SportsWrath

Bernazard Rips His Shirt Off

Lubeck

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...amton_mets.html

The Binghamton Mets clubhouse nearly turned into a scene out of WWE Raw recently, when VP for player development Tony Bernazard removed his shirt and challenged the Double-A players to a fight during a postgame tirade, multiples sources told the Daily News.Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman's anatomy, a source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10days before the All-Star break, according to insiders.

"That's an all-timer if true," an AL official said upon hearing the account, which was corroborated by multiple people with ties to the Mets.

GM Omar Minaya acknowledged Bernazard spoke to the B-Mets in a "stern voice," but said he had no knowledge of the scope being portrayed.

"I know he did have a team meeting with them," Minaya told the Daily News. "It was not a 'you-guys-have-been-great meeting.' I know he spoke to them in a stern voice. But as far as what he was wearing, what kind of shoes he was wearing, I don't know anything about that."

While the 52-year-old Bernazard's actions were over-the-top no matter what the motivation, alleged underage drinking on the team apparently was one motivation for the eruption, an organization source said. Still, sending players to counseling rather than challenging them to a rumble might have been a more appropriate course of action.

Binghamton went 1-6 during an early July home stand against New Hampshire and Erie that coincided with that tumult. Three of the defeats came by at least seven runs. The team's longtime Double-A affiliate entered last night with a 36-58 record, in last place in the Eastern League's Northern Division.

"It's ridiculous that anyone in a professional baseball environment thinks it's acceptable," a friend of several B-Mets said about the treatment of the players.

The shoddy treatment of people in the system has led to mocking of the VP behind his back.

The News reported Tuesday that Bernazard, one of GM Omar Minaya's top lieutenants, recently erupted at the organization's manager of baseball operations. During a game at Citi Field, scouts took their customary seats in a row behind home plate. Bernazard showed up during play and wanted a seat occupied by a D-Backs scout. Bernazard's deputy, already seated in the row, suggested to the Mets VP that he wait until the half-inning ended, to minimize the disruption. Bernazard ripped into his deputy with a profanity-laced tirade as scouts and patrons watched in disbelief.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...l#ixzz0LzVsuuLe

This organization is a joke. What is even funnier that 75% of Mets fans hate Bernazard. Him and Jeff Wilpon are close so they wont fire him. Mediocrity for the next decade!! I hope David Wright cashes in on free agency in a few years, he deserves better.

I have a feeling that he wont get fired but the only way he does get fired if the media like Adam Rubin and the fans keep the pressure on the ownership. This ass has embarrassed the organization. An unknown player who chose to remain silent said Buzzard is crazy and is not liked. That tells it all.

If he isn't fired it's a failure of epic proportions. Then again this is the Wilpon's we're dealing with so I can't say I'd be surprised if they didn't. I wish they could fire themselves.

Everyone hates Bernazard. How do you go and challenge a bunch of 20 year old's in Double A to a fight? WTF is that bullshit? What a nightmare of a season.

I'm a Yanks fan so I don't have a stake in this just to be clear, but everytime there has been an issue with this team, inparticular the "chemistry", this guys name has come up. From what I've heard on talk radio both hosts and callers they seem to think this guy leads a faction within the organization, in particular on the major league roster that seperates the Latino and non-Latino players.

Combine that with how he clearly sucks at his job (isn't he in charge of player development? And aren't the Mets minor league teams almost all in last place, and in some cases badly?) and I just don't know how he can keep his job.

Did anyone hear Omar's press conference today? It was disgusting. Every question about the Bernazard story led back to the same answer. "There will be an investigation"

I rest my case on my theory of how the 2007 collapse will be felt through this organization for years to come.

In any case, does it really matter? Same shit, different regime. Since the Wilpons have had 100% ownership the franchise has had 3 gm's and its been one embrassing mess after another. So who and what are the common denominator?

The real shame in all of this is that Bernie Madoff did not steal all the Wilpons money and force them to sell, instead we have an ownership, short on cash and even shorter on brains.