SportsWrath

Giants agree to 2 yr deal with Brandon Marshall

Dragon

Great signing. This really rounds out the WR corps at a great price. Finally the big weapon Eli could use in the red zone.

Odell - Marshall - Shepard might be the best set of receivers in the league. Definitely top-5.

If we could get Anthony Fasano to help seal the edge in the run game I'd be totally stoked.

NFL_201508292134776962640-P5.JPEG?itok%2

look at the size difference, Marshall has more bulk and height. In the picture he may be a step closer to the camera but he looks like a huge target for Eli. That said, how many more 1 on 1 opportunities will OBJ get? Not to mention Sheppard. Sheppard will generally always be in a 1 on 1 match up.

Guy is one year removed from a 1500 yard season. I gotta believe he has one more 1000 yard season in him.

He's been the most productive receiver in football over the last decade; 921 receptions and 11,752 yards. Now think of how bad those teams he played on were. Great signing by the Giants and hopefully Marshall helps OBJ with his mental game also.

Hopefully Eli will have time to throw to these guys. Maybe we will end up just taking the tag off jpp cuz we really don't have the resources to sign a big OL free agent

What free agent OLs are you referring to? From what I read, there are a few decent guys but they will be grossly overpaid. In our haste to fill a need, I don't want another Geoffrey Schwartz.

What free agent OLs are you referring to? From what I read, there are a few decent guys but they will be grossly overpaid. In our haste to fill a need, I don't want another Geoffrey Schwartz.

this.

If there's a good OL out there, I want him.... but.... who? Seems like there isn't anybody on the market that is worth even the middling cap space remaining.

Fringe... you finally get to see your guy in blue. When he was a free agent after his stint with the Broncos, I was adamantly against Marshall to the Giants. But he has really changed his attitude, gotten the help he needed, and I greatly respect him now. I am a little concerned because he does have some diva, but I think that OBJ is his own man, and Shep has a great head on his shoulders, so I'm less concerned at this point about that rubbing off the wrong way on them than I would have in the past.

From a football perspective, Marshall is beyond a perfect fit here. He meets the big receiver need in spades, and with a proven track record. I am not concerned that he had a down year... he played hurt often, sometimes significantly so, and that offense under Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, and Geno Smith, all who made starts, was completely dysfunctional. Still, at times, Marshall showed that he was still a matchup nightmare.

He can still do things like this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000734466/Brandon-Marshall-catches-bullet-pass-with-one-hand

And this, on a pretty good corner in Ronald Darby: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000703377/Fitzpatrick-finds-Brandon-Marshall-deep-for-32-yards

He is the kind of complement to OBJ and Shepherd inside, as well as red zone threat, that I have been longing for. Because Cruz was so miscast last year, it put a lot of pressure on OBJ, and the defense could really shade to his side with extra defenders. They may still try and do that, but if so, they will do so at their own peril, because Marshall can and will hurt them. This really helps OBJ and Shep (and Eli).

I don't think this signing precludes drafting a young receiver in the Brandon Marshall mold, either, (as he is 32 years old on only a 2 year deal) although it lessens the chance that an early pick will be used on one significantly, I believe. Intriguing players that might fit this type are Malachi Dupre of LSU, Jalen Robinette of Air Force Academy, Jamari Staples of Louisville, Fred Ross of Mississippi State, Bug Howard of UNC, Josh Reynolds of Texas A&M, Josh Malone of Tennessee, and Kenneth Golladay of University of Northern Illinois.

Now the Giants need to get some cap relief, because the work is not done... need to get the multi-year deal done on JPP, re-sign Keenan Robinson, and have room for their draft picks, as well as address in some way the DT position next to Harrison (Hankins is likely gone... Calais Cambell?, and hopefully some OL help).

Phenomenal start to free agency for the Giants, I felt that a legitimate boundary receiver was the Giants greatest need, and they filled it with a legitimate playmaker.

What about the OL? We're short two starters and Flowers will need to be moved.

Can't make a move there until tomorrow at 4 at the earliest, but according to McAdoo... the OL is fine and Eli just needs to play better. >_>