SportsWrath

Mets sign Jason Bay

RandolphScott

Bengie Molina does suck... Maybe he's better than Brian Schneider, but whats that really saying? Molina has some pop, but he barely gets on base... And you need hitters to get on base for them to be considered good (at least in my opinion, and in the opinion of most who study the game). OBP and OPS are infinitely more valuable in judging players than batting average is, and Molina's are among the worst in the league for starting players. Jesus, I haven't looked at his offensive performance in a long, long time, but they are just god-awful... Good, or even mediocre hitters don't fail to get on base 30 percent of the time, its just not done... Thats not adequate even for a catcher.

Bengie Molina does suck... Maybe he's better than Brian Schneider, but whats that really saying? Molina has some pop, but he barely gets on base... And you need hitters to get on base for them to be considered good (at least in my opinion, and in the opinion of most who study the game). OBP and OPS are infinitely more valuable in judging players than batting average is, and Molina's are among the worst in the league for starting players. Jesus, I haven't looked at his offensive performance in a long, long time, but they are just god-awful... Good, or even mediocre hitters don't fail to get on base 30 percent of the time, its just not done... Thats not adequate even for a catcher.

I liked him when he was with the Angels. I even rated him above Varitek as the best in the AL. I wouldn't worry about the low OBP. That's not what he's about. Think pitching. And as Blu says, he's clutch. Who would know better than someone who sees him every day? Besides, Blu likes him even though he doesn't believe a catcher can make a difference with a pitching staff.

I liked him when he was with the Angels. I even rated him above Varitek as the best in the AL. I wouldn't worry about the low OBP. That's not what he's about. Think pitching. And as Blu says, he's clutch. Who would know better than someone who sees him every day? Besides, Blu likes him even though he doesn't believe a catcher can make a difference with a pitching staff.

did i say that?

anyway for bulls on parade, i think you have to take into account that he was batting clean up- (not his best suited role) on the worst hitting team in the majors. the fact that he eeked out decent numbers with that team is pretty good. surround him with the likes of a 200 million payroll and you'd see better numbers. i won't argue that he swings at crap and never walks. but that's how he transformed himself into a decent hitter. and you really don't want him on the basepaths too much anyway.

Look if you got him for defense, thats fine.. I really don't know how he handles a pitching staff. If thats the priority then I guess this is a good move, but you can probably get someone great at that for a lot cheaper and less years. Molina won't add much offensively to a team. You guys should attempt to trade for one of the Texas catchers if you're serious about upgrading the position.

did i say that?

What? That he's clutch? Yes, you did. That you liked him? No, but you insinuated it. That you don't believe a catcher can make a difference with a pitching staff? Well, you once called catching gear the tools of ignorance, so yeah.

. That you don't believe a catcher can make a difference with a pitching staff? Well, you once called catching gear the tools of ignorance, so yeah.

ditto, you old goat -i didn't make that up it's a long standing baseball term- almost older than you even.

and how you get that i don't think catchers affect the pitching staff from that is a long strange trip. please don't put words in my mouth.

Catchers are expected to take their lumps without grumbling. But the early efforts of catchers to protect themselves met with a lot of flak. A typical reaction came from the crowd at the Polo Grounds when baseball's New York Giants opened the 1907 season against the Philadelphia Phillies. As the Giants took the field, star catcher Roger Bresnahan looked more like a goaltender than a backstop when he squatted behind the plate in a pair of thickly upholstered shin guards.

It was the first time a catcher had dared to don the protective gear in open view and the crowd's reaction came as quick as a foul tip and just as nasty.

"Spectators howled with delight when a foul tip in the fifth inning rapped the protectors sharply," reported The New York Times. Bresnahan, more concerned about his livelihood than remarks about his manliness, ignored the insults from fans and foes.

Bresnahan's shin guards were the final pieces of the catcher's armor, following the glove, mask and chest protector. This kit was lovingly dubbed "the tools of ignorance" by Herold "Muddy" Ruel, a lawyer turned backstop who caught for greats like Walter Johnson with the Washington Senators in the 1920s. Ruel probably would have stayed a mouthpiece if he'd caught in the late 1860s. The first piece of protection for catchers, a rubber mouth protector, dates to that era, purloined perhaps from the sport of bareknuckles boxing.

ditto, you old goat -i didn't make that up it's a long standing baseball term- almost older than you even.

and how you get that i don't think catchers affect the pitching staff from that is a long strange trip. please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm sorry if you're offended. I was just putting 2 and 2 together. In fact, since I considered you a true student of the game, I was shocked that you said it.

I don't know if it is older than me, but you're right, it is old.

I'm sorry if you're offended. I was just putting 2 and 2 together. In fact, since I considered you a true student of the game, I was shocked that you said it.

I don't know if it is older than me, but you're right, it is old.

:) no sweat.

as for bulls and hugh, there's a difference between the value of a player AL vs. NL that (and i hate to sound condescending) you guys will never get .

• 3 weeks later...

well- waddaya know- bengie's coming home.

A potential Met target is off the market. Free agent catcher Bengie Molina has agreed to a one-year contract with the Giants, the Daily News has confirmed. Molina will make $4.5 million, according to CBS 5 Sports in San Francisco, which first reported the news.<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Read more:http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2010/01/molina-a-giant.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fmets+%28Blogs%2FSurfing+the+Mets%29#ixzz0d6ld8mVh

well- waddaya know- bengie's coming home.

A potential Met target is off the market. Free agent catcher Bengie Molina has agreed to a one-year contract with the Giants, the Daily News has confirmed. Molina will make $4.5 million, according to CBS 5 Sports in San Francisco, which first reported the news.<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">Read more:http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2010/01/molina-a-giant.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fmets+%28Blogs%2FSurfing+the+Mets%29#ixzz0d6ld8mVh

Did he agree to try and teach that new catcher they were talking about. I don't know who. Poser?

Did he agree to try and teach that new catcher they were talking about. I don't know who. Poser?

Buster Posey. Probably, Bengie's a good soldier when he's happy. But, that's what coaches are for. Bochy calls every pitch anyway.

well, this is good for the mets and bad for the giants. oh, those giants cant seem to do anything right. Sabean has to be the worst gm in the game...and it really isnt even close. I feel bad for you blu..Id rather look at madusa than look at that giants line up for 162 games.

well, this is good for the mets and bad for the giants. oh, those giants cant seem to do anything right. Sabean has to be the worst gm in the game...and it really isnt even close. I feel bad for you blu..Id rather look at madusa than look at that giants line up for 162 games.

don't cry for me, havana- we'll be in the playoffs this year.

I cant tell if youre being sarcastic or not here. As good as their pitching could be(especially if Bumgarmer finds his velocity), theyre still going to need to score some runs and play defense. I cant beleive that Sabean actually resigned Molina, spent money on horrible players like Huff and DeRosa. How does this man have a job?

I cant tell if youre being sarcastic or not here. As good as their pitching could be(especially if Bumgarmer finds his velocity), theyre still going to need to score some runs and play defense. I cant beleive that Sabean actually resigned Molina, spent money on horrible players like Huff and DeRosa. How does this man have a job?

a lot of giants fans feel like you do about him. i feel he's done a decent job. pitching is what that park is built around. power hitters are afraid of coming here now and i think eventually, we'll have to move the fences in a bit to attract the power guy. otherwise, we'll be the braves of this decade.

if you look at the rest of the NL west, however, it may take less than 90 wins to take the division. dodgers are mired in a divorce and have 2 pitchers, colorado got weaker, Dbacks may be good, so if we improve 5 games over last year, we take the division.

• 8 months later...

snapback.pngHugh Gereckshun, on 20 January 2010 - 07:20 AM, said:

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">snapback.pngblunatic, on 20 January 2010 - 09:38 AM, said:

oh huey- you have some splainin to do. tongue.gif

snapback.pngHugh Gereckshun, on 20 January 2010 - 07:20 AM, said:

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">snapback.pngblunatic, on 20 January 2010 - 09:38 AM, said:

oh huey- you have some splainin to do. tongue.gif

not really dude...Molina does suck...and makes any team he plays for worse..I said that. DeRosa also sucks. I said that too(youre lucky he got hurt and found lightening in a bottle with pat once again the bat). And there isnt an intelligent person in baseball that would have predicted Aubrey Huff would have the season he's had..they guy is in his mid 30's and was downright awful 4 of the last 6 seasons. I knew Posey would hit, but when they signed Molina and Huff, I knew he wouldnt play. Obviously this was not Sebeans plan at the start of the season..he got very lucky...injuries and supreme suckage of Molina made this team what it is..and the pitching obviously. Sabean still sucks and I would never want him as my teams GM.

Oh,and even though they most likely will, the Giants havent made the playoffs just yet.

Congrats on a completely unexpected season though.

not really dude...Molina does suck...and makes any team he plays for worse..I said that. DeRosa also sucks. I said that too(youre lucky he got hurt and found lightening in a bottle with pat once again the bat). And there isnt an intelligent person in baseball that would have predicted Aubrey Huff would have the season he's had..they guy is in his mid 30's and was downright awful 4 of the last 6 seasons. I knew Posey would hit, but when they signed Molina and Huff, I knew he wouldnt play. Obviously this was not Sebeans plan at the start of the season..he got very lucky...injuries and supreme suckage of Molina made this team what it is..and the pitching obviously. Sabean still sucks and I would never want him as my teams GM.

Oh,and even though they most likely will, the Giants havent made the playoffs just yet.

Congrats on a completely unexpected season though.

I expected more from you- some grace. you dissapoint me amigo.

better hope your team wins this year. this is their swan song for a while.