SportsWrath

David Wright on Jimmy Rollins' Comments

Blue Jeans

Yeah and in 2004 the Ranges used 16 different starting pitchers to win 89 games, were bringing back a better overall team and ended up well below 500. Point is, teams over achieve sometimes.

Were any of them named Jose Lima or Jermi Gonzalez?

Thank You.

I don't get it?

The Mets has arguably the worst 6th and 7th starters in the Major Leagues last year and still managed to win 97 ball games, all

this while Pedro has his worst season in years and the Mets only going 11-12 in his starts.

The pitching staff last year was held together with spit, bubble gum and band-aids and in the end it was hitting that failed us.

The Mets has arguably the worst 6th and 7th starters in the Major Leagues last year and still managed to win 97 ball games, all

this while Pedro has his worst season in years and the Mets only going 11-12 in his starts.

The pitching staff last year was held together with spit, bubble gum and band-aids and in the end it was hitting that failed us.

Oh, yeah we had a much better pitching staff.

Kenny Rogers

Chan Ho Park

Ryan Dreese

Joaquin Benoit

R.A. Dickey

John Wasdin

Those were the 5 with the most starts.

Oh, yeah we had a much better pitching staff.

Kenny Rogers

Chan Ho Park

Ryan Dreese

Joaquin Benoit

R.A. Dickey

John Wasdin

Those were the 5 with the most starts.

Half of the time the Mets had 3 or 4 starting pitchers in their rotation. I`m not arguing this the Mets will win the division in a land slide again.

Half of the time the Mets had 3 or 4 starting pitchers in their rotation. I`m not arguing this the Mets will win the division in a land slide again.

How many of the guys I mentioned are still starting pitchers? 2?

This is exactly what i was getting at, most Mets fans agree with you, you guys think the division is your to lose when the Phills have put together a good team and the Marlins might even make it interesting. Basically, you guys are doing exactly what you bitch about Yankee fans for.

This is exactly what i was getting at, most Mets fans agree with you, you guys think the division is your to lose when the Phills have put together a good team and the Marlins might even make it interesting. Basically, you guys are doing exactly what you bitch about Yankee fans for.

It is our division to lose, and until the Phillies or anyone else proves otherwise its the Mets division to lose.

I`ve never bitched about Yankee fans doing this, I`ve bitched about them being stupid and completely ignorant.

It is our division to lose, and until the Phillies or anyone else proves otherwise its the Mets division to lose.

I`ve never bitched about Yankee fans doing this, I`ve bitched about them being stupid and completely ignorant.

Not quite what i meant, but ok. I mean with comments like "Mets will run away with the division", you're saying no one has a shot. That they may as well hand you trhe world series trophy now.

Phils win the NL EAST :LMAO: , yeah with that pen :LMAO: .

I love it, the haters will declare the Mets overachieved last year, but then say they suck ass when a 100 million dollar payroll loses 90 games. Cannot have it both ways.

Here is a newsflash, the 2006 Mets did not overachieve, they underachieved because for all intents and purposes they should have won the NL. Yes the starting pitching has some question marks, but the bullpen is still as good as any in the NL, possibly the majors and like I said in a previous post, the starting pitching was as much a question mark this time last year as it is now.

I will not sit here and allow people that know NOTHING about the Mets declare that the Phils, a defenively inept team, with a horrid bullpen playing in a bandbox are the team to beat in the NL EAST. The Mets are, thats what defending champions are, the team to beat.

Phils win the NL EAST :LMAO: , yeah with that pen :LMAO: .

I love it, the haters will declare the Mets overachieved last year, but then say they suck ass when a 100 million dollar payroll loses 90 games. Cannot have it both ways.

Here is a newsflash, the 2006 Mets did not overachieve, they underachieved because for all intents and purposes they should have won the NL. Yes the starting pitching has some question marks, but the bullpen is still as good as any in the NL, possibly the majors and like I said in a previous post, the starting pitching was as much a question mark this time last year as it is now.

I will not sit here and allow people that know NOTHING about the Mets declare that the Phils, a defenively inept team, with a horrid bullpen playing in a bandbox are the team to beat in the NL EAST. The Mets are, thats what defending champions are, the team to beat.

Obviously the Mets are the team to beat, thats how it works, but my gripe isn't with stating that, or even saying the Mets should/will win it again. I only argue when the people who always seem to be harping on Yankee fans suddenly act just like them after 1 division crown.

I don't know a great deal about NL rosters, but i don't see Steve Traschel getting you 15 wins, and is El Duque really in the 2nd spot in the rotation?

The Mets are a good team, no doubt about it, and leading candidates to win the division again, but they're not that far ahead of the Phils or even marlins.

Obviously the Mets are the team to beat, thats how it works, but my gripe isn't with stating that, or even saying the Mets should/will win it again. I only argue when the people who always seem to be harping on Yankee fans suddenly act just like them after 1 division crown.

I don't know a great deal about NL rosters, but i don't see Steve Traschel getting you 15 wins, and is El Duque really in the 2nd spot in the rotation?

The Mets are a good team, no doubt about it, and leading candidates to win the division again, but they're not that far ahead of the Phils or even marlins.

Steve Trachsel is no longer a member of the NY Mets.

El Duque is the #2 coming into the spring or until someone steps up or Pedro comes back mid season. EL Duque is really in a perfect world that insurance policy, unfortunately since Pedro has the shoulder injury they are cashing in their policy early.

Bottom line is this, the Mets had a back end of the rotation guy win 15 games last year, a guy who absolutely sucked ass. IMO Perez and Maine can be no worse than what Zambrano and Trachsel were to start the year in 06 at the 3 and 4 spot. The Mets need the starters to go 5-6 and then let the pen take over. If the Mets give one starter that type run support that they gave Tracshel they will be even better, because I know this sounds weird, but he was a HORRIBLE 15 game winner.

Steve Trachsel is no longer a member of the NY Mets.

El Duque is the #2 coming into the spring or until someone steps up or Pedro comes back mid season. EL Duque is really in a perfect world that insurance policy, unfortunately since Pedro has the shoulder injury they are cashing in their policy early.

Bottom line is this, the Mets had a back end of the rotation guy win 15 games last year, a guy who absolutely sucked ass. IMO Perez and Maine can be no worse than what Zambrano and Trachsel were to start the year in 06 at the 3 and 4 spot. The Mets need the starters to go 5-6 and then let the pen take over. If the Mets give one starter that type run support that they gave Tracshel they will be even better, because I know this sounds weird, but he was a HORRIBLE 15 game winner.

I worded the Traschel part wrong.

Right, but here's my point, you're relying on someone to step up or Henandez to pitch well, and then depending on Pedro to come back in the middle of the season and find his game with his arm problems.

I'm not saying the Mets won't win the division, I'm just saying (not necessarily to you btw) not to carve the Mets into the WS trophy before P&C report.

Right, but here's my point, you're relying on someone to step up or Henandez to pitch well, and then depending on Pedro to come back in the middle of the season and find his game with his arm problems.

I'm not saying the Mets won't win the division, I'm just saying (not necessarily to you btw) not to carve the Mets into the WS trophy before P&C report.

I think as currently constructed the Mets have the horses to win a 162 game season and make the playoffs. They have a good nucleus, good defense, real good pen and nice bench. What I do not think is the same is what I thought at the start of last seasons post season. They currently do not posses the starting pitching that is needed to win short series in the playoffs. With that being said some young guys like Perez and Maine showed tremendous promise in the post season, leading me to believe that they can continue that growth as 3rd and 4th and possibly even 5th starters during the 2007 regular season. I expect El Duque to be what he is, one game you will get 8ip 3 hits 9 k's and the next you might get 2 ip 10 hits 7 runs. I know people find this hard to fathom, but Oliver Perez and John Maine in the 3rd and 4th spots in 2007 are better than what Victor Zambrano and Steve Tracshel were in those spots in 2006. Lets say El Duque pitches in 2007 how an injured Pedro pitched, 9-7, 4 ERA, I have full confidence that even though they are not world beaters, Perez and Maine can pitch better than Trcashel and Zambrano.

I am most anxious to see Pelfrey, he has had a full year of pro ball now, got a taste of the majors last year and throws absolute gas, ditto with Pelfrey.

Omar Minaya has done a tremendous job in building a team that can and probably will survive a 162 game season and make the post season with a superb bullpen, starting quantity as opposed to quality and a good bench, what he needs to do though IMO to win a WS is either hope one of the kids steps up to become another top of a staff starter, or he is going to have to go get one mid season. My guess is the later, but I think in the regular season the Mets will be ok. They have a good enough lineup and bullpen to survive 162 games.

This is why I love the Mets more than I ever have. Omar has built a team to not rely on any one player. We expect El Duque to be El Duque and not become a great pitcher overnight, Glavine to be Glavine, and everyone else to do JUST enough to give the offense a chance to win a game. If one person in the offense slumps, the team is still fine. This happened numerous times last season specifically with Wright and Delgado. The guy who hit 34 homeruns the previous season was on the DL half the season. And to say the team is depending on Pedro coming back is wrong, he is a midseason gift. And if he could return to form, are there any other teams in the MLB who wouldn't want to depend on him?

This is why I love the Mets more than I ever have. Omar has built a team to not rely on any one player. We expect El Duque to be El Duque and not become a great pitcher overnight, Glavine to be Glavine, and everyone else to do JUST enough to give the offense a chance to win a game. If one person in the offense slumps, the team is still fine. This happened numerous times last season specifically with Wright and Delgado. The guy who hit 34 homeruns the previous season was on the DL half the season. And to say the team is depending on Pedro coming back is wrong, he is a midseason gift. And if he could return to form, are there any other teams in the MLB who wouldn't want to depend on him?

this is true, but to win in the post season we would have to be counting on someone young to step it up(which is quite possible) and EL Duque to be the post season godsend he has been in years past to other teams(which at this point is only possible). SO with that I say we need another horse in the starting staff to have a legit post season chance. Now this is also not to say that possibly 2 of the young guys step up to be what the Mets need, but my gut tells me that the Mets will need that front line starter come October. Lots of time to figure out whom it will be and should be exciting doing so.

I love this offense this year with Moises. But I think Valentin is going to hold us back. He gave us more then we bargained for last year, and I don't like taking a shot on him to do it again.

Hopefully we have someone else in mind at 2b.

And I think Willie should be quick to give the hook to Shawn Green if he starts out slowly. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm just not a big fan of the guy. And not because he's Jewish, I'm Jewish too. :ph34r:

Yeah and in 2004 the Ranges used 16 different starting pitchers to win 89 games, were bringing back a better overall team and ended up well below 500. Point is, teams over achieve sometimes.

When did I ever say anything to the contrary, in fact many of you guys have already reserved a spot at the top of the division, if the the league.

You said the Phillies were winning the division. I'm just saying, nothing is written in stone, especially in baseball.

I'm not one to predict anything, I only hope the Mets weren't a one hit wonder and will continue to play good baseball.

You said the Phillies were winning the division. I'm just saying, nothing is written in stone, especially in baseball.

I'm not one to predict anything, I only hope the Mets weren't a one hit wonder and will continue to play good baseball.

I am the total Met pessimist and I expect them to play as well this year. Here are some of the reasons.

I expect the Big 4 of Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Delgado to have similar production

I expect LoDuca to be at or around his usual numbers, .300 good defense, good leader, selective hitter.

I also expect Valentin to not be as productive, but and this is a big but, I expect better overall production from the corner OF spots with Alou, Green and Chavez in the mix as well, so IMO that will cancel out Valentin's shortcomings. If Anderson Hernandez shows any ability to hit, he will play a lot of 2B, sending Valenin to the bench and increasing the strength of the bench.

I expect one of the 2 of the young starters to amass innings and be better than Trachsel or Zambrano or Lima or Gonazalez were early in the 2006 campaign.

I expect the bullpen core of Heilman, Sanchez, Shoenweiss and Wagner to be productive, loss of Bradford hurts and it will be difficult to replace him though. Burgos is the X factor with a 100 mph heater.

I am the total Met pessimist and I expect them to play as well this year. Here are some of the reasons.

I expect the Big 4 of Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Delgado to have similar production

I expect LoDuca to be at or around his usual numbers, .300 good defense, good leader, selective hitter.

I also expect Valentin to not be as productive, but and this is a big but, I expect better overall production from the corner OF spots with Alou, Green and Chavez in the mix as well, so IMO that will cancel out Valentin's shortcomings. If Anderson Hernandez shows any ability to hit, he will play a lot of 2B, sending Valenin to the bench and increasing the strength of the bench.

I expect one of the 2 of the young starters to amass innings and be better than Trachsel or Zambrano or Lima or Gonazalez were early in the 2006 campaign.

I expect the bullpen core of Heilman, Sanchez, Shoenweiss and Wagner to be productive, loss of Bradford hurts and it will be difficult to replace him though. Burgos is the X factor with a 100 mph heater.

I am anxious for spring training to start to see who wins out in the competition for rotation spots. My hope is that Pelfrey or Humber pitch well enough to get a spot. We need a shot of youth on the hill. I'm praying that these guys will be successful, and soon. With Rick Peterson mentoring them, I don't see why they shouldn't.

I said this when the trade was made and I'll say it again... The Mets may have stolen one from the Pirates (Perez). If he can get himself together, he can be a dominant pitcher in the NL.

The thing is, the Mets haven't gotten worse, the Phillies have just gotten significantly better. With Reyes and Wright on the Mets and Utley and Howard on the Phillies, these two teams are going to have the NL All Star starters for the next decade. Let's look at each team in key areas.

Starting Pitching

Mets - Tom Glavine, El Duque, John Maine, Oliver Perez, and Jorge Sosa

Phillies - Brett Myers, Freddy Garcia, Jamie Moyer, Cole Hamels, and Adam Eaton

The Phillies definitely rank higher in this department even with Pedro's late season return. The only thing that could save the Mets is a top of the line starter pickup in a trade. Not to diminish the Mets SP though, Oliver Perez is only a few years removed from a great season with a 2.99 era and 239 Ks...he just has to stop walking people. His K rate has always been good though, bottoming out at 7.2 in Pittsburgh last season but up over 10 in NY. Despite that, the Mets are banking a lot on older guys and young mediocre talent. The Phillies on the other hand are led by Brett Myers who is ghetting closer and closer to being a bona fide ace (he lost 30 pounds this offseason), an innings eater through a great trade in Freddy Garcia, only one old guy in soft tosser Jamie Moyer, a young ace pitcher entering his second season in the majors, and an oft injured but solid fifth guy in Adam Eaton.

Offense

This is a lot closer than most people would think.

C-Lo Duca vs. Barajas

Edge-Mets While Barajas can hit 15-20 HRs, he can't hit for average and LoDuca's ability to get on base from a great 2 spot in the order is incredibly valuable.

1b-Delgado vs. Howard

Edge-Phillies There's no doubt that this goes to Howard although the dropoff isn't incredibly big from Howard to Delgado.

2b-Valentin vs. Utley

Edge-Phillies Come on, we're talking about the best second baseman in the game now who can provide middle of the order production with 10+ steals to boot against an old guy who can't hit for average but will give you power. There's a huge dropoff here, especially if Valentin reverts to his .243 career average.

SS-Reyes vs. Rollins

Edge-Mets Like first base, though Reyes is amazing, Rollins isn't too far behind. Watch Reyes take another step forward this year though.

3b-Wright vs. Helms

Edge-Mets There's no argument here at all.

LF-Alou vs. Burrell

Slight edge-Mets Both guys have 30 HR power with Alou lagging slightly behind Burrell...though with Alou being a more complete player especially in the strikeout department. But truth be told, as much as Phillies fans complain about Burrell, he could be doing a lot worse.

CF-Beltran vs. Rowand

Edge-Mets Beltran is plain amazing.

RF-Green vs. Victorino

Edge-Mets Although Shawn Green is in the decline phase, Victorino just isn't that great a player

The final count is 6-3 but a lot of the positions are really close.

Bullpen

This definitely goes to the Mets as well for obvious reasons...although Mota is suspended for steroid abuse.

While the Mets have an incredible offense and pen, their starting pitching has the possibility to be so bad as to be bad. The Phillies on the other hand have a strong batting order and a very strong rotation to go with a top closer. They say pitching wins ballgames so I guess it's all dependant on the Mets starting pitchers. But to say that it's no contest, BS. The Phils made some good moves this offseason.

SS-Reyes vs. Rollins

Edge-Mets Like first base, though Reyes is amazing, Rollins isn't too far behind. Watch Reyes take another step forward this year though

I don`t agree with this at all, I do agree with the rest of it.

Jose Reyes is the most dynamic player in the Major Leagues today. Has the ability to hit over 20 homers and had 81 RBIs for a lead off hitter in the National

League. Jimmy Rollins couldn`t hold a candle to Jose Reyes and keep in mind your talking to a guy who saw pretty much every Mets home game in the

summer last year.

he Phillies on the other hand are led by Brett Myers who is ghetting closer and closer

Did you do that on purpose?

Jose Reyes is the most dynamic player in the Major Leagues today. Has the ability to hit over 20 homers and had 81 RBIs for a lead off hitter in the National

League. Jimmy Rollins couldn`t hold a candle to Jose Reyes and keep in mind your talking to a guy who saw pretty much every Mets home game in the

summer last year.

I'm not gonna lie, I love Jose Reyes...he's just an amazing player to watch and have on your team but I'm just saying that Rollins is pretty damn good in his own right. Last year, Rollins had 25 HRs, 36 SBs, and 83 RBI to Reyes' 19 HRs, 81 RBI, and 64 SBs. That's a huge discrepancy in SBs but also note that Reyes is 64/13 while Rollins is 36/4. I have every reason to believe Reyes will get significantly better but although he'll steal half the bases, Rollins is actually a lot closer than you think. Believe it or not, he even scored more runs than Reyes' last year with 127 vs. 122.

Not on purpose at all.Zxyu00: I'm not gonna lie, I love Jose Reyes...he's just an amazing player to watch and have on your team but I'm just saying that Rollins is pretty damn good in his own right. Last year, Rollins had 25 HRs, 36 SBs, and 83 RBI to Reyes' 19 HRs, 81 RBI, and 64 SBs. That's a huge discrepancy in SBs but also note that Reyes is 64/13 while Rollins is 36/4. I have every reason to believe Reyes will get significantly better but although he'll steal half the bases, Rollins is actually a lot closer than you think. Believe it or not, he even scored more runs than Reyes' last year with 127 vs. 122.

Not on purpose at all.

summer last year.

I'm not gonna lie, I love Jose Reyes...he's just an amazing player to watch and have on your team but I'm just saying that Rollins is pretty damn good in his own right. Last year, Rollins had 25 HRs, 36 SBs, and 83 RBI to Reyes' 19 HRs, 81 RBI, and 64 SBs. That's a huge discrepancy in SBs but also note that Reyes is 64/13 while Rollins is 36/4. I have every reason to believe Reyes will get significantly better but although he'll steal half the bases, Rollins is actually a lot closer than you think. Believe it or not, he even scored more runs than Reyes' last year with 127 vs. 122.

Not on purpose at all.Zxyu00: I'm not gonna lie, I love Jose Reyes...he's just an amazing player to watch and have on your team but I'm just saying that Rollins is pretty damn good in his own right. Last year, Rollins had 25 HRs, 36 SBs, and 83 RBI to Reyes' 19 HRs, 81 RBI, and 64 SBs. That's a huge discrepancy in SBs but also note that Reyes is 64/13 while Rollins is 36/4. I have every reason to believe Reyes will get significantly better but although he'll steal half the bases, Rollins is actually a lot closer than you think. Believe it or not, he even scored more runs than Reyes' last year with 127 vs. 122.

Not on purpose at all.