SportsWrath

Gints tag JPP

BlueInCanada

The multi-year contract is going to take forever because I can guarantee he's going to want Vernon money. I'm looking forward to the JPP training camp holdout.

Well if it takes that long, then we have won't have additional money for the free agency period netted by signing JPP to a long year contract rather than the tag.

The multi-year contract is going to take forever because I can guarantee he's going to want Vernon money. I'm looking forward to the JPP training camp holdout.

I'm looking forward to him putting the Gints in cap hell while he disappears in the later part of the season when it matters most.

Oh then there's this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/28/despite-cost-being-the-same-giants-opt-not-to-use-exclusive-tag-on-jpp/

Despite cost being the same, Giants opt not to use exclusive tag on JPP
Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2017, 12:37 PM EST
497326246-e1488303426945.jpg?w=236Getty Images

With the non-exclusive franchise tender for running backs greater than what the exclusive tender would be in 2017, the exclusive tag and the non-exclusive tag will cost the same amount. As a result, the Steelers chose to apply the exclusive version of the tag to running back Le’Veon Bell, slamming the door on his ability to talk to other teams.

The non-exclusive franchise tender for defensive ends also is greater than what the exclusive tender currently would be in 2017. Nevertheless, the Giants opted to go with the non-exclusive tender as to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

So why did the Giants expose Pierre-Paul to the market?

First, the Giants possibly fear that the exclusive tender could go up. For now, the five highest cap numbers for defensive ends in 2017 belong to Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson ($18 million), Giants defensive end Olivier Vernon ($16 milli0n), Texans defensive end J.J. Watt ($14.5 million), Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah ($12.734 million), and Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan ($12.047 million). Currently, that’s an a average of $14.65 million, well below the anticipated non-exclusive tender of 10.14 percent of the salary cap, which if the cap is $166 million will equate to $16.83 million. New contracts and restructurings could drive the number higher before late April, when the calculation of the exclusive tender is finalized. That would drive Pierre-Paul’s price under the exclusive tender higher.

Second, the Giants possibly don’t think anyone will be willing to part with a pair of first-round picks for the privilege of signing Pierre-Paul to an offer sheet they choose not to match. So it doesn’t matter if he’s tagged exclusively or non-exclusively.

I'm looking forward to him putting the Gints in cap hell while he disappears in the later part of the season when it matters most.

Yep. As I stated in another thread. I bet Romeo Okwara can put up 5-6 sacks to JPP's 7 in 12 games, so to put it in perspective, we're going to pay JPP 17 million to produce two extra sacks.

Yep. As I stated in another thread. I bet Romeo Okwara can put up 5-6 sacks to JPP's 7 in 12 games, so to put it in perspective, we're going to pay JPP 17 million to produce two extra sacks.

about the like 30+ tackles above average for the position? Can Okwara do that too? Will Okwara get 5-6 clean up sacks, or will he get 7 sacks while facing double-blocking?

I'm all for a cold, hard cost-benefit analysis on JPP, but come on now.... its not 17 million for two extra sacks.... its $17 million for two more sacks, and frequently taking up an extra blocker, which translates to several more sacks from others down the line. And, more importantly, a ton more tackles than you can expect from a replacement level DE.

about the like 30+ tackles above average for the position? Can Okwara do that too? Will Okwara get 5-6 clean up sacks, or will he get 7 sacks while facing double-blocking?

I'm all for a cold, hard cost-benefit analysis on JPP, but come on now.... its not 17 million for two extra sacks.... its $17 million for two more sacks, and frequently taking up an extra blocker, which translates to several more sacks from others down the line. And, more importantly, a ton more tackles than you can expect from a replacement level DE.

Fair point. Though that's if he's healthy, a big if. Plus he's not always consistent.

Anyway, at this point, I just hope we get that cap number for this year at reasonable range...$10 - 14mm, so that we can also address the OL.

Yeah but he's become a monster against the run too

Yeah but he's become a monster against the run too

It's funny I think Vernon is by far the superior DE on the team in the run and pass.

I've never seen a DE with the instinct against the run like Vernon since Strahan.

But for 17+ million for a single season for a run stopping monster I'd let him walk.

It's funny I think Vernon is by far the superior DE on the team in the run and pass.

I've never seen a DE with the instinct against the run like Vernon since Strahan.

But for 17+ million for a single season for a run stopping monster I'd let him walk.

I think the eventual tag amount will be less than 17, and if they sign him to a long term deal, cap # might be lower.

I think Vernon is the better player too, but not 'by far'.

And JPP has snaps where he's as good as anybody who's ever played. He gets fooled sometimes, but man, when he's on it, there's nothing like him playing today outside of JJ Watt.

They're both top DEs as far as I'm concerned but yeah I think Vernon is better too. Jpp might not be worth 17 mil but he's not far away from it either

They're both top DEs as far as I'm concerned but yeah I think Vernon is better too. Jpp might not be worth 17 mil but he's not far away from it either

I don't think the question is how much is JPP worth, he proved that already. We cannot justify spending a significant portion of the team salary on two defensive ends. A long term contract with JPP will not happen. What can happen at this point is a trade and that window has a time limit. I don't think the Giants are interested in a 2018 draft pick for JPP on your roster in 2017.

I don't think the question is how much is JPP worth, he proved that already. We cannot justify spending a significant portion of the team salary on two defensive ends. A long term contract with JPP will not happen. What can happen at this point is a trade and that window has a time limit. I don't think the Giants are interested in a 2018 draft pick for JPP on your roster in 2017.

You sound pretty certain.

• 3 weeks later...