SportsWrath

Top 5 QB's in the NFL

JMFP

1. Peyton Manning
  2. Tom Brady
  3. Drew Brees
  4. Eli Manning
  5. Ben Rothlisberger

Note: QBs playing for losers did not receive consideration, since in my opinion, the top requirement of a QB is to win games.

Thanks for your time and attention.

there are a lot of guys in the league with more physical skill than Eli but he is very, very smart. In today's game that is extremely important and should not be under emphasized.

When you add to that, an incredibly short memory, and a very good 2 minute QB we could do much, much worse.

I think right now, Brady and P Manning are the true stand outs; the next 8 to 10 are probably a coin flip

I'd move Rodgers over Roethlisberger and move Rivers to 6 and then it's Eli, with Matt Ryan 8.

Honestly, I think Brady and Brees are a lot closer to Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Eli and company then they are to Peyton now.

My list is something like this right now.

Peyton

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Rivers.

Is it because the youngsters are coming into their prime? Or because Brady is getting a little older combined with a couple injuries? Or because Brees doesn't have quite the arsenal he did the last few years? Probly all three, but I would be comfortable interchanging any of the 4 I have after Peyton and think they could all be equally effective.

Honestly, I think Brady and Brees are a lot closer to Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Eli and company then they are to Peyton now.

My list is something like this right now.

Peyton

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Rivers.

Is it because the youngsters are coming into their prime? Or because Brady is getting a little older combined with a couple injuries? Or because Brees doesn't have quite the arsenal he did the last few years? Probly all three, but I would be comfortable interchanging any of the 4 I have after Peyton and think they could all be equally effective.

The Reggie Bush injury has hurt Brees and the offense a whole lot.

After watching Brady throw that pass to Brandon tate on Sunday, I thought, to myself, what other QB could have done that?. It was like Favre with accuracy.

I don't think Eli is or will be a top 5 qb as long as he plays. He's 29 now and he's not better than Big Ben or Rivers, and Rodgers has passed him. I think he'll go to the pro bowl this year because overall the NFC quarterback level is piss poor, but I believe Ryan/Stafford and Bradford could all be better players. If he was going to be great, now's his time. He throws some very bad passes sometimes and I do believe he lacks some leadership. He's still more than good enough to play quarterback for the Giants, but considering the hulabaloo to get him at the draft, we were expecting the next big thing in football, and he's not reached that level of expectation.

What I do see is him being at a "very good" level longer than the other 2 guys because Eli has been very healthy during his career. I truly expect both of them to falter in a few years and fall pretty fast. Just my feeling but I see that in their futures, especially Rivers.

Rodgers deserves some consideration.

But right now, I've got Rivers and Romo in the same territory. If they were so good their teams wouldn't be on the outside looking in.

I give Manning the edge over Rothlisberger because Manning beat Tom Brady and the best team in NFL history to get his ring......and Manning isn't a sexual predator.

The Reggie Bush injury has hurt Brees and the offense a whole lot.

After watching Brady throw that pass to Brandon tate on Sunday, I thought, to myself, what other QB could have done that?. It was like Favre with accuracy.

I don't think Eli is or will be a top 5 qb as long as he plays. He's 29 now and he's not better than Big Ben or Rivers, and Rodgers has passed him. I think he'll go to the pro bowl this year because overall the NFC quarterback level is piss poor, but I believe Ryan/Stafford and Bradford could all be better players. If he was going to be great, now's his time. He throws some very bad passes sometimes and I do believe he lacks some leadership. He's still more than good enough to play quarterback for the Giants, but considering the hulabaloo to get him at the draft, we were expecting the next big thing in football, and he's not reached that level of expectation.

What I do see is him being at a "very good" level longer than the other 2 guys because Eli has been very healthy during his career. I truly expect both of them to falter in a few years and fall pretty fast. Just my feeling but I see that in their futures, especially Rivers.

I can appreciate that, but I honestly think Eli gets a bad wrap because he doesn't put up the gaudy numbers like some of the other QB's, simply because he has a running game. The Pats, Colts, Saints, Packers don't have the running game we do and are forced to pass more. And their offenses are built for passing and designed around it, but when our running game cvan't get going, we don't have the exotic 4receiver sets to carry us.

Peyton does things with a football I've never seen, Brady may have an unbelievable pass here and there, Peyton does it several times a game.

As important to the Saints offense as Bush is, I still have a hard time buying thats the sole reason from going to to what they had last year to whats going on now.

As much as I like Rodgers, I'm not willing to say he's out and out better than Ei or Rothlisberger right now. And of the 3 youngsters I like Stafford the most, although Bradford has far exceeded my expectations so far. Ryan I'm just not completely sold on yet, he could end up being great, but I don't think he'll end up being "better" than Eli, I think he's an Eli type player that could be as good, but not better.

But right now, I've got Rivers and Romo in the same territory. If they were so good their teams wouldn't be on the outside looking in.

I give Manning the edge over Rothlisberger because Manning beat Tom Brady and the best team in NFL history to get his ring......and Manning isn't a sexual predator.

Rivers is doing everything he can to help his team win, it's the fact they have given up 500,000 special team TDs that they have the record they do now. Not to mention their D isnt what it used to be. Trust me Rivers is far from the reason they are a 3-5 team.

It's like Eli of 2009, he was one of the few reasons we were able to get 8 wins out of that season.

I can appreciate that, but I honestly think Eli gets a bad wrap because he doesn't put up the gaudy numbers like some of the other QB's, simply because he has a running game. The Pats, Colts, Saints, Packers don't have the running game we do and are forced to pass more. And their offenses are built for passing and designed around it, but when our running game cvan't get going, we don't have the exotic 4receiver sets to carry us.

Peyton does things with a football I've never seen, Brady may have an unbelievable pass here and there, Peyton does it several times a game.

As important to the Saints offense as Bush is, I still have a hard time buying thats the sole reason from going to to what they had last year to whats going on now.

As much as I like Rodgers, I'm not willing to say he's out and out better than Ei or Rothlisberger right now. And of the 3 youngsters I like Stafford the most, although Bradford has far exceeded my expectations so far. Ryan I'm just not completely sold on yet, he could end up being great, but I don't think he'll end up being "better" than Eli, I think he's an Eli type player that could be as good, but not better.

In regards to Bush, he's not the only reason. Overall they've dipped but Bush keeps defenses more honest due to his ability to line up at wideout and rb. He's a big loss.

Pittsburgh was hurting a LOT more with Polamalu missing last year than when Roethlisberger was missing this year--they went 3-1.

If Benny was that important to the Steeler's offensive system, I would think that they would have started far worse than they did. That says a lot more about their OC, not their QB. I do think the rapist gets far more credit for that team's success than he ever deserved.

I do know we wouldn't go 3-1 without Eli. I know that's just my opinion, but it isn't a stretch to see that. He was getting the job done before we had these wide receivers.

I've never been comfortable with River's throwing mechanics. I was horrified when we drafted him, up until the trade. But he is better than I thought he would be, although I do agree with you about him and Romo. For San Diego to struggle as much as it has over the last few seasons with the team it has in that division--wow. And Romo hasn't exactly had garbage to throw to over his stint in Dallas.

It's hard for me to have Roger ahead of Rothlisberger for the simple fact that Ben has 2 rings.

This is a horseshit argument. Ben got his first ring when he played like a retarded douchebag on the field and did everything in his power to lose the game, but thanks to a killer D and the fact that all the Refs were wearing Black and Yellow that night, Ben doesnt get his first ring.

The second one he deserved.

But as of now, Peyton far above the rest. Then Brady, Brees. Eli, Ben, Rivers, Rodgers is a toss-up. Either could be great on their day.

yeah peyton is just insane at this point. it doesn't matter who they run out there at rb, wr and te with all these injuries, peyton makes them look like a million bucks and is still on pace for 5000 yards, 450 completions at 66%, 34 TD's and 5 int's. he's got that injury ridden squad on his back this season as far as im concerned he's the mvp right now

Peyton - no doubt the #1. He's literally a player-coach at a professional level. He's an offensive coordinator and an unbelievable passer. If you want to knock anything about him, it's his mobility, but when you can get the ball out as quickly and as accurately as he does, it's not an issue.

Brady - I think he's clearly #2 for his accuracy. The system he plays in with the quick, short passes is ideal in taking advantage of his accuracy. He's every bit as calm and collected as Eli is. His mistakes are minimal considering the amount of passing that offense does.

Brees - He puts up the numbers and you simply can't argue them. This year has been off, and it's not Reggie Bush. I don't see Brees getting the protection he's had in past years. That, I think, has as much to do with it as anything. The dropoff in the running game plays a part too, as does the fact that every team wants to take out the SB champs. They'll be back, but this year doesn't belong to them.

Roethlisberger - is tough and is rather mobile for his size. He's young and has 2 SB victories. Granted, he has a hell of a defense and an impressive running game, but Ben's arm has won them some games too. I discount his off-the-field issues looking at the on-the-field stuff only.

Eli - clearly leads by example, which is misleading to most fans. He's not nearly as accurate as the top 3. But, his coolness under pressure and his ability to forget a mistake rivals that of the top 2. This is especially evident in the 2-minute drills. He has the SB win and he was part of it no doubt, but you have to give most of that credit to the defense that game. Eli hasn't shown me that he can win games without a running game, on his own, on a consistent basis. The top 3 have done that and Ben does it more often than Eli.

Rodgers/Rivers - these guys put up ridiculous numbers, have the accuracy, some mobility, and what not. But at the end of the day, until they win SBs and contribute to those SB wins, as opposed to simply being a role player, they're not making the top 5

---To address the draft trade to get Eli, given what we gave up, I would have gone with Roethlisberger and kept the picks. Despite the numbers, I just haven't bought into Rivers. To date, there just hasn't been enough of a difference in performance between Eli and Ben to justify the picks we left. That's not a slight on either player, because both are quality franchise, starting QBs...but that's the point. They're both essentially on the same level and one cost much, much more.

Eli # 1.

Case Closed.

Thats what Im talkin bout Nas....... :thumbs:

But seriously, are we talkin this yr stats? Or overall? or what? Because those that dont have Eli in the top 5, and have Brees, Rodgers and Roethlisberger in there, and are referring to this yr are blind. Elis team is 5-2, better than GB. And Joe clearly said, winning records make a difference. And up till the bye week, he was tied for most TD's (14).

For me:

Brady

Eli

P. Manning

Rodgers

Brees

But seriously, are we talkin this yr stats? Or overall? or what? Because those that dont have Eli in the top 5, and have Brees, Rodgers and Roethlisberger in there, and are referring to this yr are blind. Elis team is 5-2, better than GB. And Joe clearly said, winning records make a difference. And up till the bye week, he was tied for most TD's (14).

For me:

Brady

Eli

Rodgers

Manning

Brees

my god...the dog was actually doing his best to just let this thread go, but really? peyton manning to you is the 4th best QB in the league? this solidifies it, you know as much about football as an infant born in the Sudan...the dog won't even entertain the rest of your list. priceless...absolutely priceless...

For me:

Brady

Eli

Rodgers

Manning

Brees

I'm sorry Blue, but that's way off.

Peyton - no doubt the #1. He's literally a player-coach at a professional level. He's an offensive coordinator and an unbelievable passer. If you want to knock anything about him, it's his mobility, but when you can get the ball out as quickly and as accurately as he does, it's not an issue.

Brady - I think he's clearly #2 for his accuracy. The system he plays in with the quick, short passes is ideal in taking advantage of his accuracy. He's every bit as calm and collected as Eli is. His mistakes are minimal considering the amount of passing that offense does.

Brees - He puts up the numbers and you simply can't argue them. This year has been off, and it's not Reggie Bush. I don't see Brees getting the protection he's had in past years. That, I think, has as much to do with it as anything. The dropoff in the running game plays a part too, as does the fact that every team wants to take out the SB champs. They'll be back, but this year doesn't belong to them.

Roethlisberger - is tough and is rather mobile for his size. He's young and has 2 SB victories. Granted, he has a hell of a defense and an impressive running game, but Ben's arm has won them some games too. I discount his off-the-field issues looking at the on-the-field stuff only.

Eli - clearly leads by example, which is misleading to most fans. He's not nearly as accurate as the top 3. But, his coolness under pressure and his ability to forget a mistake rivals that of the top 2. This is especially evident in the 2-minute drills. He has the SB win and he was part of it no doubt, but you have to give most of that credit to the defense that game. Eli hasn't shown me that he can win games without a running game, on his own, on a consistent basis. The top 3 have done that and Ben does it more often than Eli.

Rodgers/Rivers - these guys put up ridiculous numbers, have the accuracy, some mobility, and what not. But at the end of the day, until they win SBs and contribute to those SB wins, as opposed to simply being a role player, they're not making the top 5

---To address the draft trade to get Eli, given what we gave up, I would have gone with Roethlisberger and kept the picks. Despite the numbers, I just haven't bought into Rivers. To date, there just hasn't been enough of a difference in performance between Eli and Ben to justify the picks we left. That's not a slight on either player, because both are quality franchise, starting QBs...but that's the point. They're both essentially on the same level and one cost much, much more.

I have no issues with your rankings, but the last part about Eli or Ben I have to disagree with. Yes the Giants gave up a lot, but at the end of the day I know Eli will be starting every game he can. I have no concern that he'll get in a motorcycle accident without a helmet or rape a chick and miss time; he'll be there. IMO, the trade is worth it for Eli's character, as opposed to Ben's.