SportsWrath

Giants Sign FB/TE Rhett Ellison

mastershake

Not for nothing, but there was no blocking TE on this team last year, no fullback, and our offense was terrible. Yes, our offense... if not for the phenom that is Odell Beckham JR turning five yard slants into 70 yard TDs, we probably would have been bottom-5 in that category as well.

We can't afford a top shelf LT, but we can afford a TE and fullback. I'm not going to fault the team for signing players that can block over the Will Tyes and Larry Donnells of the world. Yes, we still need help at Guard and RT, but if we can fix three positions for the price of one in regards to run-blocking, I'm totally OK with that.

If we can somehow land TJ Langford I'd be downright giddy with the pickups this offseason.

Not for nothing, but there was no blocking TE on this team last year, no fullback, and our offense was terrible. Yes, our offense... if not for the phenom that is Odell Beckham JR turning five yard slants into 70 yard TDs, we probably would have been bottom-5 in that category as well.

We can't afford a top shelf LT, but we can afford a TE and fullback. I'm not going to fault the team for signing players that can block over the Will Tyes and Larry Donnells of the world. Yes, we still need help at Guard and RT, but if we can fix three positions for the price of one in regards to run-blocking, I'm totally OK with that.

If we can somehow land TJ Langford I'd be downright giddy with the pickups this offseason.

We easily could have before the JPP signing.

We easily could have before the JPP signing.

That's fair, but we might sign or restructure him still. We'll have to see. None of the LTs on the market set my world on fire anyway. Clady might still be an option but you may only get 5 games out of him.

And how bad is Will Beatty? He couldn't even crack the starting lineup with Flowers playing like Ereck Flowers.

The interesting thing I see about some giant fans is pure hatred of Flowers and Hart going into the offseason...only to later find out we spent out money elsewhere, then magically transformed into blind love and faith in Flowers and Hart.

Lol...you guys are just drifting with the wind. Just make it up as you go along.

Lets see what the long term deal looks like and how JPP plays going forward before we make the summary judgement that tagging him was a bad move. There were a few games last year where he was unblockable. He's a force that makes Vernon more effective on the other side. You might think the price is too steep and that there wouldn't be much drop off without him but obviously, the Giants feel differently.

And did you see what Okung signed for? $53M for 4 years?! We couldn't, wouldn't and shouldn't have been in on that, JPP signing or no! That's a lot of coin for someone the Broncos could have kept but walked away from.

JPP is still tough to figure out. He's another guy that we still don't really know what we have, despite him being here for five years. Is he an 11-to-16 sack monster, or the guy who misses 5 games a year and gives you 4-8 sacks? He's definitely a great run stuffer.

I don't know that Wynn and Okwara can give you what JPP does yet. I can't really fault Reese for tagging him, but I can't say it was a great move either.

The interesting thing I see about some giant fans is pure hatred of Flowers and Hart going into the offseason...only to later find out we spent out money elsewhere, then magically transformed into blind love and faith in Flowers and Hart.

Lol...you guys are just drifting with the wind. Just make it up as you go along.

LOL, not sure where you're seeing that. Those of us that were wait-and-see on Flowers going into the offseason are still in wait-and-see status. You hate the guy... you're been consistent on that... not all of us share that pessimism on Flowers, or Hart either.

JPP is still tough to figure out. He's another guy that we still don't really know what we have, despite him being here for five years. Is he an 11-to-16 sack monster, or the guy who misses 5 games a year and gives you 4-8 sacks? He's definitely a great run stuffer.

I don't know that Wynn and Okwara can give you what JPP does yet. I can't really fault Reese for tagging him, but I can't say it was a great move either.

JPP is simple

He is a great player with every physical measureable you want in a defensive end in the NFL yesterday, today and tomorrow. He has proven ability as a pass rusher and run stopper. With all of his ability however he cannot single handedly change the outcome of a game. He needs help to get the job done and durability is also an issue. He does better in a strong rotation versus playing every snap.

He will get double digit sacks again in his NFL career if he is in the right roster and scheme.

Franchise tagging JPP in an attempt to sign him to a long term contract with the Giants is a mistake. Franchise tagging JPP in an attempt to deal him for a draft pick this year is the best option. I can't help but think of all the money Cleveland has right now, and picks, a good deal can be made for the Giants and JPP.

And did you see what Okung signed for? $53M for 4 years?! We couldn't, wouldn't and shouldn't have been in on that, JPP signing or no! That's a lot of coin for someone the Broncos could have kept but walked away from.

Okung has been allowed to walk away from two of the worst O-Lines in the last few years (Seattle & Denver). I don't know why anyone wants him as a starter.

The signing makes no sense considering this draft is one of the strongest TE classes in some time, paired with a relatively weaker OL class. Not to mention also weak at LB and DT, two other needs.

I also consider LB and DT more of a higher priority need than TE.

This makes a lot of sense..... Gmen werent getting a lot of production out of TE....a chip block is as good as a shut down LT as long as Manning isnt getting rushed...touched...or killed.

C. Wagon

This makes a lot of sense..... Gmen werent getting a lot of production out of TE....a chip block is as good as a shut down LT as long as Manning isnt getting rushed...touched...or killed.

C. Wagon

Is that really what our offense was missing this year? An occasional chip block??? We had three TEs on the roster, and another on the practice squad, and we're saying the difference is that none of these guys could chip block?

Flowers and Hart are simply not capable of playing the LT and RT positions respectively, and let's not forget we don't have a RG at this point either.

With what money and what picks? We're short on money, and this is one of the weaker OL draft classes as I mentioned.

What do businesses do when they're short on money.... they adapt, restructure, lay people off... It's not the end of the world brother.. For Allah's sake it's March.

Is that really what our offense was missing this year? An occasional chip block??? We had three TEs on the roster, and another on the practice squad, and we're saying the difference is that none of these guys could chip block?

Flowers and Hart are simply not capable of playing the LT and RT positions respectively, and let's not forget we don't have a RG at this point either.

I wouldn't say its what they were 'missing', but that was something that came up a few times. Pretty sure I made mention of it on a game thread or two because there were at least a few games that more than a few of us were wondering why they weren't getting a chip on edge rushers.

What do businesses do when they're short on money.... they adapt, restructure, lay people off... It's not the end of the world brother.. For Allah's sake it's March.

I get the "calm down" notion, but Reese has had months to take care of our cap situation and made it worse by slapping JPP with the tag. The fact is that we have MAYBE $3-4M in cap space left with 3 legitimate holes on the OL, A gaping hole at MLB (Robinson is a FA) and iirc only 2 RBs on the roster. Now I know we don't know what's going on behind closed doors, but with McAdoo coming out with bullshit remarks like he did at the Combine it really looks like Reese doesn't want to admit he blew it with Flowers and wants to force him into the LT spot regardless of what it costs us... which is mind-boggling as Pugh was drafted as a OT and 2 years later he's starting at LG.

Where Ellison will help isn't so much with chipping pass rushers, though he'll do that, too.....but in the running game. He'll do what they wanted Johnson to do last year - a move guy, who can get out front of a running play. Yes, V, we hear you and agree the OL still needs help and the truth is, the best we can hope for is marginal improvement from last year.....but this move will help with the running game more than you apparently think.