SportsWrath

81-81 or....

xxi-xxv

• 3 weeks later...

This is a strange season... normally I start off the season with optimism. This year as pitchers and catchers report it feels more like a silent dred. The past three seasons have been killers because I had high hopes at the start.

This season I expect nothing from this team, and hope to be surprised.

Dont be surprised to finish the season in last place. The Nats arent that bad. Lannan is a solid pitcher and Marquis, while is not close to an ace, is a guy you can count on to take the ball 30+ times and and be league average. And if Strasburg comes up and comes close to expectation, the Nats rotation is very decent. And their offense is solid. Not to mention, they have Wang, who could be really good for them come June. Jordan Zimmerman is pretty good too...but Im not sure if he is going to pitch this season due to his surgery.

This could be a good thing for the Mets though..maybe theyll fire everyone..then again, it might not matter with a horrible owner like Wilpon.

I for one am cautiously optimistic right now. I am happy that the Mets did not overpay for some of these free agents. Pineiro has to prove himself and he doesn't have Dave Duncan to coddle him. I would have liked Sheets but he is coming off major surgery as well as Wang. Lets face it, the free agent class was just not that good this off season. I would have liked to have seen the Mets pull of a few trades though. There are some holes that need to be addressed at catcher and second base. If they are able to sign Barajas, they will have two very good defensive catchers. Now they might not be all world in power but they have to be better than Schneider. Schneider was atrocious the last few years. It's too bad that we have to put up with another year of Castillo.

The key to this teams success is health. Remember, the Mets were in first place before the injury bug. Looks like Beltran is also ahead of schedule and if this team can manage to keep it close by the time he gets back, they should be in decent shape. They are not going to finish in last. They couldn't even sport a major league team last year and still didn't finish in last. It's a big year for Reyes also. He is pretty much in his contract year. The Mets have to decide if they pick up his 11 million option next year or let him walk. I see a big year from him.

It's a big year for Reyes also. He is pretty much in his contract year. The Mets have to decide if they pick up his 11 million option next year or let him walk. I see a big year from him.

I hope you are right, but I see another 3 month long pulled muscle

In reality, it was a torn hamstring. The Dodgers doctors recommended immediate surgery...so in true Mets fashion...they wait 3 months.

I still do not see a team that has Reyes, Wright, Beltran, bay, Santana and Krod being all that awful. Sure a lot depends on health, but then again whos team does not. What happens to the Yankees if Jeter, Arod, Tex, CC, Cano and Mariano all lose significant time. Not saying the Met players are as good as those guys, but that group of 6 players is not exactly shit.

Reyes statys healthy mets will win 85-90 games, as probably would have occoured in 2009 had the entire team not gotten hurt. 2009 was more an indictment of the players behind the group of "stars" then the stars themselves. They all were hurt and the replacement drop off was horrendous.