SportsWrath

Barkley: High ankle sprain

Herc

It will be good for him in the long run.

If he develops any pocket presence at all, that is.

I think he has it he just gets dead set on making a play. Sometimes that means waiting to the last second to make the throw. Im not worried about that. The second fumble wasnt his fault. Hell have to learn he cant do it all on his own and get smarter but I doubt he just doesnt sense the rush.

So standing in the pocket and making the throw, or rolling out and extended the play he did multiple times today....what else could he have done?

there were a several times there was a pocket to step into, and his eyes were downfield. Most of the time it worked out too. A couple times he took a sack he didn't need to.

that's not really what I want to talk about though, its a relatively minor critique of an otherwise outstanding first game. I do think he'll get better at it, they usually do.

there were a several times there was a pocket to step into, and his eyes were downfield. Most of the time it worked out too. A couple times he took a sack he didn't need to.

that's not really what I want to talk about though, its a relatively minor critique of an otherwise outstanding first game. I do think he'll get better at it, they usually do.

Very true. I will mention that Eli was never terribly good at that, either.

Very true. I will mention that Eli was never terribly good at that, either.

I couldn't disagree more with the 'never' part of that (I'd say it's at this point of his career, arguably his greatest strength...I'd put him right behind Brady in pocket awareness, along with a few other guys.... Brady is obviously the greatest in that respect, he's amazing).

But he definitely started out much the same way. Man, did Eli ever take some shots his first few years.

Compare young Eli to Warner behind that same line though... now that was a guy with no pocket awareness. And honestly at this point, I see more Warner in Jones' pocket game than young Eli.

I mean, Warner is a HOFer, so.... don't take that as a slam on Jones.

Schefter twitter: MRI revealed Giants RB Saquon Barkley suffered a high ankle sprain that could sideline him anywhere from 4-8 weeks, per source. Longer timeline is considered more likely; the Giants have a bye in week 11, which could give him eight weeks to recover and return for last six games.

Schefter twitter: MRI revealed Giants RB Saquon Barkley suffered a high ankle sprain that could sideline him anywhere from 4-8 weeks, per source. Longer timeline is considered more likely; the Giants have a bye in week 11, which could give him eight weeks to recover and return for last six games.

Just put him on IR and sign Jay Ajayi at this point...This year is a transition/developmental year for the team, and we might as well spare Saquon's health and not rush him back.

Just put him on IR and sign Jay Ajayi at this point...This year is a transition/developmental year for the team, and we might as well spare Saquon's health and not rush him back.

You must not enjoy being competitive and winning games. This is a horrible take. He needs to come back as soon as he is healthy. And he will.

You must not enjoy being competitive and winning games. This is a horrible take. He needs to come back as soon as he is healthy. And he will.

We aren't really competitive though it's why Jones is starting.

You give the Bucs someone other than the Gay kicker and we are 0 and 3.

I wouldn't rush Barkley with an injury that commonly results in ligament damage.

The Giants aren't playing for this year they are playing for the next when hopefully this defense isn't bottom of the NFL and we spend that 80 million in cap space.

We aren't really competitive though it's why Jones is starting.

You give the Bucs someone other than the Gay kicker and we are 0 and 3.

I wouldn't rush Barkley with an injury that commonly results in ligament damage.

The Giants aren't playing for this year they are playing for the next when hopefully this defense isn't bottom of the NFL and we spend that 80 million in cap space.

Right as soon as hes healthy, he will be back. And he should be back. The Giants are in second place in the division and have yet to play a horrible Redskins team and a stumbling Eagles team. These guys run a multi million dollar enterprise, Barkley makes millions but hes an ultimately a competitor. To suggest they just throw him on the bench the rest of the year after the results of three games are in is ridiculous.

Right as soon as hes healthy, he will be back. And he should be back. The Giants are in second place in the division and have yet to play a horrible Redskins team and a stumbling Eagles team. These guys run a multi million dollar enterprise, Barkley makes millions but hes an ultimately a competitor. To suggest they just throw him on the bench the rest of the year after the results of three games are in is ridiculous.

Oh I'm not saying keep him on the bench but don't rush him back.

This team isn't going to the playoffs simply because we don't have a playoff defense and so far the offense hasn't been tested against a playoff defense outwide of week one.

I don't want the Giants to try and throw Barkley into a game ahead of schudle just to end up blowing out a ligament just for an 8 and 8 record.

I guess maybe I dont understand. Theres a risk of permanently damaging your ankle forever playing on it potentially still healing from a sprain? Doesnt he have a full offseason afterwards? The only way youre going to change this culture and mentality of losing is to get guys back on the field and show the team youre always trying to win; not trying your best to get through a season. I could be wrong but I felt a different energy and momentum Sunday and I dont think the defense is as bad as theyve played. If Saquon is cleared in two weeks, like he says he can be, put him on the field.

I guess maybe I dont understand. Theres a risk of permanently damaging your ankle forever playing on it potentially still healing from a sprain? Doesnt he have a full offseason afterwards? The only way youre going to change this culture and mentality of losing is to get guys back on the field and show the team youre always trying to win; not trying your best to get through a season. I could be wrong but I felt a different energy and momentum Sunday and I dont think the defense is as bad as theyve played. If Saquon is cleared in two weeks, like he says he can be, put him on the field.

Like I said as long as Barkley is healthy and back to 100 percent I hope he plays, but I don't want to rush him back for a more than likely middle of the pack season. Why risk further injury or a complete ligament tear by trying to get him back in the line up as quickly as possible if he isn't ready to be? Especially if the Giants lose or split these next 4 to six weeks.

I don't know what you seen from the defence but you take away one bad kick and they lost us the game Sunday.

Next time they might not be as lucky or you know not against a team stupid enough to take a delay of game penalty on the winning kick.

Now if by some stoke of 2007 luck the Giants go 3-1 or like 4-2 while Barkley is on the bench then by all means the moment he says he's good to go and the doc's give him the clear then get him back as soon as they can.

But if more than likely the Giants are still middle of the road then why risk it? Let him rest with no rush on getting back into the starting line up?

Like I said as long as Barkley is healthy and back to 100 percent I hope he plays, but I don't want to rush him back for a more than likely middle of the pack season. Why risk further injury or a complete ligament tear by trying to get him back in the line up as quickly as possible if he isn't ready to be? Especially if the Giants lose or split these next 4 to six weeks.

I don't know what you seen from the defence but you take away one bad kick and they lost us the game Sunday.

Next time they might not be as lucky or you know not against a team stupid enough to take a delay of game penalty on the winning kick.

Any play could be a players last NFL snap... the play he hurt his ankle on was nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary... it is part of the game. I do not think you wrap it up and send him out there limping, but after the first snap of preseason I doubt many NFL players are at 100%....

If Dr's say after 2 weeks he is ready to go, and Saquon himself says he feels ready to go... strap on that helmet and go get us some yards.

Nobody wants to see their best players on the sidelines, well other than Vendetta.