SportsWrath

QB prospect comparison

Nas

Saw in the NY Post today a chart comparing Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen.

Mayfield is clearly the best.... 70.5% completion, 4,600 yards... 43 TDs to only 6 INTs....

Rosen and Donald both have 63% completion %, 3800 and 4100 yards respectively, each had 26 TDs, and 10 & 13 INTs respectively.....

I dont care Mayfield is 6 1.... hes far better and the stats prove it.

Can't look at stats alone. In fact, they can be very misleading. Check out some game film via youtube on them (not highlights, but play by play game film). Right now, I lean towards Rosen due to better decision making, poise in pocket, and what I see as slightly better passing form (lots of overthrows or passes floated by Darnold). Though, my caution on Rosen is, the past two years he's been somewhat injury prone. People say he has some character/personality concerns as well.

Darnold may turn out fine, but as of right now, I think Rosen is better. That could change as the draft/offseason combine and workout process proceeds.

Do you think we are over rating these guys and this is not a generational draft? I am not saying here, but in general. It kind of scares me with the 4 big names that are coming out of college. I don't see this as even close to the Manning, Rivers, and Rothlesburger draft.

Saw in the NY Post today a chart comparing Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen.

Mayfield is clearly the best.... 70.5% completion, 4,600 yards... 43 TDs to only 6 INTs....

Rosen and Donald both have 63% completion %, 3800 and 4100 yards respectively, each had 26 TDs, and 10 & 13 INTs respectively.....

You should run the draft for Cleveland. Did you ever see Ron Dayne's college stats?

Oh gosh... Nas, have you seen OK play? The next pass Mayfield throws into a window will be his first. I haven't seen a single NFL level throw out of him, ever.

I don't get the Brees comp, I remember watching Brees at Purdue, he could land the ball on a dime. Never any doubt about his passing ability. If you want to compare anybody in this draft to Brees, its Rosen, not Mayfield.

I can't get excited about this lot to be honest . i don't really want any of them to be our franchise QB for the next decade

None of these 4 have a chance in Hell behind a terrible O line.

Forget drafting a QB , keep Eli for 2 more years at least ......trade down for multiple picks and fix the bloody trenches first.

I can't get excited about this lot to be honest . i don't really want any of them to be our franchise QB for the next decade

Forget drafting a QB , keep Eli for 2 more years at least ......trade down for multiple picks and fix the bloody trenches first.

That's true, but I also don't envision the rookie QB starting this year (or if he does, it will be because we suck so bad that we're not making the playoffs anyway) because Eli should still be around. Either way, OL is definitely an offseason priority, but there are currently no #2 worthy OL that I've seen (I'd be willing to trade down though), and Darnold or Rosen may be too good to pass on.

Practically speaking, I lean towards drafting Rosen because I think the giants are more than just a few FA/Draft moves away from making the playoffs, and the playoffs next year, given the state of our O-Line especially, are unlikely in my view. Draft the potential QB of the future, then this offseason and next build around him. We need to sign/draft 3-4 starting capable OL anyway, this year and/or next. We really only have one okay starter on this roster (Brett Jones) and currently 4 open OL positions.

They should go for Barclay in the 1st then get OL in 2&3 if they have those picks. You can live with Eli for another year or two. You could supplement by trading Beckham for another contract controllable WR and a high draft pick

Do you think we are over rating these guys and this is not a generational draft? I am not saying here, but in general. It kind of scares me with the 4 big names that are coming out of college. I don't see this as even close to the Manning, Rivers, and Rothlesburger draft.

These players are absolutely overrated, so was the last class and the next class. We'll have more information on these guys after the combine.

That's the problem with every draft.

The NFL is a QB driven league period, there is no team that is successful consistently that has a average QB at the helm.

However there are only a handful of franchise caliber QBs in the NFL at any given time, usually only around 10 or 12. The rest of the NFL has to pick through scraps of FA or take a flyer on a kid in the draft and hope they become one of those guys.

I mean if any of these QBs were able to repeat the success in college at the pro level then all 32 teams in the league would be set, but very rarely does a draft even produce a single franchise QB, mostly just serviceable players who hold the position for a few years until the team looks elsewhere.

To be perfectly honest, none of these prospects hold a candle to the '04 draft, but it's a risk the Giants will have to take if they want to replace Eli someday.

I have a feeling that if we don't take one of these two QB's, we'll end up regretting it. Right now, I don't see anyone else worth taking at the #2 spot (whether it's RB, OL or elsewhere). I'm open to trading down though, particularly since we have so many gaping holes on the OL, and to a slightly lesser extent at LB and CB.

Either way, trading down or not, QB or not, I still say we need to fill 4 starting OL spots this offseason, and I don't think we can automatically assume round 3 or later draft picks are starters this year.

Someone here said not to trust a PSU back. I only hope he doesn't get picked by anyone in the NFC East besides the Eagles. The man is a force.

Ki Jing Carter was a force , a lot of the PSU RBs where forces.

They should go for Barclay in the 1st

If we could trade down to #5 or #6 and still get Saquon Barkley and a few extra picks i would do it in a flash.

( to be honest Mayfield will probably be there anyway for insurance at #5 or #6 so it is probably not that much of a risk )

i just don't really love either Rosen or Darnold at #2

Big Dave G will probably come to an agreement with Eli to restructure his contract for a couple of years ( since Eli seems to want to stay in New York and will be flexible i reckon ) . How else are we going to start to fix the O line without picks ( we cant do it all in FA )

If we could trade down to #5 or #6 and still get Saquon Barkley and a few extra picks i would do it in a flash.

( to be honest Mayfield will probably be there anyway for insurance at #5 or #6 so it is probably not that much of a risk )

i just don't really love either Rosen or Darnold at #2

Big Dave G will probably come to an agreement with Eli to restructure his contract for a couple of years ( since Eli seems to want to stay in New York and will be flexible i reckon ) . How else are we going to start to fix the O line without picks ( we cant do it all in FA )

I'd prefer we trade down and pick an OL, considering the four holes we have at that position, and as you said, likely not all can be filled via FA alone (at least, not all in one year).

I'm very weary about selecting RBs very high, without the requisite offense line. Guys like Gurley, Elliot, Kamara etc all play behind very capable offensive lines, and Kamara is more of a pass catching back than all round RB.

Also consider the strong possibility that either the Colts, Browns (with their #4), Broncos, Bucs, could all potentially draft Barkley....so we very well may not be able to trade down and still get him, if we want him.

Best case scenario is one of those teams trades with us and we draft Orlando Brown, OT, and pick up a boatload of other picks, including a 2nd rounder.

Im also a little shaky on the qbs. After watching more YouTube I can see why everyone is gaga over Darnold but he seems like a bit of a project. I hate the rumors about Rosens love for the game. Even mayfield looks like hes being protected in Oklahoma. Nobody blows me away

Im also a little shaky on the qbs. After watching more YouTube I can see why everyone is gaga over Darnold but he seems like a bit of a project. I hate the rumors about Rosens love for the game. Even mayfield looks like hes being protected in Oklahoma. Nobody blows me away

Agreed. Trade down for an OL.