SportsWrath

Owa walking away?

Sephiroth

Because they pulled out 2 super bowls by miraculous magic? With the exception of the Colts, those other teams are quality year after year. That's what a GM does, not will divine intervention.

LOL you really can call it anything you want and the result is the same. I think every team has put in for some divine intervention on their behalf.

What exactly is it you want besides super bowl wins? Years of double digit wins? Playoffs every year? All of the Above?

Only difference I've seen from a third rounder to a seventh rounder is contract length and cost. We have had good players come from both rounds.

Giants draft players by consensus, the decision isn't made by one person. So when the Giants get it wrong or right it is a group decision. Take a good look at the last ten years concerning the Super Bowl:

Giants have 2 wins and 2 appearances.

Patriots have 2 wins and 4 appearances.

Colts have 1 wins and 2 appearances.

Steelers have 1 win and 2 appearances.

Packers have 1 win and 2 appearances.

Seahawks have 1 win and 2 appearances.

I can easily make the case that Jerry Reese should be in the top ten instead of the bottom five.

The contract lengths are all standard now regardless of round so your first sentance makes no sense.

The contract lengths are all standard now regardless of round so your first sentance makes no sense.

No their not.

You just cant offer a drafted player anything longer than a four year contract with a fifth year option.

The amount you give a rookie is standardized now though.

No their not.

You just cant offer a drafted player anything longer than a four year contract with a fifth year option.

The amount you give a rookie is standardized now though.

The fifth year option is only for first rounders. All other draftees get 4 year contracts.

They're all given four year contracts

Oh you're half right, the third rounder and seventh rounder are not given the one year option, just the first.

Are you ignoring the fifth year option or do you think it is not worth mentioning? That option belongs to the team not the player.

Either way, those in earlier rounds on average have a higher success rate and last longer in the league, per Tree's earlier post.

It is hoped so but not a guarantee. As far Tree I'd like to point out he is not an American so clearly untrustworthy in every facet. :P

In any case, at best Jerry Reese is below average in the third round, and worst he may be in the bottom five-ten GMs.

I think he's an okay GM overall...but nothing special.

I'm saying there's not a strong statistical argument for saying he's is better or worse. That leaves you with subjective rankings only.

I'm saying there's not a strong statistical argument for saying he's is better or worse. That leaves you with subjective rankings only.

Your own figures demonstrated he's at least below average in that round. I'd be interested to see what percentile he's in...probably bottom third or quarter of GMs. And I count Jayron Hosley in there...nobody is picking that guy up, even for the practice squad, and he was off our roster last year.

LOL you really can call it anything you want and the result is the same. I think every team has put in for some divine intervention on their behalf.

What exactly is it you want besides super bowl wins? Years of double digit wins? Playoffs every year? All of the Above?

The question at hand isn't my satisfaction, it's how do you rate a GM- I think it's by quality years. he needs to give the head coach the tools to get close. Reese hasn't always done that..

The question at hand isn't my satisfaction, it's how do you rate a GM- I think it's by quality years. he needs to give the head coach the tools to get close. Reese hasn't always done that..

Once again it is a consensus when it comes to drafting players for the New York Giants. Jerry Reese isn't the only one who gets it wrong when a player does not develop to expectations. The decision to draft a player isn't made without the input of the head coach and staff. So when the Giants drafted Marvin Austin he failed everyone. A player's years in the NFL is very hard to determine because injuries are a factor in that equation.

Once again it is a consensus when it comes to drafting players for the New York Giants. Jerry Reese isn't the only one who gets it wrong when a player does not develop to expectations. The decision to draft a player isn't made without the input of the head coach and staff. So when the Giants drafted Marvin Austin he failed everyone. A player's years in the NFL is very hard to determine because injuries are a factor in that equation.

The buck stops at the top. Ultimately, he's responsible. It's called the "Tough Shit" rule. If something bad happens when you're in charge, then you get blamed for it and held responsible.

The buck stops at the top. Ultimately, he's responsible. It's called the "Tough Shit" rule. If something bad happens when you're in charge, then you get blamed for it and held responsible.

Do you really think so or is that a saying you happen to like? Jed York is doing a great job with the 49ers. I can assure you the blame and responsibility lands elsewhere.

Either way, those in earlier rounds on average have a higher success rate and last longer in the league, per Tree's earlier post.

Only because they are given many more chances than a 5th rounder. If you don't flash as a 5th rounder within 2 years you will be cut. There is much less margin for error on the players part the later you are drafted. A first rounder will be given much longer to succeed.

There was an interview by the Big Tuna when he went on saying that in the NFL draft, if you have one or two players stay on your team longer than a few years you had a successful draft.

This seems to be true regardless to which team is picking in the draft, when looking back on previous years most teams are likely too only have one or maybe a few players remaining from that draft on the roster, and even then they might not be contributing more than the odd special teams play.

It seems like some here expect the draft to be "a sure thing" that first and second round picks evolve into probowl talent, and round three to seven turn into quality backups and starters.

In fact most studies you look at of the NFL draft, it's a total crap shoot in the first round with most players not even starting after acouple years past being selected.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/22/the-first-round-of-the-draft-remains-a-total-crapshoot/

It’s not easy because it remains, at best, a flip-of-the-coin proposition.

“According to our most recent statistics that we drew on the first round, it’s less than 60 percent of those players that are starting,” Dimitroff said. “I think it may have come in at 56 percent.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

The General Numbers

I broke the positions down as follows: QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB.

What we find is that from 2005 until 2014:

• 2,465 players (non-kickers) were drafted.
  • 629 of those drafted became starters for at least half of their NFL careers
  • Of the 2,465 players: 122 were QBs, 207 were RBs, 421 were OL, 143 were TE, 317 were WR, 442 were DL, 303 were LB, and 510 were DB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340246/article/which-firstround-picks-have-most-staying-power

Examining a decade's worth of drafts from 1999 to 2008, our high-octane NFL research department charted how many first-round picks by position started at least one or more games in Year Six for the team that selected them.
Strangely enough, whether you picked offense or defense, the results were almost identical. Just 67 of 157 (.427) offensive choices made the cut, compared with 66 of 158 defenders (.418). Either way, total crapshoot.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-hard-to-tell-how-good-nfl-teams-are-at-the-draft/

With all this uncertainty, teams are increasingly finding roles for players who enter the league outside the orderly stratification of draft day. Although undrafted players rarely persist on NFL rosters for very long — their average career length has declined more severely than drafted players in recent years9 — the league is churning through more players than ever before, and the overall pool of undrafted players has never been larger. According to our research, the number of undrafted players on NFL rosters increased from 497 players in 2005 to 746 in 2014 — a 50 percent increase.10

There was an interview by the Big Tuna when he went on saying that in the NFL draft, if you have one or two players stay on your team longer than a few years you had a successful draft.

This seems to be true regardless to which team is picking in the draft, when looking back on previous years most teams are likely too only have one or maybe a few players remaining from that draft on the roster, and even then they might not be contributing more than the odd special teams play.

It seems like some here expect the draft to be "a sure thing" that first and second round picks evolve into probowl talent, and round three to seven turn into quality backups and starters.

In fact most studies you look at of the NFL draft, it's a total crap shoot in the first round with most players not even starting after acouple years past being selected.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/22/the-first-round-of-the-draft-remains-a-total-crapshoot/

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340246/article/which-firstround-picks-have-most-staying-power

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-hard-to-tell-how-good-nfl-teams-are-at-the-draft/

We require all first round picks to be Hall of Fame candidates after a 15 year starters during their career having missed no games due to injury and giving the Giants a hometown discount each time his contract was extended.

Do you really think so or is that a saying you happen to like? Jed York is doing a great job with the 49ers. I can assure you the blame and responsibility lands elsewhere.

Huh? Vendetta is right- you get credit or blame for what happens on your watch.