SportsWrath

Ben Macadoo promoted to head coach

osi724dasack

Im actually quite happy with the move. Would have loved Hue Jackson but no major complaints here. Atleast the continuity is there. Now just get some good players on D and I think Spags can churn out a competitive unit. With Cruz back - hopefully and maybe another good WR....and the offense becomes good as well.

Just that if this was gonna be the case....might as well have given Coughlin the option to play out his contract for another year.

Think I am more pissed off Spags is coming back. Guys been trash since 2008. He's coordinated the two worst defenses in NFL history

You are incorrect sir.

Yardage is but one measure. All offensive yardage numbers are record breaking in this era of football. Statements like yours exaggerates reality. To me, points allowed is the greater statistic. People always focus on yardage too much... Just like with the offense. Everyone gives too much credit to yardage... and yes, Eli and the offense has piled up some nice yardage numbers. But scoring stats, and the stats that are related to scoring (ex. red zone scoring efficiency), those are more important. Because the object of football is to score the most points you can while limiting your opponent to the fewest points. It is not to gain the more yards than the other team.

By these measures, the Giants have shown some decent improvement on offense and struggled in some areas. They were 6th in the NFL in scoring but outside the top tier... being Carolina, Arizona, and New England. Defensively, the Giants were last in the NFL in yardage, but when it comes to points allowed, the Jaguars and Saints were worse. There's no pride to be taken in being 3rd worst in points allowed in the NFL. However, this defense wasn't the worst in the NFL even just this year. That designation belongs to the Saints... because they gave up the most points.

Further, coaches can only coach, and you can't coach yourself out of the absolute wasteland of talent that was the defensive roster this past season. It will never happen, I don't care who your coach is. Vince Lombardi isn't coaching these guys to a good defense this year. Spags can't sack the quarterback or hit running backs in the backfield. He can't cover the opposing team's #1 WR or cover the TE. He can only coach his guys. They simply didn't have the players this year. But it was only year 1 of Spags. He IS not just a good coach, but a great one. Strahan has said it, Tuck has said it, Pierce has said it. Cullen Jenkins and other current Giants believe in him. He will get this defense turned around if Reese can get him some players. I have no doubt about that and happy he's staying.

I'm fully onboard with a McAdoo, Philbin, Spags coaching heirarchy. It's a little surprising, but the way I look at it is this... McAdoo has had the benefit of coaching and learning from two of the best: Mike McCarthy and Tom Coughlin. And now he has two former head coaches to help guide him on his staff. This can work. But only if Reese fixes the roster.

Ok they were third worst in points allowed and usually to get to the endzone you have to gain yards to get there. He failed to develop young guys like Moore and Bromley as well. Your saying he's good coordinator only if he can take over a team already chock full of talent.

You want to use points allowed as a barometer, ok they were third worst in points allowed. He failed to develop young guys like Moore and Bromley.

Failed to develop Moore? An unaccountable asshole that was given multiple chances and couldn't show up to meetings and practices on time? Come on dude, listen to yourself.

Bromley... tell me, how do you know the talent is there? I hope it's there.... but guys have to produce, man, you know this. If your criticism is Moore and Bromley, I'm countering that even if Moore and Bromley could've become good players this year, which would've been a herculean task, that wouldn't have made a difference with this team because the personnel deficiencies on defense were too deep to overcome. Come on man, you know the cupboard was bare from a talent perspective.

No doubt and injuries played a part. Prince regressed when he came back from injury. Thing is Moore and Bromley didn't get chances. You can't tell me it would of been worse starting Bromley than starting Kuhn or 65 year old Cullen Jenkins, you already know what you have there

Some of you guys are nuts. This move reeks of not wanting to put in the work to rebuild so instead, they'd prefer to keep fans happy by "making changes" but in reality, are keeping the status quo. 7-9 season at most next year. If this was the move all along, why not keep Coughlin, too? Another ridiculous half-measure. The right move was to get a new head coach in here, let McAdoo walk to Philly, and get rid of Spagnuolo who has proven time and time again that he simply can't win in this league without an all-pro defensive line.

Im very happy with the decision.... Macadoo improved an offense that had 2 star players only.... Besides he must've impressed ownership... And we get to keep Spags too.

We will never know how many star players were on this team because he took 31 games to figure out that Rashad Jennings should be a feature back and almost as long to figure out that tight ends can be part of the offense.

Well a new OC is coming in, hopefully takes the play calling AWAY from McAttack.

Never seen an offence rely so heavily on having a WR turn a 5 yard slant into a 55 yard TD.

Because we don't have any RB's.

You are incorrect sir.

Yardage is but one measure. All offensive yardage numbers are record breaking in this era of football. Statements like yours exaggerates reality. To me, points allowed is the greater statistic. People always focus on yardage too much... Just like with the offense. Everyone gives too much credit to yardage... and yes, Eli and the offense has piled up some nice yardage numbers. But scoring stats, and the stats that are related to scoring (ex. red zone scoring efficiency), those are more important. Because the object of football is to score the most points you can while limiting your opponent to the fewest points. It is not to gain the more yards than the other team.

By these measures, the Giants have shown some decent improvement on offense and struggled in some areas. They were 6th in the NFL in scoring but outside the top tier... being Carolina, Arizona, and New England. Defensively, the Giants were last in the NFL in yardage, but when it comes to points allowed, the Jaguars and Saints were worse. There's no pride to be taken in being 3rd worst in points allowed in the NFL. However, this defense wasn't the worst in the NFL even just this year. That designation belongs to the Saints... because they gave up the most points.

Further, coaches can only coach, and you can't coach yourself out of the absolute wasteland of talent that was the defensive roster this past season. It will never happen, I don't care who your coach is. Vince Lombardi isn't coaching these guys to a good defense this year. Spags can't sack the quarterback or hit running backs in the backfield. He can't cover the opposing team's #1 WR or cover the TE. He can only coach his guys. They simply didn't have the players this year. But it was only year 1 of Spags. He IS not just a good coach, but a great one. Strahan has said it, Tuck has said it, Pierce has said it. Cullen Jenkins and other current Giants believe in him. He will get this defense turned around if Reese can get him some players. I have no doubt about that and happy he's staying.

I'm fully onboard with a McAdoo, Philbin, Spags coaching heirarchy. It's a little surprising, but the way I look at it is this... McAdoo has had the benefit of coaching and learning from two of the best: Mike McCarthy and Tom Coughlin. And now he has two former head coaches to help guide him on his staff. This can work. But only if Reese fixes the roster.

I'm with you. These guys can win if you give them starting caliber NFL players. Heat's on Reese.

McAdoo is not the confidence booster Giants fans were looking for after a dismal season. I think I fall into that group of fans. I was looking for fresh blood, a fresh perspective, a new guy. At the same time, I think there is some true validity to maintaining consistency, especially on offense with Eli. If Eli has 5 more years, then I think McAdoo has 5 more years.

I do question brining back Spagnuolo...that move speaks of McAdoo's unfamiliarity with defense and available defensive coordinators. I understand having offensive minded or defensive minded head coaches, but for my money, they'd need to show an understanding from the other side of the ball as well. The knowledge base has to be broader and McAdoo just saying that he'll bring back the guy from last year...it just doesn't sit well. Not to mention, it's never a comfortable working environment when previous equals, both who went for the promotion, are now in a boss-employee relationship. Can Spags deal with reporting to McAdoo? We'll see. Further, keeping Spags really shows that the Giants are pinning the season on Coughlin, and I can't agree with that. The posts stating, 'why didn't we just keep Tom' are 100% accurate. More change was needed.

At the end, I can't really criticize the move too much. I do think the Giants got a little spooked into signing McAdoo today with Jackson's signing with Cleveland and Philadelphia's interest in McAdoo. I'm not sure the Giants were overly comfortable, but were relying on feelings of two years ago when they clearly brought McAdoo in as a HC-in-training. One thing is for certain, barring some major impact players being brought in, I fear that 2016 is going to be a rough season.

Yeah it certainly looks like it. Spagnuolo is staying but who else? I would have like Dan Campbell to come up here and have a role but he went off to New Orleans. So four more years of Jerry Palmieri and Seph's Cowher avatar.

I'm going to start a petition to ask Seph to remove the Cowher avatar... It annoys me personally.. and I don't think Seph should risk pissing off the Soup Nazi... or.. see my avatar.

As far as Jerry Plamieri, idk what the Giants are going to do from now on.. but I hope for a change.

McAdoo is not the confidence booster Giants fans were looking for after a dismal season. I think I fall into that group of fans. I was looking for fresh blood, a fresh perspective, a new guy. At the same time, I think there is some true validity to maintaining consistency, especially on offense with Eli. If Eli has 5 more years, then I think McAdoo has 5 more years.

I do question brining back Spagnuolo...that move speaks of McAdoo's unfamiliarity with defense and available defensive coordinators. I understand having offensive minded or defensive minded head coaches, but for my money, they'd need to show an understanding from the other side of the ball as well. The knowledge base has to be broader and McAdoo just saying that he'll bring back the guy from last year...it just doesn't sit well. Not to mention, it's never a comfortable working environment when previous equals, both who went for the promotion, are now in a boss-employee relationship. Can Spags deal with reporting to McAdoo? We'll see. Further, keeping Spags really shows that the Giants are pinning the season on Coughlin, and I can't agree with that. The posts stating, 'why didn't we just keep Tom' are 100% accurate. More change was needed.

At the end, I can't really criticize the move too much. I do think the Giants got a little spooked into signing McAdoo today with Jackson's signing with Cleveland and Philadelphia's interest in McAdoo. I'm not sure the Giants were overly comfortable, but were relying on feelings of two years ago when they clearly brought McAdoo in as a HC-in-training. One thing is for certain, barring some major impact players being brought in, I fear that 2016 is going to be a rough season.

Good post.

I think McAdoo did a good job with Eli, but like you said, the inference seems to be that Coughlin was the one at fault last season.

I will say that last year there were a few games where I questioned some of the late game decisions and clock management, but I think those situations were driven by the pressure of roster weakness; with a stronger defense, I don't see Coughlin pushing the envelope as much.

Anyway, I think the McAdoo move is a C+ move which follows the F grade I give for tossing Coughlin under the bus in favor of Reese.

To your point, I think 2016 will suck. I have no confidence in our GM or our training staff to field a talented roster and keep them healthy.

Good post.

I think McAdoo did a good job with Eli, but like you said, the inference seems to be that Coughlin was the one at fault last season.

I will say that last year there were a few games where I questioned some of the late game decisions and clock management, but I think those situations were driven by the pressure of roster weakness; with a stronger defense, I don't see Coughlin pushing the envelope as much.

Anyway, I think the McAdoo move is a C+ move which follows the F grade I give for tossing Coughlin under the bus in favor of Reese.

To your point, I think 2016 will suck. I have no confidence in our GM or our training staff to field a talented roster and keep them healthy.

Thanks. I agree that McAdoo has done well in some aspects, but I just think it's a year or two too early for his HC opportunity. The baptism by fire that he'll surely receive in 2016 is part of why I think 2016 is not going to be ideal.

Firing Coughlin, I'll give a B. I agree that the HC needed to go.

Not firing Reese, I'll give a D. I think he needed to go more than the HC. It'd be an F, if it weren't for OBJ and his finally addressing the neglected-for-years offensive line.

Hiring McAdoo, I'll give a C+. Again, I think they got spooked into it a little bit and I don't feel he's completely prepared.

Keeping Spags, I'll give a C. I don't believe his defense last year was indicative of him as a coordinator. I don't feel that he can be fully evaluated until the talent on defense is improved dramatically. So, I won't rank keeping him lower...but because of how keeping him paints the picture on Coughlin, I can't rank this move any higher.

So far, coaching moves are a C+ for me. We'll see if the new offensive coordinator brings that up at all.

Thinking about it, maybe Mac wont be anything like we expect. Maybe he is gonna be a bigger change to the team then everyone thinks. Who knows how he is gonna approach this job.

Now that Im forced to deal with this, just trying to find a bright side.

Yeah, the draft and FA needs to be 80% defense and 20% offense. The O played very well against some good Ds this year and if Cruz gets his shit together could be amazing.

Maybe there is a reason Coughlin didn't look too pleased with management. Looking like he was most definitely thrown under the bus now and that's bullshit for a 2 time SB winning coach. Fucking amateur hour here. Having said that, as a Giants fan, I hope MacAdoo is the next Belichick or Shula or Landry but confidence is low. As pointed out this isn't a half measure...it's a quarter measure.

The biggest reason I'm ok with McAdoo as HC is that it's been reported that Eli lobbied for him.

But if this ends up with Coughlin coaching the eagles, I'll be sick and pretty upset.

Watch the Video.

p.s. I was going to say watch this video dude!!!! but I felt 4 exclamation points would of been too much.