SportsWrath

Ben Macadoo promoted to head coach

osi724dasack

I'd bet that spags is Mara's choice, not mcadoo. I am not going to go as far as to make comparisons to jerry jones and al Davis but this owner is much more involved than Id like an owner to be

You could look at it that way...or you could consider that the guy calling the shots is one of maybe four people who really knows, first hand, who's been an asset and who's been a liability.

Thanks. I agree that McAdoo has done well in some aspects, but I just think it's a year or two too early for his HC opportunity. The baptism by fire that he'll surely receive in 2016 is part of why I think 2016 is not going to be ideal.

Firing Coughlin, I'll give a B. I agree that the HC needed to go.

Not firing Reese, I'll give a D. I think he needed to go more than the HC. It'd be an F, if it weren't for OBJ and his finally addressing the neglected-for-years offensive line.

Hiring McAdoo, I'll give a C+. Again, I think they got spooked into it a little bit and I don't feel he's completely prepared.

Keeping Spags, I'll give a C. I don't believe his defense last year was indicative of him as a coordinator. I don't feel that he can be fully evaluated until the talent on defense is improved dramatically. So, I won't rank keeping him lower...but because of how keeping him paints the picture on Coughlin, I can't rank this move any higher.

So far, coaching moves are a C+ for me. We'll see if the new offensive coordinator brings that up at all.

This year, I thought if Coughlin was tossed that Reese should be gone too. I understand the need to switch gears after 12 years.

I'm starting to warm up a bit to the McAdoo hire because from here out, the ax is hanging over Reese's head. The only reason this team was even in most games was because of the offense....keeping some continuity going while they rebuild the defense seems to make some sense.

I really hope they bring Coughlin back as a consultant....that's a shitload of coaching experience that can be kept inside this organization and I think the front office needs all the help they can get.

Plus, if Reese fucks the dog (high probability), the Giants could dump him and Coughlin could assume interim duties.

My spidey senses tell me that Coughlin stays with the Giants, with a job that gives him a shitload of flexibility. Mara should sweeten the pot by offering Chris Snee a gig as well.

Mike Garafolo Verified account @MikeGarafolo

Giants expected to promote QB coach Mike Sullivan to offensive coordinator, sources say. Joe Philbin to have a different title (Asst HC?).

McAdoo is still expected to be the team's play-caller. It's his offense and he's held that responsibility the past two seasons. Sullivan did not have experience in a West Coast-style offense until returning to the Giants last season.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/01/mike_sullivan_to_serve_as_giants_offensive_coordin.html

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 2m2 minutes ago

No official announcement on staff, but sources expect Mike Sullivan as OC, Steve Spagnuolo as DC, Joe Philbin as Asst.HC/QBs, as reported.

SB Nation NFL @SBNationNFL 11m11 minutes ago

The Giants officially announced Ben McAdoo’s hiring and Eli used the word “excited” A LOT http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/13/10765098/ben-mcadoo-giants-head-coach-hiring

I was going to post this

McaDoo and philbin worked together in Green Bay ,as most of us know. Mcadoo (GB 2006-2013) was TE coach during the Packers super bowl win and went on to be Aaron Rodgers QB coach til the Giants hired him. while Philbin was the Packers OC from 2003-2011 after the 2010 Super bowl the following year he was tagged as the Dolphins HC. So there would be a lot of familiarity or cohesiveness within the offense

But now reading (pdub) that Sullivan may move up to OC and philbin assistant HC/QB coach and Mcadoo may still be calling the plays. seems like there will be a lot of room for miscommunication Although Mcadoo may be doing this because he learnt it from Mccarthy.

LOL I don't get it. What possible reason do we need an offensive coordinator for if he isn't calling the plays?

There are and have been plenty of HCs who call plays.. not sure what the problem is here...

Well there is a lot of money and time now invested in Eli so it's not surprising he has a big say in Giants matters. I think most of use would have liked an outside hire to bring a new perspective but this isn't surprising. Eli is the franchise after all.

And like Bomani Jones was saying, Eli still sucks against good teams and good defenses so it's not really like he has magically fixed Eli. He has cut down on his interceptions by castrated the offense.

And like Bomani Jones was saying, Eli still sucks against good teams and good defenses so it's not really like he has magically fixed Eli. He has cut down on his interceptions by castrated the offense.

Actually Eli did very well against all teams regardless of how good their defense is... we should have beaten the Jets, and the Patriots... and many other teams if it wasn't for dumb shit outside of Eli's performance. And btw that's how most teams cut down on INTs...

Did he win the games?

No because he couldnt convert on third down when it mattered, convert in the red zone when it mattered, or avoid turnovers in the red zone when it mattered. And a shit ton of that is on our green new head coach.

It is still a team game, a team win and a team loss.

Two games during the 2015 season with three interceptions and eight games with none at all.

Eli Manning wasn't the problem in 2015. Don't worry he has a handful of years left in the NFL and we will be out looking for a franchise QB soon enough.

I saw that, Macky is going to have a ton on his shoulders being HC. but we can't have those picks in the redzone and kill drives like Eli has been doing.

Did he win the games?

No because he couldnt convert on third down when it mattered, convert in the red zone when it mattered, or avoid turnovers in the red zone when it mattered. And a shit ton of that is on our green new head coach.

Yea Eli dropped the game winning free Interception.

Yea Eli dropped the game winning free Interception.

That wouldn't have mattered if we had gotten a TD instead of a FG. I will say, in the Patriots game Odell had it and then was stripped by Butler, so that's not on Eli, but at other times, the offense had chances to close the game out with a TD and got a FG instead, and it came back to haunt us. Not going to research, but think this happened in the ATL and first DAL game, or one or the other, among other times. When you are 29th in red zone efficiency in the NFL, with the massive shortage of good QB play this year around the league... That can't happen when you have Eli Manning.

Look at this link and see the teams ahead of the Giants in this area. Think about those teams and their QBs. Disgraceful.