SportsWrath

Jenkins, 32, is paying the Giants a visit.

Nas

http://www.nypost.co...RBtd4lDA78XSNVP

Having a hole in the middle of your defensive line is no way to head into a season. The Giants created that void early this offseason when they released Chris Canty. Now they might be looking to fill that hole with Cullen Jenkins, an Eagles castoff.

Jenkins, 32, is paying the Giants a visit. He met and dined Thursday night with coaches and Friday will engage in meetings and talks at the team’s Timex Performance Center facility. He was released by the Eagles on Monday and as a result can be signed immediately by the Giants, or any other team.

Jenkins has six teams inquiring about his services, but the Giants are up first and, based on their track record, if they have serious interest, they’ll strike quickly.

“There is sincere interest there,’’ Jenkins’ agent, Brian Levy, told The Post.

There’s also a connection there, as Robert Nunn, the Giants’ defensive line coach, filled that same role in Green Bay from 2005-08 when Jenkins played there. That sort of personal touch often goes a long way in forging a relationship with a new team.

The Eagles after parting ways with coach Andy Reid are clearly in a house-cleaning phase, as Jenkins, Mike Patterson and Jason Babin have already been jettisoned from their defense.

Jenkins after seven solid seasons with the Packers — following a career-high seven sacks in 2010 — signed a five-year, $25 million deal with the Eagles as part of the supposed “Dream Team’’ they assembled for the 2012 season. Jenkins started every game the past two years and had 9.5 sacks at defensive tackle. Jenkins is the younger brother of Kris Jenkins, a former Jets defensive lineman.

After the release of Canty — who was due $6 million in 2013 — the Giants left themselves with a void at defensive tackle alongside entrenched starter Linval Joseph. The candidates on the roster are Marvin Austin, Markus Kuhn and Shaun Rogers, and it would be a stretch to believe any of those is ready for full-time work.

Kuhn showed flashes as a rookie but is coming off a serious knee injury — a torn ACL. Austin, once considered a future starter as a 2011 second-round draft pick, hasn’t developed the way the Giants envisioned after two sluggish, injury-filled seasons. Rogers, 33, was re-signed after missing the entire 2012 season with a blood clot in his leg.

The Giants don’t have a lot of money to spend and, with free agency opening up March 12, still have 17 of their own unrestricted free agents, plus four restricted players to sort through.

* The Post last week reported that though the Giants have interest in re-signing wide receiver Ramses Barden, he was headed to the open market.

“I’m really seriously kind of excited for the offseason, because as much fun as I’ve had in New York ... it’s probably best for me to start looking other places for a new system, for a refreshed sense of welcoming,” Barden said Thursday on SiriusXM Radio.

“I think everybody can benefit from newness in their lives. This is going to be one of those for me.”

Barden in four years with the Giants had 29 catches for 394 yards and no touchdowns. Asked if he was open to returning to the Giants, Barden called himself a dog — sort of.

“It’s not that I’m not open,’’ Barden said. “It’s just there’s something important, there’s something about renewal, refreshing. Every so often dogs shed, animals shed and they become bigger and grow into a new skin, a new coat. And this is just my process, my evolution as a receiver where I feel like I’m ready for something new.”

I think there's room for either Jenkins OR Rogers...not both. I think Jenkins is the better player, but will also demand a higher payday. Either way, we pick a DT in the 1st and this veteran we bring in, Jenkins or Rogers, is only keeping the seat warm until the rookie can start.

I think there's room for either Jenkins OR Rogers...not both. I think Jenkins is the better player, but will also demand a higher payday. Either way, we pick a DT in the 1st and this veteran we bring in, Jenkins or Rogers, is only keeping the seat warm until the rookie can start.

I don't know bro, Rogers strikes as a solid back up... similar to Boothe on the OL. Jenkins can come in and be a starter as I don't think we're going to start a rookie... in essence I think we got room for both.. we have to.