SportsWrath

Ed's kid

fringe

High motor, gritty... it's true. It's natural. Even when I was in my teens and 20's, go to the park for hoops, and picking teams, got picked last so many times, because 5'10" white guys aren't supposed to be good at basketball. That was until they saw me play, and that stopped happening. It's no big, I understood it. It actually made me relish every basket or nice assist I made. I actually was a pretty good player, I wish my knee would let me still play like that.

Holy shit, I totally thought you were Latino all these years.

High motor, gritty... it's true. It's natural. Even when I was in my teens and 20's, go to the park for hoops, and picking teams, got picked last so many times, because 5'10" white guys aren't supposed to be good at basketball. That was until they saw me play, and that stopped happening. It's no big, I understood it. It actually made me relish every basket or nice assist I made. I actually was a pretty good player, I wish my knee would let me still play like that.

I'm not saying he's wrong, just that compared to all of the benefits he's received from a super entitled life with a pedigreed family, he should probably just grin and bare it. I'm sure the kids who had to fight their way out of the inner cities are feeling very sorry for the kid. He just can't get a break!

I'm not saying he's wrong, just that compared to all of the benefits he's received from a super entitled life with a pedigreed family, he should probably just grin and bare it. I'm sure the kids who had to fight their way out of the inner cities are feeling very sorry for the kid. He just can't get a break!

yeah, exactly. Does he really think having virtually unlimited resources didn't contribute to his skill level?

I'd love to have him on the Giants though.

yeah, exactly. Does he really think having virtually unlimited resources didn't contribute to his skill level?

I'd love to have him on the Giants though.

Those were exactly my thoughts as I read the article (which is quite good).

• 3 weeks later...

Not all that much if I recall correctly........they just got him in space and we were fucked....our guys were slipping and sliding all over the place and never really got a good shot at him.....fucker is quick.

I think this guy could be a 3 down Dave Maggett in the NFL....he would be devastating in NE or Green Bay......its also not like there is a bunch of between the tackles running going on in that league outside of Dallas and Minnesota anyway.

More good news for Iowa fans....this kids all world QB brother...just signed with Michigan....he is built like Dad (6'4")....runs like mom. He'll win the Heisman with Harbaugh teaching him the ropes.

C. Wagon

Michigan signed Brandon Peters to play QB from this current class(Gatorade HS player of the year.) I wouldn't be surprised if McCaffery changed his commitment by 2017

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Been watching highlights of this kid. Love his speed and vision, seems like a smart kid... but he's got really stiff hips. He'll need a hole to run through in the pros, and our team doesn't exactly have road graders on the line.

Yoga!!! :rimshot:

Been watching highlights of this kid. Love his speed and vision, seems like a smart kid... but he's got really stiff hips. He'll need a hole to run through in the pros, and our team doesn't exactly have road graders on the line.

yeah, that was my impression too, not that I watch a whole lot of college ball. Hard to believe a guy with his timed speed is that stiff, but that's how he looked to me too. Ton of straight line speed though.

• 3 weeks later...

His agility drills were exceptional. My eyes were wrong, he isn't merely a straight line runner.

I'll have to take another look. He also might be one of those guys that is great in shorts and a t-shirt but is a different type of player with the pads on.

He's the 2nd best RB in this draft. Cook is good, but he has off field stuff, he has fumble issues, a hurt shoulder and didn't test well.

Cook will have a far better career at RB than McCaffrey. Don't overweight combine results. You can look at 40 times or just put on the game tape of him running away from everyone over and over again. 8.9 yards per carry for 169 yards and 4 TD's rushing against Clemson. 145 yards for 7.3 ypc and a score against Michigan. He's been awesome against a high level of competition for so long, 38 rushing TDs just in the last 2 seasons. He can run, catch, and block... and there is really not much to the off field stuff. On McCaffrey, I agree with BiC, I kind of believe McCaffrey should be a slot receiver.

I hope his so-so combine has him drop to 23. He is a perennial pro-bowl player. Don't get me wrong, I'm an FSU homer, and I really prefer the Giants get a RB in later rounds and get players at positions where talent is more scarce in the 1st and 2nd round, but Dalvin Cook is the real deal.

Vs Michigan (Go to 5:40 and tell me you're worried about his timed speed):

Look at him take the edge against Clemson, 6:58, and then again at 8:27, and then again at 9:24... trust me, you will want to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXpNE7dsgU

You can look at game after game and see him back big plays where he just explodes in the open field. I'll take that over 40 times in underwear every day of the week.

hmmm.... well, before I watched those videos Jim, I guessed Cook would be the best RB in this class (basing that mostly on highlights from last season).... but after watching with a more critical eye, I'm really not that impressed. Doesn't look like a first round pick to me.

yeah, McCaffery has much better patience and vision.... breaks more tackles... and I don't see any real difference in speed between the two.

I don't really like his ball security though, oddly enough. Cook has fumble issues too?

Ah well, Giants probably aren't going RB in the first round anyway.

Per PFF, McCaffrey averaged 3.30 yards after contact per attempt. Cook was at 4.19 (that's elite). Cook is a more powerful runner, he runs through guys. I have not seen this from McCaffrey. McCaffrey is a better receiver than Cook, although I wouldn't call Cook's receiving a liability at all, on the contrary, Cook is a good receiver, but does have concentration drops at times. Cook does have fumbling issues. I believe will be corrected with proper coaching.

Cook is a homerun waiting to happen; 40 TDs in the last 2 seasons (38 rushing), has a nose for the end zone down close.

McCaffrey 21 TDs in the last 2 seasons on the ground, 8 more through the air.

During that span touches and scrimmage yards for McCaffrey:

672 (590 rushing, 82 receptions) for 4,577 yards (3622 rushing, 955 receiving) in 25 games.

For Dalvin Cook:

574 (517 rushing, 57 receptions) for 4030 yards (3456 rushing, 574 receiving) in 25 games.

Cook generated 9 more touchdowns in 98 fewer touches, most of them running the football.

Cook 7.02 yards per touch, McCaffrey 6.8 yards per touch last two seasons.

Last year McCaffrey 26.36 touches per game, Cook 24.69 touches per game. Cook turned that into 2,253 yards and 20 TDs in 13 games.

McCaffrey 1913 yards and 16 TDs in 11 games. It's almost identical production on a per game basis. But another thing to consider is Cook played a considerably tougher schedule and put a hurting on some of the best college defenses in the nation.

Cook running for 19 touchdowns on the ground each of the last 2 seasons against some pretty stiff competition, to me is pretty impressive.

Cook is a more productive player, a more powerful player, a faster and quicker player, especially in pads, and a better pass protector. McCaffrey is a more finesse player, and a better receiver. I also believe Cook has better vision as a runner than McCaffrey.

I am not down on McCaffrey the player. I think he will be a great weapon in the NFL. I see him as a versatile player, sort of like a young Matt Forte at the next level. I don't know if he's going to be the good run between the tackles guy, but he can be a guy who can get 15-20 touches per game, probably best used with another RB to serve as the hammer in the offense. I just don't think he fits what the Giants need at RB right now. Cook does (minus the fumbles). Cook reminds me of a young Lesean McCoy, except he's a better pass protector than McCoy was when he came into the NFL.

Regardless, I'd much rather the Giants get a RB in later rounds. I like Joe Williams of Utah late, De'Angelo Henderson in the 6th round (hopefully, probably need to get him in the 5th), or even Kamara in the 2nd, Marlon Mack in the 4th is another really good option, or Jeremy McNichols. There are a lot of good choices that would make more sense to get later than investing a first rounder at the position.

I'm really surprised you don't see Cook as a first rounder, CD. You have to factor in the types of games he was having... he was doing it against Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Florida... these were some of the best defenses in college football last year.

Here's his UNC game (I think it's better to watch full game reps than highlight videos):

Somehow I see Mcafferey in Pats uni

Yeah he's a Billy guy.

With them trading for the TE from the Colts they don't need to worry about bringing back Bennett.

Must be nice to have a coach/GM who can basically replace key players with ease like it's no big deal.

I wouldn't be surprised the day that Brady hangs them up they still roll on with whoever they get behind the wheel.

I'm really surprised you don't see Cook as a first rounder, CD. You have to factor in the types of games he was having... he was doing it against Clemson, Michigan, Miami, Florida... these were some of the best defenses in college football last year.

yeah, I really haven't seen enough reps to have a 'valid' opinion. Watched a few of those draft countdown tapes on both guys, I just thought that McCaffery was making more of what he had. And he had some damn nice holes to run through too at times, so its tough figuring....

I don't care how great a RB can be... with our OL not being able to open holes, it's basically wasting a draft pick... I'm against drafting a RB in the early rounds most of the time... The exception is the combination of a super start in the making being drafted and a decent OL... which we don't have right now...

I have no idea why the Giants tagged JPP... but I guess they think so highly of him moreso than I do... Not sure what their strategy is but we need to address our OL especially after signing Marshall.