Bigblue25

http://espn.go.com/n...ade-sources-say

Updated: February 18, 2012, 11:34 AM ET

Sources: A.J. Burnett trade awaits OK

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

State Of The Yankees

Andrew Marchand and Wallace Matthews break down the Yankees' roster heading into Spring Training.Burnett Traded

VIDEO PLAYLIST video2.png

The Pirates and New York Yankees have agreed to a trade that would send right-hander A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh, sources said.

The Pirates will send right-handed reliever Diego Moreno and outfielder Exicardo Cayones to New York in return, sources said. Moreno, a 25-year-old from Venezuela, has split the past two seasons between the Class A and Double-A minor league teams. Cayones, who is 20, spent 2011 in Class A.

Matthews: A.J. Worth Every Penny

matthews_wallace_m.jpg The New York Yankees may have banished enigmatic A.J. Burnett to the Pittsburgh Pirates, but on one October night he earned his keep, writes ESPNNewYork.com's Wallace Matthews. Story

Law: Burnett a shrewd acquisition in.gif

Stats & Info: Burnett with Yanks

The deal is pending approval from the baseball commissioner's office, which is needed because of the money involved. The Pirates will pay $13 million of the $31.1 million remaining on Burnett's contract, sources said (Burnett is on a year-round contract and already has been paid $1.9 million in 2012).

That approval was not given Friday night -- the deal was finalized too late in the day for that -- and a source involved in the negotiations told ESPNNewYork.com's Wallace Matthews that official approval from commissioner Bud Selig probably would not come before Monday afternoon or perhaps Tuesday.

As a Yankee the past three seasons, Burnett is 34-35 with a 4.79 ERA. He is 121-111 with a 4.10 ERA in 13 seasons with the Yankees, Blue Jays and Marlins.

As soon as the Burnett deal is done, the Yankees will begin the aggressive pursuit of a veteran designated hitter, sources said.

Sources said there is a good deal of sentiment within the Yankees organization to go after Raul Ibanez -- who wants to play for the team -- to be their designated hitter against right-handers, partly because they believe he can give them some days of outfield play.

Although Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui are also available, they are generally regarded as unplayable defensively, sources said.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

espn.go.com

• 4 months later...

Yeah AJ. Thanks for going 9-2 in your 12 starts since the trade!!! Why the fuck do pitchers get crazy good after they leave the yanks??? Do teams play extra hard when facing the yanks???

There is no pressure in Pittsburgh, not like in NY anyway. He's not in his head anymore and can just pitch. I'm happy for him.

yes they are...and they would have won the NL West by 15 games each of the last 5 years.

Interesting thing I read in the spring

Over the last 6 years, Toronto has been rated the 4th or 5th best team in baseball, and they've never made the playoffs. They consistently have good Lineups and 500 teams.

Burnett had one good year in Toronto, thats it, just one...and it wasnt anything too great either. he has always been a guy thats stuff never translated to effectiveness. He has been a mediocre pitcher for his career.

As for titles over conference wins..well, I assume you are aware that the best/better team doesnt always win the title. One five or seven game series is an extremely small sample size.

Thanks for proving my point. Burnett did well in Toronto, an AL East team.

As for the disparage to the NL - yawn, i prefer titles to Conference wins.

Are you trying to argue that the AL East has not been by far the best offensive division in baseball the last decade?

Are you trying to argue that the AL East has not been by far the best offensive division in baseball the last decade?

No, I'm not. You implied that Burnett is doing well because he's out of the AL East. I was merely pointing out that he had success with Toronto, an AL East team.

No, I'm not. You implied that Burnett is doing well because he's out of the AL East. I was merely pointing out that he had success with Toronto, an AL East team.

I wouldnt call what burnett did in the AL East (Toronto and Yankees) a success...he seasons were either bad, mediocre, good only once(and it wasnt that good, wins are not indicative of how good a pitcher is) and hurt a lot.

Oh ok, yea he shut down the yanks and sox while he was there