.5. In terms of sack leaders, that places him around ~#17 - 20 among all leaders.

Tough call on JPP. The guy is still a force, absolutely dominating a few games and he makes Vernon even more dangerous on the other side. But with Okwara and Odiggy showing a lot of potential, you don't go $15+M per year for four or five years. If you can get him closer to $10M, I think I'd do it.

Tough call on JPP. The guy is still a force, absolutely dominating a few games and he makes Vernon even more dangerous on the other side. But with Okwara and Odiggy showing a lot of potential, you don't go $15+M per year for four or five years. If you can get him closer to $10M, I think I'd do it.

I'm on board if he's willing to come down to $10-12mm.

When did OO show some potential?

This.

Vernon is clearly the best Dline player on the team but JPP is an easy second by far.

However I don't think JPP is 15-20 million a season type of a player.

I think in all honesty he should be signed on to a 8-9 million a year type of thing.

Anything more I say let him walk and draft one of the crazy talented DEs in this years draft in round one.