SportsWrath

Write up on Apple

Bigblue25

I thought this was a thread about the company Apple lol

This Apple pick is going to be scrutinized to high heaven before it's all said and done, with some impact LBs and even Tunsil waiting there at 10, Apple was still a head scratching move considering the state of the Oline and LB core.

He does fill a big need in the non existent secondary pool of players, and will hopefully become of the top CBs in the game in the next few seasons ala Webster 2.0.

Jerry got caught flat-footed when the two guys he wanted were taken at 8 and 9, so he took the "athlete who never put it all together" in college.

This should surprise no one.

Also, I have a feeling that it won't really matter because we'll be getting players out of the rest of the draft. The RB and WR in particular look pretty good... but Apple? I think he's Will Allen 2.0.

Jerry got caught flat-footed when the two guys he wanted were taken at 8 and 9, so he took the "athlete who never put it all together" in college.

This should surprise no one.

Also, I have a feeling that it won't really matter because we'll be getting players out of the rest of the draft. The RB and WR in particular look pretty good... but Apple? I think he's Will Allen 2.0.

I don't think he was caught "flat footed" as so much as the Titans were willing to trade up to grab Conklin(sp?) so they had to take the next best available which was Apple on their board, hell there was a run on CBs after Apple was taken so I think every other team in the draft was just as surprised as all the trades occurring in the top 10.

I can't see Apple as the next Allen since that was a reaction pick to the Bills taken the other CB before them, cant recall the name off hand.

I don't think he was caught "flat footed" as so much as the Titans were willing to trade up to grab Conklin(sp?) so they had to take the next best available which was Apple on their board, hell there was a run on CBs after Apple was taken so I think every other team in the draft was just as surprised as all the trades occurring in the top 10.

I can't see Apple as the next Allen since that was a reaction pick to the Bills taken the other CB before them, cant recall the name off hand.

Nate Clements was the corner I think they were targeting that year who went to Buffalo. The problem with the Apple pick for most is he's not a must have player at a position that wasn't their top need. I get the third corner philosophy, but he doesn't fit the slot and they could of gotten a slot guy later, probably one with better ball skills too. I do think they got caught a bit flat footed and even Ross/Reese justification of the pick seems a bit odd.

They need to plug their motherfucking leaks is what they need to do. No wonder graziano thinks they can do no wrong, he prob has unread texts from "giant deepthroat" on his phone constantly

Even if your two guys are gone just take the next guy at the position. Floyd was the only athletic LB they liked and Conklin was the only OT they liked?

Presumably the only guys at those positions they thought were worth the 10th pick.

Even if your two guys are gone just take the next guy at the position. Floyd was the only athletic LB they liked and Conklin was the only OT they liked?

I'm OK with them taking the "best player available" since the team has so many holes to fill, but I think the problem is that most people don't think the best player available was Eli Apple.

I'm OK with them taking the "best player available" since the team has so many holes to fill, but I think the problem is that most people don't think the best player available was Eli Apple.

I'm sure that happens alot.. but we see youtube clips while these guys do this for a living... I mean my next choice after Jack at that spot was Shaq Lawson... dude is having a shoulder surgery... there goes his rookie year.

Didn't we allow something like 299 ypg passing? and DRC isn't getting younger and we lost prince who was good for 8 games a year... I'm not mad at that pick no.. but I'm mad at not taking the Jets' offer (even as low-balled as it was) for an extra 2nd round pick.

I'm sure that happens alot.. but we see youtube clips while these guys do this for a living... I mean my next choice after Jack at that spot was Shaq Lawson... dude is having a shoulder surgery... there goes his rookie year.

Didn't we allow something like 299 ypg passing? and DRC isn't getting younger and we lost prince who was good for 8 games a year... I'm not mad at that pick no.. but I'm mad at not taking the Jets' offer (even as low-balled as it was) for an extra 2nd round pick.

I thought the offer from the Jets was an extra fourth, they were low balling by not offering the extra second.

I thought the offer from the Jets was an extra fourth, they were low balling by not offering the extra second.

The offer from the Jets was swapping 1sts and the Giants get their 2nd rounder.... The Giants wanted more (as per some point system).

I thought too it was the 1st and 4th this year for our 1st this year...

That said, if it was a lowball offer, we were better staying put. Had the trade of picks been fair, or close to fair, I would've traded down without question.

As for Lawson, he'll likely miss the offseason, but I don't know that they've ruled out his rookie year. He'll have a steeper learning curve for sure, but I think where he was selected, he's still a good pick.

I thought too it was the 1st and 4th this year for our 1st this year...

That said, if it was a lowball offer, we were better staying put. Had the trade of picks been fair, or close to fair, I would've traded down without question.

As for Lawson, he'll likely miss the offseason, but I don't know that they've ruled out his rookie year. He'll have a steeper learning curve for sure, but I think where he was selected, he's still a good pick.

My recollection is that based on some points system... for a team to move down from 10 to 20, they should get a 2nd and a 4th rounder. The Jets were offering the swap and a 2nd rounder only.

My recollection is that based on some points system... for a team to move down from 10 to 20, they should get a 2nd and a 4th rounder. The Jets were offering the swap and a 2nd rounder only.

Everything I've read said the Jets were never offering the 2nd round pick, just toying with the idea of it while offering a 4th round pick.

The Jets wanted Tunsil and were willing to spend on moving up. But not spend big. More from Myers:

The Jets offered just one pick, their second-rounder, to flip spots. It was easy to say no. If they had also offered their fourth, the Giants would have been tempted. The second-round choice was not enough to drop 10 spots.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25579448/heres-how-the-jets-and-giants-nearly-pulled-off-a-draft-changing-trade