SportsWrath

Giants agree to 2 yr deal with Brandon Marshall

Dragon

This is one of the better O-line free agent classes in a while. Whitworth, beachem, okung, Wagner Reiff, clady, and vollmer would all be significant improvements at tackle. Zeitler, Lang, warford, Mathis at guard.

Some of these guys are older and might be had on short term deals to ring chase.

Don't get me wrong I wanted Marshall here but I saw him more as a luxury than a necessity. We just shaved 40% off our cap room for him

This is one of the better O-line free agent classes in a while. Whitworth, beachem, okung, Wagner Reiff, clady, and vollmer would all be significant improvements at tackle. Zeitler, Lang, warford, Mathis at guard.

Some of these guys are older and might be had on short term deals to ring chase.

Don't get me wrong I wanted Marshall here but I saw him more as a luxury than a necessity. We just shaved 40% off our cap room for him

Why does Okung sound familiar? Did we try signing him last year and didn't work out or did I confuse him with someone else?

I don't think BM is a luxury... Eli had one ligitimate target last year... Cruz couldn't get separation... and when teams double teamed ODB, we were doomed... the OL isn't as bad as people think yet I still think it's bad enough to warrant a couple of signings.

Why does Okung sound familiar? Did we try signing him last year and didn't work out or did I confuse him with someone else?

I don't think BM is a luxury... Eli had one ligitimate target last year... Cruz couldn't get separation... and when teams double teamed ODB, we were doomed... the OL isn't as bad as people think yet I still think it's bad enough to warrant a couple of signings.

Giants had interest in him last year, yes. There is talk he is on the decline, though.

Okung has been attractive simply because there aren't many OTs on the market. And each time a team has signed him for more than he's worth and he's been underwhelming. This would be exactly the kind of Geoff Schwartz move I want to avoid.

Okung is one guy and he's better than flowers. 3 of those guys I listed are on pffs top 25 o-linemen list. I'm not talking about a Steve Hutchinson signing. I want a guy who can block for 2-3 years and leave when Eli retires. The draft is thin on o-line and we don't have time for developing players

lets hope that 32 year old Brandon Marshall can get more early separation than 30 year old Victor Cruz ......... if so we will have a great receiving trio

The great thing about Marshall is he can make plays without a lot of separation. He's one of the best in the NFL at contested catches and making plays in tight coverage, imo.

The great thing about Marshall is he can make plays without a lot of separation. He's one of the best in the NFL at contested catches and making plays in tight coverage, imo.

that's a good point Jim .........and he will need to ....with Eli having 0.8 seconds to throw the bloody Duke

that's a good point Jim .........and he will need to ....with Eli having 0.8 seconds to throw the bloody Duke

I think with Marshall in the fold, Ramczyck (if shoulder checks out), or Garrett Bolles are in play at 23. Some people think Bolles isn't worth that high of a pick. I am not one of those people.

My short list is Ramczyck, Bolles, and OJ Howard in the first round. Dark horse is Forrest Lamp (who is 100% a guard in the NFL, not a tackle). So OL help could be on the way.

At least we can be sure the secondary can no longer help stop the run. Id think twice before I blitzed with em either. That should help the O-line right there. Now that isn't enough, but its a positive.

He's been the most productive receiver in football over the last decade; 921 receptions and 11,752 yards. Now think of how bad those teams he played on were. Great signing by the Giants and hopefully Marshall helps OBJ with his mental game also.

This is HUGE in my opinion. Marshall is the poster boy for getting your shit together and he could be invaluable as a mentor for OBJ.

And big props to Fringe! You called it buddy (like 6 years ago but whatever)!

With Geoff Schwartz they thought they found an undervalued diamond. Same with walton. I want an established player on a short term deal while we are in win now mode

And I'm with you. Nobody bitched about the OL this year more than me. But this is the right guy at the right price and I believe he'll have a dramatic effect. Looking at the price tags, I'm not sure we had enough cap space to sign a solid OT before this......and I would have hated to spend this same $6M on a guy who turned out to be not that much of an improvement. We're getting bang for our buck with this move.

I think this shows the Gints are going "all in" in the next season or two.

They have a defense which they are paying big money for and this FA/Draft is gonna be all O moves.

They don't have much left in the tank (if JPP signs the tag that is) for any big named Oline FA moves since Wagner is about to set the tone for the rest of FA.

I can see the Gints walking out of the draft with two Oline and a TE in the first three picks.

Throw the rookies wherever they fit on the line and start the TE day one.

All in all a good move, he's better then Cruz, wish he was abit cheaper but he got a end of the career type of contract.

"Brandon Marshall: "Eli is already on me about getting together."

Also said other teams offered more.

Another reason this made sense was so Brandon Marshall can continue the entertainment side of his career that he has been working on and it is hard to work on that outside of two markets in the country.

Another reason this made sense was so Brandon Marshall can continue the entertainment side of his career that he has been working on and it is hard to work on that outside of two markets in the country.

Yes, that was certainly a factor. His Showtime weekly show films in NYC on Tuesdays. Only potential snag there, that's a work day for the Giants, unlike most (all?) the other teams in the league, who work Monday, off Tuesday. Giants are off Monday, work Tuesday. Interesting to see how that works out.