SportsWrath

Bold Predictions

Sephiroth

It's time for the annual bold predictions thread. Now some of you will make some not-so-bold predictions... "Beason will get hurt," or "the Giants will lead the league in injuries!" Well, those are givens... not exactly bold. You'll have to look to yours truly for some genuinely bold predictions since the rest of you are lilly-livered pansies for the most part, now that Wizdum hasn't been around in a few years.

Anyways, as usual, you can take these to the bank:

Kennard will be the best linebacker we've had since Jessie Armstead. This kid is making me into a believer... he's got strength, decent enough speed, but most of all he's smart. I was very impressed with him this preseason; he's going to be a bona fide star for us. If he doesn't make the Pro Bowl this year, it'll be due to a snub and not because of his play.

JPP will never again be an impact player for the Giants. Dude basically had his hand blown off, and has pins in his thumb. He's been on painkillers for two months... chances are he's skinny, out of shape, doped up, and constipated. He's got burns, nerve damage, and is missing a digit. This isn't the kind of injury that you just "come back" from... he's finished as a difference-maker for the Giants, contract year or not.

We'll once again have no running offense. Schwartz looks serviceable in this department but he probably won't play more than six games. Jerry and Newhouse are both pretty bad, and Richburg/Pugh haven't done much this preseason to make me think they can be road-graders. Jennings will get hurt, that guy from the Patriots will disappoint, and Williams has no vision... none. I think of everyone on the line, Flowers will be the guy we run behind when we need a yard on third and short... which brings me to...

Flowers will buck the "football name" trend and be a stud. He's going to grab and hold a lot and occasionally frustrate, but overall Flowers is going to turn out to be a great pick. He's big as a truck and even when he's caught out of position, his huge frame and long arm can wall out defenders. Some of the NFL's elite are going to give him a hard time but by midseason I think he'll be the best O-lineman on the team.

Eli will miss significant time with an injury. It happened to his brother right around this time in his career... Eli can't last forever... and while this line is decent in pass-blocking, we're going up against some very aggressive defenses this year. I'm thinking the BIlls game is when we get to see the debut of Ryan Nassib in a real game. When you can't run the ball, your offense becomes one-dimensional... and Rex Ryan is going to tee off on that and crush our one hope for the season.

Honorable mention: the Giants get to seven wins, and Coughlin is gone at the end of the season. The Giants go into full-rebuild mode and keep Reese, even though it's JR himself who should go.

6-10

NY Rangers camp opens in less than 3 weeks!

I'll stick with my 6-10 prediction from last year. I believe I've predicted correctly 2 years in a row now, so you all should make your bets in Vegas. You're all welcome for future winnings.

If absolutely everything breaks right this year, 8-8 is doable... and I think that could get you in the playoffs this year. The conference, and NFL in general, is average. Unfortunately, our talent is way below average.

The offence could be decent if the OL ever comes together, but you'll mostly see tons of 3 and outs this year. I don't expect much from Cruz and think ODB will take a step back. That's not to say ODB won't be a great player, I just don't see him dominating like last year.

Special teams I have no idea.

The biggest weak link, of course, is the defence. It's an absolute train wreck and Spags has nothing to work with. We have Hankins, Kennard, and that's it. Everything else is crap or a question mark. I don't like DRC at all. Terrible contract there. Prince can't stay healthy. Really hoping Collins and Odi show some signs of being keepers. There simply isn't enough talent though.

I love our coaching staff, and I feel really bad for TC. Reese has completely hung him out to dry with his god awful drafting. It absolutely blows my mind that the franchise tender to JPP was not rescinded. We need that damn cap space for next season and could vastly improve this team next offseason. JPP is a dumb, overrated fool and has no place on this team. This kind of blind loyalty to an idiot makes me shake my head. Reese has got to go if we finish 6-10 again or worse. Worst Giants GM in my lifetime by far.

Let's go Rangers!

It's time for the annual bold predictions thread. Now some of you will make some not-so-bold predictions... "Beason will get hurt," or "the Giants will lead the league in injuries!" Well, those are givens... not exactly bold. You'll have to look to yours truly for some genuinely bold predictions since the rest of you are lilly-livered pansies for the most part, now that Wizdum hasn't been around in a few years.

Kennard will be the best linebacker we've had since Jessie Armstead. This kid is making me into a believer... he's got strength, decent enough speed, but most of all he's smart. I was very impressed with him this preseason; he's going to be a bona fide star for us. If he doesn't make the Pro Bowl this year, it'll be due to a snub and not because of his play.

JPP will never again be an impact player for the Giants. Dude basically had his hand blown off, and has pins in his thumb. He's been on painkillers for two months... chances are he's skinny, out of shape, doped up, and constipated. He's got burns, nerve damage, and is missing a digit. This isn't the kind of injury that you just "come back" from... he's finished as a difference-maker for the Giants, contract year or not.

We'll once again have no running offense. Schwartz looks serviceable in this department but he probably won't play more than six games. Jerry and Newhouse are both pretty bad, and Richburg/Pugh haven't done much this preseason to make me think they can be road-graders. Jennings will get hurt, that guy from the Patriots will disappoint, and Williams has no vision... none. I think of everyone on the line, Flowers will be the guy we run behind when we need a yard on third and short... which brings me to...

Flowers will buck the "football name" trend and be a stud. He's going to grab and hold a lot and occasionally frustrate, but overall Flowers is going to turn out to be a great pick. He's big as a truck and even when he's caught out of position, his huge frame and long arm can wall out defenders. Some of the NFL's elite are going to give him a hard time but by midseason I think he'll be the best O-lineman on the team.

Eli will miss significant time with an injury. It happened to his brother right around this time in his career... Eli can't last forever... and while this line is decent in pass-blocking, we're going up against some very aggressive defenses this year. I'm thinking the BIlls game is when we get to see the debut of Ryan Nassib in a real game. When you can't run the ball, your offense becomes one-dimensional... and Rex Ryan is going to tee off on that and crush our one hope for the season.

Honorable mention: the Giants get to seven wins, and Coughlin is gone at the end of the season. The Giants go into full-rebuild mode and keep Reese, even though it's JR himself who should go.

I think the title of the thread should've been.. Predictable predictions... JPP pulls an Osi and vanishes quite a bit anyway... I think the only "bold" prediction is Eli missing significant time.

I'm the eternal optimist and believe the Giants will surprise this year. I expect a slow start (maybe 1-2 early on), but they will start to gel and get better over the long haul finishing 10-6 or 11-5 and win the division.

I always feel the best about the Giants when everyone thinks they stink and are doomed. I think the Cowboys will be our biggest hurdle. I expect 2 wins against the Redskins and 1-1 against the Eagles. Although, if the Eagles can't get their QB to exceed expectations, we might go 2-0 against them. I'd be happy with 1-1 against the cowboys.

The most optimistic thing I am taking away from preseason, is that the Giants have been able to stifle the opponents run game. Not being able to stop the run game is what absolutely killed us last year. If that problem is solved, we are in a good position.

My biggest fear: INJURIES! in which case, nothing I predict matters and I withdraw my optimism.

YOU WANT BOLD!!!! I'll give you BOLD!

Rueben Randle leads all Giants receivers in TD's ≥ 12. OBJ is going to draw tremendous attention, Cruz isn't quite back all the way as we go into week one, and Randle is a good redzone threat, ... Randle was coming on late last season and that propels him into a big year in the second year of the McAdoo offense. Beckham will be right behind him with double digit scores, but Randle leads the team. BOLD!

Landon Collins will win defensive rookie of the year award. He's stepping right in as a starter, and because of the heavy blitz packages that Spags will employ against teams, Collins will have an opportunity to make plays on the ball, as well as attack the QB. Looking for big tackle totals, interceptions, and few sacks. THAT'S BOLD, BABY!

Eli Manning has his first career 5,000 yard passing season, and finishes as a top 5 MVP candidate. The time is right! Stud receiver, great slot option, great backfield option, and year 2 of an offense in which he thrived in last year.... and the defense may struggle, predicating the need to throw often and late.

OMG SO BOLD I CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!

Rueben Randle leads all Giants receivers in TD's ≥ 12. OBJ is going to draw tremendous attention, Cruz isn't quite back all the way as we go into week one, and Randle is a good redzone threat, ... Randle was coming on late last season and that propels him into a big year in the second year of the McAdoo offense. Beckham will be right behind him with double digit scores, but Randle leads the team. BOLD!

Landon Collins will win defensive rookie of the year award. He's stepping right in as a starter, and because of the heavy blitz packages that Spags will employ against teams, Collins will have an opportunity to make plays on the ball, as well as attack the QB. Looking for big tackle totals, interceptions, and few sacks. THAT'S BOLD, BABY!

Eli Manning has his first career 5,000 yard passing season, and finishes as a top 5 MVP candidate. The time is right! Stud receiver, great slot option, great backfield option, and year 2 of an offense in which he thrived in last year.... and the defense may struggle, predicating the need to throw often and late.

Funny you mentioned Randle... I almost went with "Randle is replaced at the end of the year" but thought it was too obvious, lol. I'm not a believer.

Jim said pretty much the same stuff I was going too. Except I think Vic Beasley wins DROY. Eli...38 pass td's, 5000 yards, 68% completion %. We have three 1000 yard WR's. 12-4 win the division and beat the Pats for the third time 42, 46, 50. Coughlin retires on top and Nick Saban coming off his own championship becomes the next head coach

Reuben Randle is the real deal, he's way better than guys he has been associated with like Mario Manningham. He will never be a number one in this league but I could see him hitting a thousand yards and ten tds this year. Cruz is not and will not ever be the same. The fact he has opposite-leg-injuries tells me that the knee is not ready; especially lower leg injuries on the opposite leg. He's favoring the knee!

Which one is supposed to be "bold"? Other than the Eli injury, all of these are pretty much what everyone expects.

Jim said pretty much the same stuff I was going too. Except I think Vic Beasley wins DROY. Eli...38 pass td's, 5000 yards, 68% completion %. We have three 1000 yard WR's. 12-4 win the division and beat the Pats for the third time 42, 46, 50. Coughlin retires on top and Nick Saban coming off his own championship becomes the next head coach

I agree with everything except Saban. Fuck that guy and Bama. Lol.

Those are some bold predictions Jim... What are you on? :P