SportsWrath

Patrick Willis, Justin Smith retiring from 49ers

Mr. P

The San Francisco 49ers continue to see dramatic changes in a franchise only a year removed from three straight NFC title game appearances.

From coach Jim Harbaugh leaving (mutually or otherwise) to running back Frank Gore signing with the Eagles on Tuesday to the unexpected departure of receiver Michael Crabtree to the possible loss of guard Mike Iupati, the exodus of talented players continue.

The next two dominoes to fall will be linebacker Patrick Willis and defensive lineman Justin Smith.

Willis is the surprise that was referred to earlier today, and it’s a major one. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reports Willis is strongly considering retirement. As PFT hears it, it’s a done deal, with the formal announcement coming Tuesday.

Per multiple league sources, Smith also is done — although that’s not a surprise. The 14-year veteran joined the 49ers as a free agent in 2008, and he had been in many respects the cornerstone of the defense.

Willis, a first-round pick in 2008 who turned 30 in January, is under contract through 2016. Smith is under contract through 2015. Their retirements could result in the partial repayment of bonus money they both previously received; whether that issue will be pursued will be up the to 49ers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/patrick-willis-justin-smith-retiring-from-49ers/

Chris Borland is good too, for sure... but Mike Tomsula totally reminds me of Ray Handley. Take away all the players they're losing and the strength of their division and I see a 5-11 season on the horizon.

Chris Borland is good too, for sure... but Mike Tomsula totally reminds me of Ray Handley. Take away all the players they're losing and the strength of their division and I see a 5-11 season on the horizon.

Borland is good when used correctly. He can't cover a receiver for beans. They also lost Gore, I think. The team is being ripped apart at the core. It's like the Florida Marlins. There's a rumor they were shopping Kaepernick.

yeah jason worilds who i was hoping we'd end up with. he's a good player and hasn't had that first big contract either. i guess these guys are saving their money and getting out before their brains are scrambled. good for them

What with all these young guys retiring early? Jake Locher and some 27 year old LB for the Steelers just retired.

I'm guessing it has to do with all these head injuries and the health issues that appear later in life.