SportsWrath

Report: Bill Belichick 'wants to be the Giants coach' if he leaves Patriots

Gman329

Just when I think I've considered every over the top, outrageous possibility. This from SNY. Know what? Recalling the way Hoodie bailed on the Jets to go to New England, he's not adverse to sudden change. This might not be so far fetched. Discuss.

The Giants were in New England today to interview the Patriots' offensive and defensive coordinators, but could they have a shot to steal away their head coach instead?

Yes, the great Bill Belichick may be on the open market after news broke from ESPN that there is a power struggle between Belichick, QB Tom Brady, and Patriots owner Robert Kraft. The rift appears to have Belichick on one side, and Brady and Kraft on the other.

A source close to Belichick says the Patriots' head coach understands this could be his only shot to return to Big Blue, according to the NY Daily News' Gary Myers.

"I'm sure Bill knows this is his last chance to be the Giants coach," the source said. "Bill sees an opening -- an opening to get to the Giants."

The source continued by saying Belichick definitely wants to be New York's coach, and believes him and new GM Dave Gettleman would make a great pair.

"He wants to be the Giants coach. I know that for a fact," the source said. "That would be pretty cool. My guess is if he wants out, the Giants already know. He would be great with Gettleman. Bill is a football guy. Gettleman is a football guy."

One of the main instances that has caused tension was when Kraft forced Belichick to trade fromer backup to Brady, Jimmy Garappolo, to the 49ers at the trade deadline. The Patriots received only a second-round draft pick in return, and Belichick was reportedly furious he had to do it. He viewed Garappolo as the team's future, but Brady believes he can play into his mid-40s, so Garappolo wouldn't be needed. Belichick wanted Garappolo for the future, but Kraft and Brady had different feelings.

Also, there was always some tension between Belichick and Brady's trainer, Alex Guerrero, who used to receive special privileges like standing on the sideline during games, or having an all-access pass to the team's facility. However, Belichick stopped that this season.

Belichick, Kraft, and Brady released a joint statement Friday to address the news they refer to as "flate out inaccurate."

If Belichick manages to leak free of the Patriots, the Giants should make a bite on him. He spent 12 years with the franchise, six as the team's defensive coordinator under former head coach Bill Parcells.

"This is a great organization," Belichick said back in 2009 when he walked around the Giants facility. "It's hard not to get choked up about it. I loved it here. I loved it here."

raw.jpgScott Thompson, SNY.tv | Twitter |

I would bet you all the money in the world if the rumors are true and Belichick somehow breaks free of Kraft's death grip, the Giants put all of their chips out on the table and go after him. Because that's what you do when the best coach in NFL history is open for hire.

The team's open position could be perfect timing, too. Forget the Super Bowl loses. Belichick loves the Giants and everything the organization stands for. For him to break down the stern facade and tear up walking around the building a few years ago certainly says something. I'm sure if Belichick got the call from Mara and Gettleman to come down and interview for the job, it would be the first stop on the long list of interviews he would be bound to receive.

His track record speaks for itself, so I won't go into why he would make this Giants team better on the field. But, with off-the-field and character issues being a problem this season, Belichick would put a halt to it immediately. The man commands respect, and those who don't dish it out won't be tolerated. That is the way it should be between the coach and players, and you all have seen what happens when everyone is on the same page in New England...

I've preached that having a younger coach has been the trend in professional sports, and that the Giants could benefit from having someone like Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia in charge. But I'll take years and years of winning with Belichick over youth any day of the week.

If -- and that's a really big if at this point -- Belichick is available, the Giants need to do what they can to get him in a sleeveless Big Blue hoodie on the sideline every Sunday. It could very well lead to a new era in football where the Giants sit atop the NFL.

I agree, our #2 overall this year would be tough to part with......but if you have a chance to get arguably the greatest coach of all time, you make it happen. And while odds are probably against it, I don't think it's all that far fetched. Belichick has a huge ego and is furious that Kraft sided with Brady and made him trade Garraffalo. He's also had it with Brady calling too many shots, like with the trainer....and Brady is tired of Belichick calling him out harshly in film sessions, just to illustrate that everybody is accountable. Combine that with his love of the Giants and their whole organization and yeah, I could see it happening.

I agree, our #2 overall this year would be tough to part with......but if you have a chance to get arguably the greatest coach of all time, you make it happen. And while odds are probably against it, I don't think it's all that far fetched. Belichick has a huge ego and is furious that Kraft sided with Brady and made him trade Garraffalo. He's also had it with Brady calling too many shots, like with the trainer....and Brady is tired of Belichick calling him out harshly in film sessions, just to illustrate that everybody is accountable. Combine that with his love of the Giants and their whole organization and yeah, I could see it happening.

Agreed....but I'd do that #1 to get him if need be....I mean holy fuck...the GOAT.....and its not even close...a GOATwho wants to prove that its not the "Patriots way"...its the "Bellchick way".....fuck yes.

Also....dont the 9'ers need to resign Garraffalo.....or did he extend when he went there. I thought the reason the Pats moved him was because his contract was about up....I mean....getting Mr. Hoodie...who would have the inside shot at getting that guy.

I am not seeing where the debate on the slotting or even the number of draft choices is even an issue.

You do this.

C. Wagon

Honestly this story sounds like complete bullshit. I have stated before the only person in the Patriots organization worth getting is Belichick. Holding out for that faint possibility could take a month. Nobody knows the details about Belichick's contract so I find the discussion about it costing us not a draft pick but The draft pick... premature.

I would not put it past the Patriots to create this kind of story to keep their coordinators from conflict and jumping ship at this critical moment.

Agreed....but I'd do that #1 to get him if need be....I mean holy fuck...the GOAT.....and its not even close...a GOATwho wants to prove that its not the "Patriots way"...its the "Bellchick way".....fuck yes.

Also....dont the 9'ers need to resign Garraffalo.....or did he extend when he went there. I thought the reason the Pats moved him was because his contract was about up....I mean....getting Mr. Hoodie...who would have the inside shot at getting that guy.

I am not seeing where the debate on the slotting or even the number of draft choices is even an issue.

You do this.

C. Wagon

niners can and probably will franchise him. and it's

Garoppolo

unless you're talking about the cute comedienne.

So...for one year.....gives Eli another year...and Hoodie gets him in 2019.

I am Still in. .....you think she is cute...and a comedian?

C. Wagon

I think the 9ers will sign him long term eventually. maybe even this off season. fans think he's second coming of steve young. they won't say montana bc he is the unspoken one. I haven't seen her in a while but she used to be, why? are you now searching for one of those without makeup photos?

I think the 9ers will sign him long term eventually. maybe even this off season. fans think he's second coming of steve young. they won't say montana bc he is the unspoken one. I haven't seen her in a while but she used to be, why? are you now searching for one of those without makeup photos?

Good for the 9ers....the guy is going to be the next big thing.

I used to like her too...then saw that movie "Dogs and Cats"....date night...only movie I ever walked out of...and I went to "Battlefield Earth"....disliked her ever since

Anyway...back to Hoodie....we let Lombardi and Landry get away and it practically ruined my (and I assume your) childhood...any shot at him has to be taken...any shot.,,,he could lock us for our golden years Fringe.

C.W agon

Wait... did I understand from some of the comments here that we may have to part with #2 pick (our 1st round pick)? Someone's gotta explain this shit to me because if Belicheck wants out, he can force an out.. this is not a player we need to trade for...