SportsWrath

Baseball's Lebron?

Recently read the latest SI magazine and they had a feature on Bryce Harper, a high school kid from Nevada. He's a junior this year I believe.

A few of the highlights from the article.

Scouts say that as a sophmore, he is where Arod and Griffey were at as seniors.

He hit a homer in some Nevada park that went over the fence, trees, a 4 lane highway and sidewalks and was physically measured by the coach at 570 feet.

He hit the longest home run in Tropicana Field history in a home run derby, albeit with an aluminum bat.

His fastball was clocked at 96 mph

This is all at 16 years old. His parents are considering letting him quit high school get his ged so he can enter the 2010 draft vs the 2011 draft. Can't say I agree with that, but it's possibly Nats could land the best College player ever in Strasburg and the best high school player ever in Harper.

He has always played with kids 2-3 years older than him, he used to play on travel teams and on one trip his mom could make, he called her. She asked how he did, his response was "pretty good"

The coach called later and asked if he said anything, she said not really. He told her he went 12 for 12 with 11 home runs and a double.

Whoa. Baseball needs that amazing player...then again, we've had Braun and Longoria in recent years. I'd like to include Pedroia but that's another story. Still, Braun and Longoria hit the ground running and haven't stopped...but they're no A-rod or Griffey either.

Whoa. Baseball needs that amazing player...then again, we've had Braun and Longoria in recent years. I'd like to include Pedroia but that's another story. Still, Braun and Longoria hit the ground running and haven't stopped...but they're no A-rod or Griffey either.

I'm surprised they have him catching, someone needs to get him out from behind the plate and in the OF to protect his body.

Let's not get carried away.

The Mariners just drafted the next Pedroia in Dustin Ackley

• 11 months later...

Nats took him number 1 overall today, if he pans out they could be a very, very good team in the near future.

i've got a feeling manny machado will be the guy from this draft- the #1 doesn't have a great track record, historically.

i've got a feeling manny machado will be the guy from this draft- the #1 doesn't have a great track record, historically.

I honestly can't figure out why the nats are so ready for Strasburg this year, just to sell a few more tickets he could end up getting shelled and becoming David Clyde II. I'm pulling for him thgough.

I honestly can't figure out why the nats are so ready for Strasburg this year, just to sell a few more tickets he could end up getting shelled and becoming David Clyde II. I'm pulling for him thgough.

By all accounts, the dude is completely ready for his MLB debut. I plan on taking off if/when he pitches against the Mets at Shea.

By all accounts, the dude is completely ready for his MLB debut. I plan on taking off if/when he pitches against the Mets at Shea.

Not that I don't think he's ready, but there's no need to take the chance here. Keep him in AAA the remainder of the year and bring him to ST to earn a rotation spoit next year. Just a huge risk bringing him up now IMHO.

Not that I don't think he's ready, but there's no need to take the chance here. Keep him in AAA the remainder of the year and bring him to ST to earn a rotation spoit next year. Just a huge risk bringing him up now IMHO.

Money talks...

lincecum came up in june or july of his 1st year. these guys who go to college, you consider that AA. he may get shelled a bit- actually the pirates can hit- but it's not risky.

lincecum came up in june or july of his 1st year. these guys who go to college, you consider that AA. he may get shelled a bit- actually the pirates can hit- but it's not risky.

I read somewhere recently that we were primed to take Lincecum that year, but you guys snagged him before we could. I just think there is very little to gain, at best, you speed up the growth period by half a year, at worst he gets shell shocked and it's $50 million down the drain.

Don't get me wrong, I totally expect Strasburg to hit the ground running and be a force after a couple starts, but where are the Nats going? They going to be a playoff team this year with him? Whats the rush?

I read somewhere recently that we were primed to take Lincecum that year, but you guys snagged him before we could. I just think there is very little to gain, at best, you speed up the growth period by half a year, at worst he gets shell shocked and it's $50 million down the drain.

Don't get me wrong, I totally expect Strasburg to hit the ground running and be a force after a couple starts, but where are the Nats going? They going to be a playoff team this year with him? Whats the rush?

i think i answered that above. he's not going to learn anything by overpowering bad hitters in AAA.

he might even start to believe his stuff too much.

plus he'll put asses in the seats.

not bad, kid.... most important number? attendance 40, 315

7 innings

2 Runs

4 Hits

No walks

14 Strikeouts

1 Win