SportsWrath

What really worries me

Storm

This team has devoted so much in the draft to the defense and there isnt even an inkling of talent flashing. That is extremely concerning. It means that either the scheme and defensive coaching isnt putting them in position to make plays or the scouting department is woefully inept. I just dont get how a team so young and fast can look so lost. Im hoping next year will be a different story but the need is just so great on that side of the ball. They need two defensive ends to pair with the 4 nose tackles they have, two of which are trying to play DE. They have to replace Bethea because hes awful. They arent getting returns out of Lorenzo Carter. Ogletree isnt getting younger and he seems far away from the turnover machine he was last year. And janoris Jenkins not anyone behind him dont match up well with teams number ones with any consistency.

This team has devoted so much in the draft to the defense and there isnt even an inkling of talent flashing. That is extremely concerning. It means that either the scheme and defensive coaching isnt putting them in position to make plays or the scouting department is woefully inept. I just dont get how a team so young and fast can look so lost. Im hoping next year will be a different story but the need is just so great on that side of the ball. They need two defensive ends to pair with the 4 nose tackles they have, two of which are trying to play DE. They have to replace Bethea because hes awful. They arent getting returns out of Lorenzo Carter. Ogletree isnt getting younger and he seems far away from the turnover machine he was last year. And janoris Jenkins not anyone behind him dont match up well with teams number ones with any consistency.

There are a few bright spots. Not enough, but a few guys to build on.

There are a couple guys I expected to be okay this year that have regressed. Ogletree is top of the list. Unfortunately I suspect Ogletree was a right place, right time beneficiary last season. But on top of that, he's looked more confused and a step slower this season. Although, after seeing a few film reviews I think one of the plays I thought he blew was actually Tae Davis, who was so far away from the play that you'd have never guessed from the broadcast view that it was his man running free. Which brings me to Tae Davis, you get a UDFA winning a starting spot, you expect him to improve in his next season... not even close. And speaking of UDFAs we thought would contribute, Grant Haley looks about two steps too slow this season.

I'm not even going to pick on the other DBs. Jenkins is better than most people think, so far this year at least, but we'll see if he keeps up his level of focus on a bad defense. That's kind of been his MO, he embraces the shit when he's on a shit team. And the rest of them are what we should have expected.

But BJ Hill is playing very good football. Lawrence has not had any splash plays, but he looks great about three plays out of four (on the fourth he's getting double teamed unaware and washed out of the play, but that will get better). Tomlinson probably won't get a second contract, but he's serviceable. I'm not worried about that group. With effective edge rushers, we'd see those guys get their share of mop up sacks. I think their theory of controlling the interior with a few huge bodied athletic defensive linemen is very sound, but because there are so many holes on the back end of the D and there's nobody in the front that is going to win with just one step, they're not stopping anybody, far too many weaknesses to exploit.

Yeah I think we've all said it before this year was going to be rough with a defense full of rookies especially if they don't produce week 1.

Lawrence has been a big hog molly helping clog up the middle but so far I've seen nothing from him that he can't be handled one on ove by a guard, like all the draft pundits said he's a two down run stuffer not a pass rusher.

Baker is going to need time along with Ballentine and Love but it doesn't help us this year.

Lorenzo Carter as you said with all this "oh he's tearing up camp" has been very underwhelming thus far.

I think they need to put Oshane on full time and just tell him to rush non stop might lead to come break downs but we need to see what we have in the rookies as a pass rusher.

And also your right about Bethea and to the same extent Peppers both were supposed to be "vet" presences and full time starters back there, so far it looks like we might as well have C.C. Brown back there with how both of them have played.

The only positive I can see on the year is that the run defense has been much improved with better play from BJ Hill and Tomlinson and we may finally have a LB in Connelly.