SportsWrath

New Manningham Comments

Mr. P

Buh-bye, Mario.

Between our two Pro Bowl caliber guys and our developmental talent (Barden and Jernigan) we don't have to break the bank for the guy who Eli throws 50% of his picks to.

Man... I am just amazed at how the Giants have evolved. Remember back in the day before we had all of this WR talent and depth...we would be breaking the bank for a guy like Mario as if he were the reincarnation of Del Shofner or Homer Jones. I am so happy we have the luxury of letting a middling talent like Mario walk. :)

Man... I am just amazed at how the Giants have evolved. Remember back in the day before we had all of this WR talent and depth...we would be breaking the bank for a guy like Mario as if he were the reincarnation of Del Shofner or Homer Jones. I am so happy we have the luxury of letting a middling talent like Mario walk. :)

i'm not sure about jerrigan but i've yet to see anything resembling "development" out of barden.

Manningham has already had the best day of his career ........he is 'as thick as a brick ' ........let him chase the money ......and good luck to him .......he drops too may big balls and runs a lot of bad routes too ....i'm just thankful that he caught the really big one for our team

bye bye now

Buh-bye, Mario.

Between our two Pro Bowl caliber guys and our developmental talent (Barden and Jernigan) we don't have to break the bank for the guy who Eli throws 50% of his picks to.

Is Steve Smith healthy... Plax? Not saying we should or shouldn't sign either one but if the price is right.. why not.

At the end of the day, I'm not overly comfortable letting just Barden and Jerrigan compete for the 3rd WR spot. If Devin Thomas or Dominik Hixon come back, I'm slightly more confident that we'll be just fine without MM. I still wouldn't mind a later round draft pick on a WR.

To the poster who commented that the Giants have the luxury of being able to let him walk without missing a whole lot, I agree. He was a VERY, VERY good 3rd WR. He could probably be a mediocre to good #2. If he was the least bit intelligent, he could probably be a #1 on SOME team. But I agree too with those who've said that he'll probably not reach his full potential.

That said, he did some good things for us and I wish him the best...right up until we meet him again, at which point, I hope we knock his fucking head off.

Giants fan, circa 1995: God damn it! Could we JUST ONCE throw the ball on first down!

Giants fan, present-day: God damn it! Do we have to throw the ball EVERY first down!

Giants fan, circa 1995: God damn it! Could we JUST ONCE throw the ball on first down!

Giants fan, present-day: God damn it! Do we have to throw the ball EVERY first down!

:LMAO: You mean the predecessor Sean Peyton's Ultimate Shift Offense was not a scoring machine man?

Or maybe he's injured a lot and has been buried down the depth chart since he's got here and no one knows for sure? Just like was the story the last time everyone bitched about Barden.

i don't bitch about him. He was a 3rd round pick(?) from a very small school (football wise) with height. He was worth the pick. But was a project and will fight for a roster spot next year and probably lose.

i don't bitch about him. He was a 3rd round pick(?) from a very small school (football wise) with height. He was worth the pick. But was a project and will fight for a roster spot next year and probably lose.

I didn't mean to single you out, sorry.

I know I am going to get the "if he was good enough, he'd beat out somebody like Manningham and see playing time"....but honestly, I just don't think he has, or ever will, get the reps with Eli to be comfortable enough with the offense nor have the rapport with him to have the ball ever thrown to him....I just think it has a good deal to do with the fact that a guy like Nicks isn't going to be beat out for a starting position and then you have last year's starter/3rd man, Manningham, who has the experience and put up solid #2 numbers last year, and then the emergence of Cruz, and the fact that Barden was behind Hixon and probably even Devin Thomas during the offseason and then throw in the lockout....

It has been the absolute worst time to be a development/project type player, completely agree.

I do think he has the talent to play at a high level and do great things for this team. And I really don't understand why we don't at least get him in on red zone opportunities because it sure seems to me that we were putting up 3 from inside the 20 an awful lot. Another thing, it seems Giant's coaches prefer to keep special teams WRs like Devin Thomas and Jerrell Jernigan active on game day as opposed to the situation 6' whatever, development WR.

I didn't mean to single you out, sorry.

I know I am going to get the "if he was good enough, he'd beat out somebody like Manningham and see playing time"....but honestly, I just don't think he has, or ever will, get the reps with Eli to be comfortable enough with the offense nor have the rapport with him to have the ball ever thrown to him....I just think it has a good deal to do with the fact that a guy like Nicks isn't going to be beat out for a starting position and then you have last year's starter/3rd man, Manningham, who has the experience and put up solid #2 numbers last year, and then the emergence of Cruz, and the fact that Barden was behind Hixon and probably even Devin Thomas during the offseason and then throw in the lockout....

It has been the absolute worst time to be a development/project type player, completely agree.

I do think he has the talent to play at a high level and do great things for this team. And I really don't understand why we don't at least get him in on red zone opportunities because it sure seems to me that we were putting up 3 from inside the 20 an awful lot. Another thing, it seems Giant's coaches prefer to keep special teams WRs like Devin Thomas and Jerrell Jernigan active on game day as opposed to the situation 6' whatever, development WR.

Another thing that gets me about the coaching staff... Gilbride loves fade routes near the goal line. That route is PERFECT for someone with Barden's size, but even when he was active for games the fade would go to Nicks or Manningham.

Another thing that gets me about the coaching staff... Gilbride loves fade routes near the goal line. That route is PERFECT for someone with

Barden's size, but even when he was active for

games the fade would go to Nicks or

Manningham.

I hear you but

http://m.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/11/16/sports/photos_stories/ramses_barden--300x300.jpg

Another thing that gets me about the coaching staff... Gilbride loves fade routes near the goal line. That route is PERFECT for someone with Barden's size, but even when he was active for games the fade would go to Nicks or Manningham.

Because Barden can't get off the line. Which is key down by the end zone, anywhere really.

Because Barden can't get off the line. Which is key down by the end zone, anywhere really.

Yea that's probly his biggest problem. He really has struggled getting off the line, he lacks that explosive first two steps and doesn't really have a quick step move or a size up move. He needs to develop some fakes and most importantly he must learn how to use his size to physically dominate NFL DB's. Who knows maybe he catches 8 Tds next year, probably not. Dude doesn't play STs either. Sucks cuZ the size, and hands are there. Decent top speed too.

It's weird, really. At 6'6" I'm quite sure his arms are longer than whoever is guarding him. Just come off the line right at the defender, give him a strong push in the chest, and go. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying it, and he's tried it. Really though, I don't know how any of us have been able to see enough of his play to make informed criticisms. Hopefully we see plenty of him in preseason if he can keep himself healthy. It would be nice if he became the big play target next year that saw some action. We'll see what happens in the draft and free agency, how this WR corps shakes out prior to next season, but as of now he should get an opportunity to make a significant move up the depth chart.