SportsWrath

Giants release LB Unga

Treehugger

The Football Giants parted ways with linebacker Uani Unga on Tuesday, according to SiriusXM NFL Radio.

The product of Brigham Young appeared in 13 NFL contests last season as a rookie, registering 59 total tackles, forcing a pair of fumbles, and bringing down two interceptions as a member of the NFL's worst overall defense. He assumed the middle linebacker position after starter Jon Beason was lost to injury early on.

An undrafted free agent, Unga missed out on the 2014 season with a torn MCL and ACL.

Undersized when compared with more traditional players at his position, Unga proved a below-average run defender and was routinely exposed against opposing tight ends, against whom the Giants posted a bottom-five defense overall and surrendered a league-high 80.8 total receiving yards.

Glad they solved those matchup problems with the TE's against LB's by drafting a fourth corner with the tenth pick and a LB that's poor in coverage

No. They solved those matchup problems by signing a star in Keenan Robinson.... You watch.

No. They solved those matchup problems by signing a star in Keenan Robinson.... You watch.

I hope so. I also hope Goodson is as good as our resident draft guru believes.

I have more faith in you and Jim than our jackass GM.

I hope so. I also hope Goodson is as good as our resident draft guru believes.

I have more faith in you and Jim than our jackass GM.

I don't know much about draft picks... but I look at them the same way "You are what your record say you are"... and since he's a 4th round pick, my expectations of him are as such... KR on the other hand, I've seen him play... and I think he's our best LB right now.... Kennard strikes me as Prince 2.0 or a shade above Beason... if I can't count on the player to be on the field, I don't think it matters how good he is... but we have enough good bodies at the LB corp to be respectable this season...

I can understand the draft and where bpa beats the need anyday.... my only regret is that I feel the should have taken the Jet's 2nd round pick and traded down and pick Lawson or Jack at that spot and still would have gotten Sheppard in the 2nd... a draft where you come up with Lawson, Jack, and Sheppard is an A+ no matter how you look at it... (picking Jack would have entailed giving up the Jets' 2nd rounder plus a later pick...

You can't count on Kennard to be on the field...but you're good with Robinson who was IR'd in preseason 2013, then had shoulder issues 2014 before a knee injury took him out, then had more shoulder issues for most of 2015?

I seriously don't get you guys sometimes.

You can't count on Kennard to be on the field...but you're good with Robinson who was IR'd in preseason 2013, then had shoulder issues 2014 before a knee injury took him out, then had more shoulder issues for most of 2015?

Oh but that all happened when he was in Washington! Now he is here and all that stuff is in the past! Clean slate my friend.

Now once he gets hurt here the plan is to bitch at Jerry Reese for even giving Robinson a one year deal.

One of them has to be good... or both of them = 1 good LB...

KR was signed to a 1 year deal... it's a show me year... and it's not like we broke the bank on him... beats the fuck out of all the dead weights we signed before him.

Now that Beason is gone, Kennard is assuming the title of "A Healthy".

I don't know much about draft picks... but I look at them the same way "You are what your record say you are"... and since he's a 4th round pick, my expectations of him are as such... KR on the other hand, I've seen him play... and I think he's our best LB right now.... Kennard strikes me as Prince 2.0 or a shade above Beason... if I can't count on the player to be on the field, I don't think it matters how good he is... but we have enough good bodies at the LB corp to be respectable this season...

I can understand the draft and where bpa beats the need anyday.... my only regret is that I feel the should have taken the Jet's 2nd round pick and traded down and pick Lawson or Jack at that spot and still would have gotten Sheppard in the 2nd... a draft where you come up with Lawson, Jack, and Sheppard is an A+ no matter how you look at it... (picking Jack would have entailed giving up the Jets' 2nd rounder plus a later pick...

Like you, I'm not happy with how the Giants handled the first round. They let the Bears run by and steal their lunch.

And I'm holding by my opinion that Ragland will have a bigger rookie impact than Shepard....but I am okay with the Shepard pick since I know at least the Eli will you him to the fullest. Could be another Steve Smith player, which I'll take in a heartbeat.

If Goodson can be an effective run stopper, and a disruptive blitzer, he will be a great addition.

Like you, I'm not happy with how the Giants handled the first round. They let the Bears run by and steal their lunch.

And I'm holding by my opinion that Ragland will have a bigger rookie impact than Shepard....but I am okay with the Shepard pick since I know at least the Eli will you him to the fullest. Could be another Steve Smith player, which I'll take in a heartbeat.

If Goodson can be an effective run stopper, and a disruptive blitzer, he will be a great addition.

I don't think there was a whole lot of separation between Ragland and Goodson...

I don't think there was a whole lot of separation between Ragland and Goodson...

In the "talk is cheap" podcast with Ranaan and Kratch, they brought up that it's really odd that as a Clemson linebacker, he was third-team All-American. Not a good sign.

In the "talk is cheap" podcast with Ranaan and Kratch, they brought up that it's really odd that as a Clemson linebacker, he was third-team All-American. Not a good sign.

What context did they say that in?

It looks like they haven't had a consensus all-american linebacker since Keith Adams in 2000.

That's an empty critique. Beckham was a 3rd team All American WR (AP) at LSU.

What context did they say that in?

It looks like they haven't had a consensus all-american linebacker since Keith Adams in 2000.

I don't get what that means either. Because Clemson was really good all their players should of been 1st team all-americans

It is amazing that Gettleman was mentored in the same line of thinking as Reese and is completely opposite now. Does not value corners and Reese thinks we need twenty, values LB's and Reese thinks we can survive with JT Thomas

It is amazing that Gettleman was mentored in the same line of thinking as Reese and is completely opposite now. Does not value corners and Reese thinks we need twenty, values LB's and Reese thinks we can survive with JT Thomas

We've also had defensive coordinators that valued DB's over LB's.