SportsWrath

Fix the Giants.

Sephiroth

If you were GM, what would you do with the Giants right now? My interest in football has definitely waned quite a bit the past five years or so, but I still think it's fun to talk about. I'm not sure any of my ideas are even plausible, but in a perfect world, here's what I'd do:

As far as the team goes already - I'd get what I could for Apple. I don't think he can repair the bridges he's burned. You might only get a fifth for him, but it's better than releasing him outright. I'd tell Eli that he either needs to take a significant pay cut (be paid slightly more than his cap hit if we traded him) or see what we can get for him in a trade. While I feel he can still play, he's 37 and that can fall apart in an instant at his age... and let's keep it real, guys paid like he's being paid aren't usually the captain of 3-13 teams. I'd want a fourth for him minimum, but would obviously push hard for better. If Eli leaves, find an Alex-Smith type or one of the Minnesota castoffs to hold the fort while we groom Webb or somebody young.

For the O-line, I'd let Richburg walk but try to keep Pugh for continuity. If Pugh can't/won't stay, I'd go after the best FA guard on the market, or a good swing tackle/guard. I'd like Fluker back on a two-year, cap friendly deal, and keep Jones around for another year (I think he actually played better than Richburg). Flowers can stay since he's cheap but I'd certainly bring in competition for him and/or think about moving him to the right side.

The WRs and TEs I'd leave alone, but might think about asking Ellison to take a pay cut. He's a blocking TE making receiving TE money.

I'd keep the D-line as is, and maybe take Kennard if he'll play for a lowball deal. Literally all the other LBs can go (again... that unit fucking sucks). I'd love Vontaze Burfict but I don't feel like he's a Gettleman guy... but we need a QB in the middle on defense, and have since Pierce left. DRC and Jenkins I think should both stick around. I'd extend Collins now; he's been up and down, but he's definitely a young leader on this team and honestly the team needs him.

As far as draft and FA, I'd start with getting the meanest, toughest Guard or we can find; someone we can plug in and get a yard on third-and-one for the next five years. I love the kid out of Notre Dame but #2 is a bit high to pick him. I think we should take the future QB at #2 and the best guard we can find in round 2. In the next few rounds, get an NFL-caliber MLB and maybe another interior OL (would love to see a big, strong, developmental C for when Jones leaves in a year). We need a power running back too... I wouldn't mind getting one in a trade or late in the draft. And for Christ's sakes, can we please keep a blocking FB on the team?

I'd build around a general philosophy of power running on offense, and asking Eli or a young guy to throw the ball maybe 25 times a game. Three yards and a cloud of dust, but also have the threat of a quick strike from Odell or Engram. On defense, rush the passer (always a problem with these guys) and let your NFL-caliber MLB and Collins swarm to the ball and/or cover the TE in the middle. Our DBs can cover and so should be fine there.

That's the Sephiroth plan. :TU:

1... cut Apple. Dude cannot be on this team anymore.

2... make it clear to Flowers that his position isn't anywhere near as secure as he thinks it is and that if he want to remain a football player (not just a New York Giant) he need to fall in line.

3... make it clear to Beckham that football and proper football is THE PRIORITY. Not his paycheck, not Instagram, not Beiber, none of that shit. If he needs a mentor... get him one and get him focused on winning.

4... 3 contracts need to be restructured. Eli, Jenkins, and Vernon.

5... TARGET RT, RG, LT in free agency (haven't looked at who's available but I know Solder is gonna cost too much). Also DL Depth. Guys like Cockrell need to return as hebcoukd play the role of a Sam Madison or Deon Grant.

6... ideally I would figure out a way to get Cleveland to trade up to our 2nd pick and get their 4th and one of their 2nd rounders this year and maybe a pick next year. (Remembering the Eli-Rivers trade we got Eli for Rivers, a 1st and a 5th or something. By that logic we could swap picks for similar). And draft the Best QB available. After that with our 2 2nds we could go after 2 talents that slipped out of the 1st or use them to trade back into the 1st if we see someone else we really like.

Can't really go into everything as I haven't had a chance to see everyone available... and we haven't even selected a coach yet, but in a perfect world this is what I'd do.

Cuts: Marshall, Jerry, Harris, Apple.

Priorities: OL, LB, DB

Note, I'm not set on Rosen and am open to trading down to acquire more draft picks.

QB - Manning, Rosen, Webb.

RB - Darkwa, Gallman, Perkins, Late round draft pick or low priced FA.

WR - ODB, Shepard, Sign a veteran capable #3, WR #4, #5+ via late round draft or low priced FA and/or best on existing roster.

TE - Engram, Ellison, Adams.

OL - C Brett Jones, RG Fluker (Draft high and/or bring in three starting capable lineman to fill out the two T spots and the Guard spot). Flowers as backup or option of last resort at LT. Resign Pugh at for cheap on a one year "prove it" deal if you can, and put him at or LG.

DE - JPP, Vernon, Moss, Okwara.

DT - Harrison, Tomlinson, Thomas, late round pick or low priced FA for depth.

LB - SLB Kennard (resign for cheap), MLB Goodson, WLB (Sign quality, starting capable FA), also sign quality FA depth. Draft high or mid-rounds at this position, and draft in volume.

CB - Jenkins, DRC (at a significant pay cut, or sign starting capable FA), Cockrell (re-sign). Draft high or mid-rounds at this position, and draft in volume.

FS - Adams, Thompson.

SS - Collins, sign low priced FA or late round draft pick.