SportsWrath

Post-Game Talk... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Blue Jeans

When you look at our line-up, UI seriously don't think anyone come close to us

Don't get that excited just yet. Beltran's had hot streaks before, let's hope he remains consistent. Hopefully Floyd turns it on for good too.

Seriously guys, you have to keep your heads. I'm as pumped as anyone else right now but didn't the Tigers start out like 8-0 two years ago?

Don't get that excited just yet. Beltran's had hot streaks before, let's hope he remains consistent. Hopefully Floyd turns it on for good too.

Seriously guys, you have to keep your heads. I'm as pumped as anyone else right now but didn't the Tigers start out like 8-0 two years ago?

When we sweep the Braves then will you be happy :P

New York 4, Milwaukee 3

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tom Glavine took advantage of the lowest-scoring team in the major leagues, striking out 11 Milwaukee batters over six innings as the New York Mets defeated the Brewers 4-3 Friday night.

Glavine (2-0) limited the Brewers to six singles and earned his 277th victory. The only run he allowed was unearned, just the 35th run scored by the Brewers in 10 games this season.

Milwaukee, which struck out 14 times in all, added two runs against Aaron Heilman in the seventh but Duaner Sanchez pitched out of a jam as the Mets won their seventh straight, their longest winning streak since Sept. 3-9, 2002. New York is 8-1 for the first time since 1985.

Billy Wagner pitched a perfect ninth for this third save.

Xavier Nady put the Mets in front early, hitting his second home run of the season with two outs in the second inning after Chris Capuano (1-2) retired the first five New York hitters.

The Mets added to their lead with two outs in the third when Jose Reyes singled and scored from first on a double by Paul Lo Duca. After Carlos Beltran walked, Carlos Delgado delivered an RBI single that made it 3-0. Capuano escaped further trouble by slipping a called third strike past David Wright to end the inning.

In the fifth, Capuano opened with a single and reached second when left fielder Victor Diaz, making his first start of the season, let the ball get past him for an error. Capuano moved to third on a fly ball and scored on a single by J.J. Hardy. Glavine then struck out Geoff Jenkins and Carlos Lee, ending the rally. Jenkins and Lee combined for five strikeouts against Glavine.

Glavine opened the fifth with a single and after Reyes forced him, Bill Hall's throwing error gave the Mets runners at first and third with one out. Beltran walked, loading the bases and Delgado grounded out with Reyes scoring before the Brewers could complete an inning-ending double play.

Heilman relieved Glavine to start the seventh inning and allowed hits to Damian Miller and pinch-hitter Gabe Gross. A wild pitch allowed Miller to score and, after Brady Clark walked, Duaner Sanchez relieved. The runners advanced on an infield out, and Jenkins delivered a sacrifice fly, making it 4-3. Lee was walked intentionally and Sanchez got Hall on a grounder, leaving two runners stranded.

In the eighth, Rickie Weeks opened with an infield single and stole second. Sanchez struck out Prince Fielder but walked Miller. Pinch-hitter Corey Koskie struck out and Brady Clark bounced out, ending the rally.

Game notes

The start of the game was delayed 1 hour, 32 minutes by rain. ... Nady's homer came on a 3-1 pitch. ... Glavine's second-inning strikeout of Hall was the 2,363rd of his career and moved him past Charlie Hough into 38th place. ... It was the 13th time Glavine has struck out 10 or more batters in a game. ... Glavine threw 107 pitches, 70 for strikes. ... Miller's seventh-inning single snapped an 0-for-16 streak. ... 2B Kaz Matsui went 1-for-4 and committed an error playing for the Class-A St. Lucie Mets. Matsui is rehabbing a sprained right knee.

Wright, Mets outlast Braves in 14 innings for win No. 20

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Wright doubled home Carlos Beltran with the winning run in the 14th inning Friday night, lifting the New York Mets to an 8-7 victory over the Atlanta Braves.

The hit was the third of the night for Wright, who broke out of a 1-for-19 slump with four hits Thursday night. Beltran had walked and reached second on a passed ball before Wright delivered against Jorge Sosa (0-5), who had been scheduled to start Sunday.

The win was the third straight for New York and the third straight loss for Atlanta, dropping the Braves eight games behind the Mets in the NL East. New York (20-9) are 11 games over .500 for the first time since the end of the 2000 season.

The teams traded leadoff home runs in the 11th.

Pinch-hitter Wilson Betemit hit his third homer of the season, connecting against Met closer Billy Wagner for a 7-6 Atlanta lead. It was the third home run allowed by Wagner, who gave up just six all last season.

Cliff Floyd, locked in a slump that had dipped his average below .190, tied it against Chris Reitsma with his third homer of the season. An inning later, Reitsma got Floyd to pop up with the bases loaded.

Jose Reyes had a career-high five hits for New York. He touched off the tying four-run rally in the seventh with a single and opened the eighth with his fifth triple of the season.

Trailing 6-2, the Mets knocked starter Kyle Davies out in the seventh. Reyes opened with his fourth single and Paul Lo Duca doubled. An error by shortstop Edgar Renteria allowed one run to score, and Carlos Delgado singled home another. Floyd's RBI single against reliever Ken Ray made it 6-5, and Kaz Matsui delivered a tying single.

Ray escaped further damage, getting 47-year-old pinch hitter Julio Franco to hit into an inning-ending double play.

Brian McCann drove in a pair of runs with two hits and Marcus Giles had three hits including a pair of doubles and scored twice for the Braves.

Brian Jordan also had two hits and scored twice on McCann's single and double as the Braves built a 6-2 lead.

Jordan singled and scored on McCann's hit-and-run double in the second inning. Then, with the score tied at 2-2 in the sixth, Jordan doubled with two out and scored the go-ahead run on a base hit by McCann. After McCann stole second, Matt Diaz delivered an RBI single.

The Braves nicked Mets starter Steve Trachsel for a run in the first when Giles opened with a double off the right field wall and came around on a pair of infield outs.

Carlos Beltran tied it for the Mets in the bottom of the first with his sixth home run of the season.

Jordan and McCann put the Braves back in front in the second and Davies pitched out of a two-on, none out jam in the bottom of the second, striking out Kaz Matsui and Trachsel to strand runners at second and third.

In the third, the Mets had the first two men on base again when Reyes beat out a bunt and Paul Lo Duca walked. Beltran forced Lo Duca but then Davies walked Carlos Delgado and David Wright, both on four pitches, forcing in the tying run.

Jordan and McCann and Diaz hit run-scoring singles for a 4-2 lead in the sixth, and Andruw Jones and Francoeur had RBI singles in the seventh.

Game notes

Chipper Jones' first-inning RBI was the 105th of his career against the Mets. ... Renteria's fifth-inning single extended his hitting strek to 21 games, 20 this season. ... Reyes' five hits marked the 26th time a Mets player has had five hits in a game. ... Duaner Sanchez pitched two scoreless innings, stretching his scoreless streak to 21 innings. ... Mets disabled list report: 2B Anderson Hernandez (disc) has started playing in the Gulf Coast League. RHP Brian Bannister (hamstring) has begun long toss regimen.

• 2 weeks later...
Good= nothing

Bad= Mets fundamentals

Ugly= Jose Lima and I do not mean just his hair :furious:

:LMAO:

Good= Beltrans homer

Bad= we can't get anything going our way anymore

Ugly= our record the last 15 games

Beltran's homer in 16th gives Mets win in longest game of season

NEW YORK (AP) -- As the innings went by Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, there was a sense of urgency for the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Mets.

"You can't lose that kind of game," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "You use all your roster, you have to win the game. You're out there that long, you don't want to waste it."

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel felt the same way.

"We had the game won a couple of times but it got away from us," he said.

Carlos Beltran settled this battle of attrition by leading off the 16th inning with his 12th home run, ending a 5-hour, 22-minute marathon that was the longest game in the major leagues this season. There were 521 pitches and Beltran hit the last one into the New York bullpen.

The Mets used 21 players and the Phillies 18. The only position player who didn't get into the game was Philadelphia reserve outfielder Chris Coste.

Ryan Madson (4-3) worked seven scoreless innings in relief, uncharted territory for him, before Beltran's homer ended it and gave him the loss.

"I never thought I would (go that long)," said Madson, who threw 105 pitches. "I felt better later. I felt comfortable. I had no idea how many pitches I threw."

Madson said he was prepared to go as long as necessary. Only closer Tom Gordon and Real Cormier were left in the Phillies bullpen and Cormier had received an injection in his shoulder and was unavailable.

"I knew I was it," Madson said.

Beltran caught up with a high fastball to end it.

"As soon as I hit it, I knew it was gone," he said. "It was a fastball up and in and I was able to hit it good."

Darren Oliver (2-0) worked four shutout innings to earn the victory that stretched the Mets' lead in the NL East over the Phillies to four games.

Jose Reyes capped a furious New York comeback with a two-out, two-run homer in the eighth, tying the score at 8-8. The rally started when Endy Chavez beat out an infield hit and scored on a pinch double by Chris Woodward. Reyes, who had been 0-for-4, followed with his fourth homer of the season.

"I don't know how I got that one," he said, after golfing the ball over the wall, one of four homers hit by the Mets.

Short Hops

It's often said there are signs that it's going to be a special season sprinkled throughout the summer, and the Mets have had their fair share in the first two months.

To read more of Short Hops, click here.

Home runs by David Wright and Cliff Floyd erased an early 2-0 deficit for the Mets. But David Bell drove in five runs with a three-run homer and a double to put Philadelphia ahead.

Rookie Shane Victorino's RBI single to right broke a 2-2 tie in the fifth and then Bell, who had just 13 RBI before Tuesday night and had flied out to end a bases loaded threat in the third, followed with his fourth homer of the season for a 6-2 lead.

In the bottom of the inning, Chavez singled and pinch-hitter Jose Valentin walked. After two outs, Beltran's infield single scored Chavez, who had stolen third.

An inning later, consecutive doubles by Floyd and Kaz Matsui made it 6-4. Then Julio Franco, appearing in his 2,400th major league game, delivered a pinch double against reliever Aaron Fultz, scoring Matsui.

In the seventh, Mets reliever Aaron Heilman walked Ryan Howard and Victorino, and Bell followed with a two-run double to left center. But the Mets came back again in the eighth on hits by Chavez and Woodward before Reyes' home run tied the score at 8.

Game notes

Mets RF Xavier Nady was a late scratch from the lineup because of lower back stiffness. ... Wright's second-inning homer was the first run the Mets scored for Steve Trachsel in three starts. ... Floyd's homer was his second in the last three games. ... It was the longest Mets game since 1995. ... Rob Bell of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was the last pitcher to have a seven-inning relief stint, getting the win with seven shutout innings against Arizona on June 19, 2004.

• 2 weeks later...

Mets win 8th straight behind Wright's three-run homer

NL East-leading Mets (42-23)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- David Wright hit a three-run homer and the New York Mets won their eighth straight game, getting off to another fast start to beat the fading Philadelphia Phillies 5-4 Thursday.

Steve Trachsel pitched six effective innings and the NL East-leading Mets (42-23) extended their lead to 9½ games over second-place Philadelphia by completing a three-game sweep. They finished 9-1 on their road trip against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks and Phillies.

New York set a major league record by winning its eighth consecutive game on the road when scoring in the first inning. The 1939 Yankees did it seven consecutive games. The Mets' streak of eight straight games scoring in the first is a team record.

Pat Burrell hit a pair of homers for the Phillies, who fell to 33-33 with their sixth loss in seven games.

Trachsel (4-4) allowed four runs and six hits in six innings. Aaron Heilman and Duaner Sanchez followed with perfect innings, and Billy Wagner finished for his 14th save in 17 chances.

The Phillies came into the series hoping to narrow the gap in the standings. Instead, they lost the first two games and fell behind 4-0 in the first inning of this one.

Jose Reyes led off against Cory Lidle (4-6) with a single and scored on Endy Chavez's double to left-center. Carlos Delgado walked with one out and Wright followed with his 14th homer to make it 4-0.

Wright's shot landed in the flower bed just over the left-field wall, giving him homers in three straight games and extending his hitting streak to nine games. Wright is batting .395 (15-for-38) with four homers and 12 RBI during that stretch.

Burrell homered leading off Philadelphia's second, and Sal Fasano's two-out double scored Ryan Howard to cut it to 4-2.

Reyes led off the fifth with a double, moved to third on a sacrifice by Chavez and scored on Carlos Beltran's sacrifice fly to make it 5-2.

The Phillies closed to 5-4 on Burrell's two-run drive in the fifth. With two outs, Bobby Abreu extended his hitting streak to 14 games with a single. Burrell then drove a 3-2 pitch into the seats in left-center for his 18th homer and 35th against the Mets.

But the Phillies didn't get a runner on the rest of the game, with 13 batters in a row going down.

A sellout crowd of 45,102 was the largest of the season and second-biggest in the three-year history of Citizens Bank Park. It included thousands of Mets fans who cheered loudly for their team. Philly fans finally drowned out chants of "Let's Go Mets!" with the familiar chant of "E-A-G-L-E-S!"

If the Phillies continue their losing ways, they'll have plenty of empty seats when the Eagles begin training camp next month.

Lidle left after Ramon Castro singled leading off the seventh. The right-hander allowed five runs and six hits in six innings. Frustrated with his performance, he threw his glove against the dugout wall as he walked off the field.

Game notes

There was a 25-minute rain delay in the middle of the third inning. ... Chavez made a diving catch on a sinking liner to right field by Aaron Rowand to end the third inning with two runners on. ... A notoriously slow worker, Trachsel delayed the start of the game when he trotted in from the bullpen with his catcher just before the first pitch. ... Beltran has a hit and RBI in eight straight games. ... Burrell has 13 multihomer games. ... Country singer Tim McGraw, son of former Phillies and Mets reliever Tug McGraw, threw out the first pitch. ... The largest crowd at Citizens Bank Park was 45,449 for a game against the Mets last June 23.

Mora, Orioles end Mets' eight-game winning streak

W: E. Bedard (6-6) L: A. Heilman (0-2) S: C. Ray (17)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Maybe the New York Mets should have stayed on the road.

Welcomed home Friday night after a 9-1 road trip that pushed them 9½ games in front in the National League East, the Mets managed just four hits and were beaten 6-3 by the Baltimore Orioles, ending an eight-game winning streak.

Erik Bedard, who had not won in a month, pitched six strong innings to earn the victory and Melvin Mora hit a two-run homer against his former team, capping a four-run seventh-inning rally.

Bedard (6-6) used an effective changeup to keep the Mets off-balance. Typical was a fifth-inning strikeout of Lastings Milledge that left the rookie slamming his bat to the ground and yelling at himself.

"I was throwing all my pitches, in and out," Bedard said.

Manager Sam Perlozzo was delighted with the left-hander's effort.

"His change was the big pitch for him," the manager said. "He's showing signs of taking his game to the next level. Hopefully, he'll continue that way."

Bedard pitched hitless ball into the fifth inning but was trailing 3-2 when he left the game for a pinch-hitter in the decisive seventh. The Mets took the lead in the fifth on a two-out, two-run double by Jose Reyes.

"I was kind of mad when he hit that double, but that's baseball," Bedard said.

Cuban defector Alay Soler limited Baltimore to four hits over six innings and turned over the 3-2 lead to Aaron Heilman (0-2), who relieved at the start of the seventh.

Heilman got in trouble immediately, walking Kevin Millar and Nick Markakis to start the inning. Pinch-hitter Howie Clark bunted the runners to second and third. First baseman Carlos Delgado then bobbled Brian Roberts' grounder but recovered in time to make the putout at first, Millar scoring to tie the game at 3-3.

Then Brandon Fahey looped a single to left, just beyond the reach of Reyes, to score Markakis and put the Orioles in front. Mora followed with his ninth homer of the season for a 6-3 lead.

"I just feel good to win a game, no matter how we win," Mora said. "I was just trying to hit the ball up the middle. He hung it and I put a good swing on it."

The four-run seventh continued Heilman's recent struggles.

"Heilman should pitch way over the top," pitching coach Rick Peterson said. "But he's reverting to a three-quarters delivery."

"It's certainly been a work in progress," Heilman said. "I definitely feel better than I did a week ago. I threw a couple of pretty good pitches that just missed. I wasn't missing by a lot. Then a couple of bloops and a hanging changeup."

Bedard (6-6) last won on May 17 against Boston and had lost his last four decisions. He allowed just three hits over six innings, walking three and striking out six.

Chris Ray pitched a perfect ninth for his 17th save.

The Mets scored a run without a hit in the second inning.

Bedard walked Delgado and David Wright with none out. The runners advanced on a sacrifice by Jose Valentin and Delgado came home on Chris Woodward's infield out.

Baltimore came right back against Soler in the third.

Roberts reached on a throwing error by Reyes and scored when Fahey tripled to right center. Then Mora singled Fahey home and stole second before Soler struck out the next three batters to end the inning.

The Mets regained the lead in the fifth.

Valentin opened with New York's first hit against Bedard, ending a stretch nine straight Mets retired in order, and Woodward walked. After Milledge struck out, Soler advanced the runners with a sacrifice and Reyes delivered a double past first base to score two runs.

Game notes

The Mets failed to score in the first inning, ending an eight-game streak. The 1913 Chicago Cubs and 1938 Philadelphia Athletics are the only other teams to score in the first inning of eight straight games. ... ... Home plate umpire Dana DeMuth threw Baltimore catcher Ramon Hernandez out of the game for arguing a called third strike in the third inning. ... Wright made a diving glove-hand catch of Fahey's attempted bunt in the first inning. ... Wright extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a sixth-inning single.